• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air Filter Change, How much do the air filters Cost?

W

westgl

It looks like the Oem Air Filter for the NC700X is roughly $35.00 + shipping $$, so maybe $40.00 thats without any labor involved

I NEVER USE K&N Air Filter as to me they do Not remove enough dirt & i do not want to turn any of my vehicles in to a Vacuum cleaner, especially not My new or Old Scooters.

I have some/several Goldwings that I do my own servicing on,

I bought a second OEM Air filter plate for my Goldwings, it looks like the oem NC700X is similar, but I have not seen one up close and out of the bike.

What I do on my goldwings is buy the second Oem air Filter Plate (air filter element that is in a Plastic Plate) I take the old one that i removed the plastic plate is reusable, I then take a exato knive or Box cutter and cut out the Paper element out.

Once the paper element is removed get one the right size of the filter needed and the size of the filter used.

On some I had to cut the filter so that is fits snugly into the old Air filter Plastic plate (Old air filter media previously removed) and (put a piece of was paper down on the bench first) put the plate on the wax paper with the new filter in it,

Or you maybe able to find a filter that just slips right in and glue it in, with shoo goop, let it dry 24 hours, note when gluing make sure there is enough glue around filter that it is sealed on all sides between filter and filter base plate.

Then take a tube of Shoo Goo and put a good bead all the way around the filter, to seal the New filter to the old filter plate. It should not take more than half a tube, probably less.

I will do the same to my new NC700X when I receive it from my local dealer,

I will need to find the most cost effective filter through napa by the size of the honda OEM and how many filters i can make out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The paper air Filter I liked and used most often was WIX brand sold by Napa, if you dont mind using a Fram they can be had at wally world for maybe less.

I think the filter cost was around $12.00.

filter cost was about $6.00 - $7.00ea not including your time, but I can easily renew a filter plate in about 10 minutes or less, not including dry time, removal or installation time.

Wix also has Fleet pricing if you buy 6 filters (case price) they are $6.12ea or $36.72 for case of 6ea.

At $30.00ea that's $180.00 + shipping $$, or at $40.00 ea. x 6, it would cost ya $240.00

But I am not sure of the service interval for the air filter, 6 filters will probably last you Years worth of riding

Update: the filter i used on a Goldwing cost me $9.50 not $12.00 this was buying just at napa

If i knew what the Paper filter media size was then I could check it that way to get the right size

That seems like a lot of work to save a few bucks. I must charge more for "my time" than you. Don't get me wrong, I like cheap too. I don't think I could trust anything I cut up and glued back together for an air filter.
Mike

Actually the one that i used a in my Goldwing GL1500 was approx $9.00 and for about 10 minutes or less of work it was not that difficult.

That One i did not Cut at all, it slipped in Snugly in the air filter frame, if you get one the right size it will push in snugly into the filter plate.

an extra 10 minutes to me is no big deal,

and if you forget to order a Honda filter you can pick up the other at napa locally.

I under stand that some people only like to ride and may not want or be able to do any maintenance to their bike, and leave the maintenance to others.

I will see if i can get the right sized air filter for the $6.00 price or less from Napa, The goal is $5.00 or less

I paid $35 for mine. No shipping required. Here's what one looks like for those that make their own.

Last edited:
The filter interval, if I recall correctly is 12k miles. I'll most likely change it every 15k. Depends on riding conditions, and what the filter looks like at 12k. I opened the airbox right when I got the bike. Cleaned the shipping dust out and took note of just how big the air filter is! It's bigger than any of my cars, or family's cars that I have seen!

I don't wish to get into the "K&N filters are the Devil" thing here lol, but I will just point out that I have decades, and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of very happy successful km's on all my vehicles, which for the most part, had a K&N put in right off the showroom floor. The one in my Suzuki was put in over 22 years ago.

There is a dude with a VStrom approaching 400,000 miles, and he has used a K&N from the start. (he also uses those absolutely crucified Fram oil filters and *gasp* car motor oil btw...)

More power to you, westgl, I mean no disrespect to your way of doing things and your efforts to pass along some neat ideas ;)

I paid $35 for mine. No shipping required. Here's what one looks like for those that make their own.

Where did you get it for $35.00? My Honda dealer said $50..00+. I found one on the net for $35.00, but they wanted $18.00 for shipping!

