• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Basic maint questions

captjakesparrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Moto newb here. I just completed my first oil/filter change, as well as cleaning and lubing the chain. It went pretty well, but I have a couple questions.

• I bought the wrong crush washer so I ended up re-using the stock one. Is this a big deal?
  • I want to get a swing arm stand for the next time I lube the chain, does this require any installation?
  • While removing the lower fairing to get to the oil filter, the screw head on one side stripped IMMEDIATELY. I was able to get at the filter with just the one side undone, but I would like to fix this. What should I do about the screw?

Thanks.

1. I don't think re-using the washer over for one time is a big deal. I believe I saw some posts in a thread about oil changes saying that they rarely change it out, but others that change it out every time. I didnt' change it out on the initial oil change, but will on the next one.

2. No idea.

3. I actually got a shortie (2.5 inch) filter and had not trouble removing and replacing it without removing the lower fairing. I don't have any suggestion about the screw other than to google removal of stripped screw. Sorry no help there.

HTH, Erik

If the drain plug is not leaking and the proper torque value was applied, don't worry about the crush washer until next time. I've actually reused them many times with no problems.

As for the screw head, order a replacement screw from Honda. It is a special shoulder screw that protects from crushing the plastic, so it's unlikely you'll find one at a hardware store. In the future, be sure to use the appropriate metric wrench and fully seat it in the screw head. Honda has been cursed at more than once for over tightening fasteners on the model. They probably damaged the screw.

Removing the old screw will be a challenge. If it were mine, I'd cut a slot in it with a Dremel disk and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it.

Greg

Last edited:
Moto newb here. I just completed my first oil/filter change, as well as cleaning and lubing the chain. It went pretty well, but I have a couple questions.

• I bought the wrong crush washer so I ended up re-using the stock one. Is this a big deal?
    No it isn't a big deal. I used the same one for 60k on a bike before (didn't know I was supposed to change it then). Also as for torque. The value in the shop manual is for DRY threads. After an oil change they will have oil on it. Honda has to supply a torque value for legal reasons (no lawyer in the world could understand "tighten until snug")
  • I want to get a swing arm stand for the next time I lube the chain, does this require any installation?
    I would suggest a center stand rather than the swing arm stand. That way you always have it with you
  • While removing the lower fairing to get to the oil filter, the screw head on one side stripped IMMEDIATELY. I was able to get at the filter with just the one side undone, but I would like to fix this. What should I do about the screw?
    670cc answered this perfectly

Thanks.

had to add 10 characters to be able to post

RE: The shallow hex bolt. Were you using a ball-end hex key? If so, that is likely the problem. Before you resort to drastic measures, try a common flat cut hex key on it. The ball-ends do not engage enough to remove the screw. If you have already buggered it with the ball-end, then sterner measures may be necessary.

RE: Swingarm stands. Most of them require a set of spools on the swingarm to engage the stand. You can get the centerstand for less money and it has other utility as well.

RE: Crush washers. I have the right to remain silent. We'll see if I have the ability.

We are missing a perfect opportunity to get into annealing crush washers for continued reuse............ :cool:

I once tried annealing the washer. Then I looked away for a second, and it was a pile of aluminum on my stove. Last time I tried that. I'll spend the 40cents or whatever it costs for a new crush washer. I resume them at least once, most likely 2-3 times.

[*]I bought the wrong crush washer so I ended up re-using the stock one.

Does anybody know the part number or size spec for the correct crush washer? I don't see anything in the owner's manual for it, and I haven't capitulated on buying the service manual yet. I guess I could just visit the dealership to get the right ones, but I prefer online shopping when possible.

Answer your questions in reverse order.
3. Go to Sears or any auto parts store and purchase a hand impact. I bought mine in 1964 at Sears, and they still sell the same exact one. This is how to remove a bolt from any aluminum engine. I made a lot of money off of new to biking customers who strip the bolts. Hand impact is used by all motorcycle pros. MMI teaches new techs to always use hand impact and torque wrench, but as soon as they get to the dealership they try to short cut job. This would really upset me as the owner of the dealership.
2. The swing arm stand is a must, but it is a pain to install.
1. Crush washers can be used only once. You have to over torque to have 2nd time used crush washer to not leak any oil. Can replace with a brass washer that can be used over again. Made a lot of money over the years putting in stainless coils at the oil plug. To get the 2nd time used crush washer to not leak, you must over torqued it. Engine heats up over time, strip goes the threads.

Answer your questions in reverse order.

2. The swing arm stand is a must, but it is a pain to install.

I think he (Old Can Ride) was referring to a Center stand, as in Honda or SW motech which attaches permanently to the bike.

I also think the original poster was actually talking about a swing arm stand that lifts the bike from the rear wheel axle, but is not permanently attached.

Back