• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Remove spark plug

macath

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello !

I want to know how to access and remove my spark plug on my Honda NC 700X (2013) please ?

Thank You !

I agree with the above... But just for the hell of it, remove the lower cowl to make things easy. Then pull on the black coil end until it pops out of the hole. The remove the plug using a 5/8ths deep well socket with extension. Best way to get the plug out of the hole once loose is either pushing the black coil wire end over the plug again or using a magnet. Easy as pie:)

My spark plug sockets have a rubber insert that holds the plug in the socket when inserting or removing them. Just the ticket for plugs out of a hot engine.

The NC plugs are accessed by removing the spark plug wire/boot. Righty tighty, turn lefty for loosey.

The thought that jumps into my mined is....
If you are unable to figger out how to remove a spark plug..
Should you be playing with the motor in the first place ?..
Sorry it may sound a bit harsh...

The thought that jumps into my mined is....
If you are unable to figger out how to remove a spark plug..
Should you be playing with the motor in the first place ?..
Sorry it may sound a bit harsh...

True !!!!!
But everybody has to start somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of unnecessqary crap being thrown at OP here for asking a beginer question. We all had a first time unless we haven't done it yet. The first part of a legitimate question is how to get to it which was answered. All the fear on screwing up the removal is bull. Remove the wire, put the socket on it and turn counter clockwise and it will come out.

Where most people screw up is putting it back in, and plenty of people with experience have done it. Multiple stories of the shop mechanic doing it and screwing up someone's engine requiring rethreading. It is very easy to cross thread and the aluminum head will requre a repair if that is done. Best to start with plug held with fingers but may not be able to reach. A good trick I was shown is to take a short piece of rubber hose that fits tightly over the plug. The hose will hold the plug for insertion but is not able to put enough twist on it to cross thread it. Then remove hose and tighten with socket. Pay attention to torque spec as over tighten will also screw up the aluminum head.

Good luck to the OP and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are probably plenty of people lurking on this thread and learning something because you asked the question.

I wasn't giving him crap. I didn't have a clue how to get at the plugs on the NC. Never saw a need to look into it until I get ready to change them, and with just 7,500km on the bike, that ain't going to be for a while yet.

One or maybe two things to remember when replacing the spark plugs.

1. when removing them make sure the DEEP socket is seated all the way down on the spark plug.
2. When installing a spark plug do NOT start the spark plug with the racket on the socket, take the ratchet off, and use just the socket and 6 inch long extension so that you do not cross thread the spark plug threads, put it in and turn it by hand No Ratchet, i usually use a small amount of anti seize on the threads of the plug tighten by hand and then once the plug is hand tight then put the ratchet on and tighten only 1/2 turn No more, I usually use a torque wrench

Note; the Iridium spark Plugs last for 32K miles so it should be a while before you would need to change them

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiosly, there are no instructions for the spark plugs in my spanish owner's manual, just a line in the maintenance schedulle for inspection every 16,000 miles and replace at 32,000 and a note to let the Honda dealer do the job

Does the spark plug need to be "gapped", and if so gapped to what distance? (I may be showing my age with that quesiton!)

I'm up to 32K miles, so it's time to do it. Looks pretty straight forward, but things that look that easy make me pause!
The advice on using the spark plugh socket and fingers to thread it properly was thoughtful. I will do that.
I have a torque wrench, so I can get the torque pretty close to what it should be.
The service manual gives specs for what plugs to use. I think I'll just take that spec into the local parts store, and just point, and hope the clerk will help me find the right one.

Are spark plugs interchangable between cars and motorcycles?

Last edited:
The NC engine uses iridium spark plugs. AFAIK, iridium spark plugs doesn't have to be "gapped"

Does the spark plug need to be "gapped", and if so gapped to what distance? (I may be showing my age with that quesiton!)

I'm up to 32K miles, so it's time to do it. Looks pretty straight forward, but things that look that easy make me pause!
The advice on using the spark plugh socket and fingers to thread it properly was thoughtful. I will do that.
I have a torque wrench, so I can get the torque pretty close to what it should be.
The service manual gives specs for what plugs to use. I think I'll just take that spec into the local parts store, and just point, and hope the clerk will help me find the right one.

Are spark plugs interchangable between cars and motorcycles?

Plug change is every 32,000 miles.

I now have 500 miles on Champion Plug Part #9802 and Champion Plug# RC8WYPB4. No problems at all.

The Champion plug is $7.17. The Honda plug is around $29.00.

The NC engine uses iridium spark plugs. AFAIK, iridium spark plugs doesn't have to be "gapped"

With the few Iridium plugs I have used in the past (not NCX, yet) I have always checked the gaps, but never needed to adjust. It's entirely possible they *might* need it, but off hand I'm thinking between Honda and NGK, they set the bike's requirements to match "optimal" in conjunction with NGK's out of the box specs, based on the plug chosen for the application.

NGK Spark Plugs USA

The Iridium centre electrode, like the NGK link mentions, is tiny and uber delicate. You can FUBAR them by checking them wrong, let alone gapping them wrong. Being gentle, careful, and the correct methods and tools are very important.

Probably best to spend a while practicing removing the spark plugs from diesel engines. Nobody has ever screwed that up.

They don't offer the diesel version in North America. Can you imagine the torque if they did?:D

Macath, when you put it back in, don't forget to turn the plug backwards (counter-clockwise) until you feel the threads of the plug seat into the threads in the head. When you feel the click, then you can screw the plug in normally. I don't use the wrench until I have it screwed almost all the way in. If you can't get it in a reasonable distance with your fingers, back it out and try the counter-clockwise thing again. I've seen friends cross-thread sparkplugs and no good ever comes from it.

Back