• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tips for travelling in Switzerland

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hello all friendlies

I was asked the question by Black Rider in a PM.

How to navigate the Gotthard Tunnel?

Therefore I will start this thread to discuss any questions you may have with regards to Switzerland tours (on bikes).

1. Lane-splitting is not legal but it is tolerated when there is a jam. If you ride respectfully and with due care, you are allowed to lane-split in walking pace traffic.

Therefore, in the lead up to the Gotthard (unless you drive a Goldwing which is bigger than the VM Golf), then you can slowly make your way up to the front. However, I would not do this when you clearly see a Police car etc.

2. Inside the Gotthard Tunnel (it is 17km long and usually at 60kmh or 80kmh), you MUST NOT lanesplit but stick to your position.
Ensure you have good lights on.
Ensure you have something to cover your ears and mouth/nose (it can be stinky in there).
Ensure you DO NOT fall asleep.

3. In Switzerland, speeding is not tolerated, especially motorcycles. Everyone is NOT in a hurry anyway.
If you go above 5kmh of the restriction, then be prepared to pay a fine when you reach home. Police here have lots of mobile radar/laser detectors, and they have rectifications with most EU countries. The fine will reach you, but if you don't pay, you are self-banning yourself from this motorcycle heaven.

4. Oh yes, you will need to buy a 40chf Autobahn Vignette (sticker) and it needs to be stuck onto a non-removeable part on your motorcycle (no need to be visible but needs to be shown to traffic cops when asked).
Fine is 200chf +40chf for Vignette.

Hope this helps.
:D

Happy Joe

Thank you Happy Joe, for your private answer and then now for these publics advices.

I prepare a trip to Croatia for the next week, infortunately I don't have the time to ride on small roads and have to take the motorway.

But I will try to find a week-end next months to have a ride on the Sankt Gotthard pass and enjoy the scenery. (and restaurant!)

B.R.

Wow these tips are really good for those who have wished to take tour Switzerland but at that time I have planned for the US because my family insist to me do visit and want to enjoy there..

I agree that Switzerland is a motorcycling paradise. However from my own experiences, and also from discussing Switzerland with other motorcyclists who have visited that lovely country, my advice to motorcyclists is do not break any motoring rules whatsoever when riding there. Not only will the Police make you pay for mistakes but local Swiss citizens will take pains to report you also. Be warned !

Back