• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quick Question, Yes or No About Mirrors

VTHokieAg

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the mirrors swivel at the point where they attach to the stem? I'm not talking about the bottom of the stem with the locknut. Mine seem tight as heck.

You might. Looking at them, it should become clear that it's essentially a ball-and-socket joint. My bike's left-side one is adjusted all the way in one direction in order to be aimed correctly for me. The mount rod on that side is rotated a bit 'too far' in order to be tight, so that mirror is out of adjustment juuust when I get it where it needs to be. Just watch for that, is all I'm suggesting.

Side Note

Something to point out regarding the mirror just in case anyone might be messing with the hardware: The right side mirror stalk assembly screws into the front brake master cylinder "bracketry" with "normal" right hand threads, but the threads on the locknut and stem itself are left hand threads. I realized this after frustratingly getting nowhere wrenching on it in a vise, then taking a close look at the threads and seeing the spiral running the other way. :p Fortunately, I realized my error before I broke anything.

I believe on the left mirror, all threads are right hand threads. So now you know all but one are right, and the one that's left is left (on the right).

Greg

Last edited:
You might. Looking at them, it should become clear that it's essentially a ball-and-socket joint. My bike's left-side one is adjusted all the way in one direction in order to be aimed correctly for me. The mount rod on that side is rotated a bit 'too far' in order to be tight, so that mirror is out of adjustment juuust when I get it where it needs to be. Just watch for that, is all I'm suggesting.
Remember that the mirror stem is meant to be adjusted also. That's what the lock nut nut at the base of the stem is for. Easiest way I know of to adjust mirrors is to first center the mirror head ball joint in the stem socket, then loosen the lock nut at the base of the stem fully and screw the base of the stem into the mount until it stops. Then rotate the stem back out until the view from side to side in the mirror is good. Now tighten the lock nut to hold the stem in position. Finally adjust the up down and fine tune the side to side view at the ball and socket joint on the mirror head. This will give you the largest possible range for any future adjustment.

Bob

Back