Pricing really seems to depend on the dealer. My dealer does price matching so all I usually do is go on the web and find the lowest price, print out the web page, and take it to my dealer. They match the price and order the part. No shipping cost to me, but I do have to pay sales tax. At any rate, it may be worthwhile to see if your dealer will agree to match Internet parts prices.

Bob

Where did you get it for $35.00? My Honda dealer said $50..00+. I found one on the net for $35.00, but they wanted $18.00 for shipping!
Like Spaceteach said, I have a great relationship with my local dealer. He would like to get $50 for it and might from some customers but he price matches. I check two Honda OEM parts sites - right now I am using Ron Ayers and Cycle Parts Nation - get the on line price and he matches it. If it is some part they will never stock he charges $2 to $5 shipping but in the case of the air filter he ordered two, one to put on the shelf as a NC700X maintenance item and sell the other to me and entered it on a Honda stock order so I got free freight. Lots of folks dislike their dealer but I have worked at keeping a good relationship with Honda of Jacksonville, now Cycles of Jacksonville. I can't tell you the times they have helped me out with odd parts, service, and DIY service questions I come up with. I think any good dealer should do this. The money I would have spent online stays in their business and I am a loyal customer.

Ran into a dust storm in the middle of the desert not so long ago. Sure glad I had the K&N filter on my bike a that time. Had to pull out filter and clean it, but the trip continued. This is the lonely time in my life I have ever been in a dust storm.

My lawn mower is in a dust storm every weekend. I take the non-cleanable air filter out now and then and tap it to remove the caked-on dirt/dust layer and replace it cleaner than it was then buy a new one it at the beginning of the next season. The filter did its job. I would do the same with any air filter that is over exposed to dusty conditions.

On my Goldwings that had a flat filter, in a plastic panel.

I would get a filter for a chevy, toyota, from Napa (Wix brand) about the same size as the panel it would be going into.

Cut the Old filter out of the plastic panel with a box knive, fit the new filter in.

Then use Shoo Goop, to seal around the edge of the filter to the plastic panel.

Let it dry over night on a piece of wax paper.

I would by a second OEM filter, and then have one on the bench drying/in storage while the other was in the bike ready for use.

I paid about $6.00 - $8.00 for filter replacement.

I don't wish to get into the "K&N filters are the Devil" thing here lol, but I will just point out that I have decades, and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of very happy successful km's on all my vehicles, which for the most part, had a K&N put in right off the showroom floor. The one in my Suzuki was put in over 22 years ago.

There is a dude with a VStrom approaching 400,000 miles, and he has used a K&N from the start. (he also uses those absolutely crucified Fram oil filters and *gasp* car motor oil btw...)

More power to you, westgl, I mean no disrespect to your way of doing things and your efforts to pass along some neat ideas ;)

+1 on the K&N. First air filter change on every vehicle I've owned is a K&N. And with proper oiling, they filter everything an o/e filter does. Haven't had to change the NC's filter yet but have been going over the service manual and see it's not that difficult. Will probably do an oil change ahead of time and replace the air filter before the August HU event in NC (not SC)!

You guys, do what you want, it is your bike.

I have had K&N on Goldwing bike's and will NEVER! EVER! use them on anything but the trash can.

Even when oiled right they let way too much dirt past them, after removing the filter for cleaning, looking down in the carbs, convinced me that they were not doing their job, and for me to qualify them as a filter that i would use on anything that i care about.

Last time I was in a dust storm was last evening. Last one before that was earlier this week. Before that was... either last weekend or last week. Anyway, you see the point. :)

Data shows me that air filters subjected to significant dust loading pass more abrasives through to the engine. That combined with our common dust storms, my consequent more-frequent-than-the-manual-says air filter changes, and the very high price of the Honda filter makes this idea very intriguing to me!

Here ya go folks. Can't say about the quality but the price is right. Given these bikes come from Thailand, May be these are back door factory filters. I'll order one and compare it to the factory filter I ordered yesterday from CheapParts.com. also ordered oil filters, haven't found an after market source yet for the DCT filter.

Motorcycle KL65 Air Filter For Honda NC700 CTX700 2012-2015 Sale - Banggood.com

Given these bikes come from Thailand

My 2012 NC was built in Japan. It says so on the VIN label. Have they changed to building them in Thailand?

My opinion is that the aftermarket air filter would be fine. I'd guess the vast majority of cars and trucks on the road are running non OEM air filters. Here's a thread about another aftermarket air filter: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/12373-anyone-used-hiflo-air-filter-opinion.html?highlight=aftermarket+air

Last edited:
Back