• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Does "breathable" WATERPROOF rain gear exist?

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
I only have experience with 2 brands. Frogg Toggs (jacket and pants) and Goretex (pants only).

Both products claimed to be "breathable" and "waterproof". For the most part, they are. Buuut, both pairs
of pants let water pass through them in the groin/butt area. This happens to be where my weight
is pressing down on the seat. I'm guessing "breathable" is only "waterproof" when there's no pressure
working against the outside layer of the fabric (i.e. me sitting on it).

I hope there are some products that are true to both claims.
If there are, please let me in on it!

Last edited:
Hello Fellow NC Rider,

I too had the same problem as you, as I ride every day I needed kit that wouldn't create problems and let me go about my daily routine without having to worry about things like getting wet and staying dry.

I had previously heard about Rukka but never considered it properly, however it's changed my entire riding experience.
I've used it for about 8 months now, in that time covered about 12,000 miles including a wet trip to Scotland and severe down pours commuting home from work.

The Goretex works very well with the Cordura fabric and I would highly recommend it, it is expensive but a standard cheaper suit of a different brand would cost you a third of the Rukka suit and you would probably replace the cheaper suit 3/4 times depending on how much you ride before the Rukka kit is worn out, some reviews show people have had them for 8+ years and are still going strong!! + 5 year warranty.

I did a little blog about it here:

My Rukka Motorcycle Gear | NC700X Adventures

My Aerostich Roadcrafter is waterproof and breathable. I have to make sure the zipper flat is sealed properly and in a really driving rain I stand on the pegs every so often to allow water pooling in my lap/crotch to drain.

Frogg Toggs makes a nice standing-around rain suit, and I even use the jacket on nice days as a windbreaker and the pants for blocking the wind when commuting on chilly dry days....but they ought to be horsewhipped for presenting their product as a motorcycling rain suit. I keep a set of Komine rain gear for when it rains.

Rukka gear looks like its some great stuff, but I just looked at the pricing. Woowza!!
Its a good thing I was sitting on my couch lol. I do want to buy the best gear I can afford, and
I can't afford that stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion.

+1 for Aerostich products. I like the fact that I can keep riding if it starts to rain and I don't have to stop and put on rain gear. The Gore Tex works better in the SE US than traditional rain gear as you are not clammy.
Mike

I use some cheap gear I found that was only $20. Keeps me dry and not too hot during the mid summer downpours. My only problem with the setup is they used tinfoil for the zipper pull. You have to be careful zipping the jacket up, but I'm going to replace the pull with a better one sooner or later.

Rain Suits - Black Pants - 5031 - $21

+1 for Aerostich products. I like the fact that I can keep riding if it starts to rain and I don't have to stop and put on rain gear. The Gore Tex works better in the SE US than traditional rain gear as you are not clammy.
Mike

I tried the tan Darian Light for a week in San Antonio (2005) but was way to hot for the 85+ degrees that week and that is cool for San Antonio so I sent them back. I may have pre judged as that was on my Wing. The X gets a lot more wind but I ride all year long and June - August it is 90+ with 100 most of july and august. Wayne Bower of MotoportUS sold me on the MotoPort Challenger ($149.00) as is "good 95 - 30 degrees" and is waterproof. Well I tried it today in the rain and ... I did keep me dry but when I got home had to let it shed the water in the Garage...Still it was also ok at 96 degrees as long a moving a little... I want a suit or two piece you can wear and not have to stop and add rain protection but be able to wear semi comfortable a 95 degrees. On the X I need to keep the number of extra garments to a minimum. Did I quit on Aerostich to soon?

I have a Klim Traverse jacket and pants kit and I've been in the big rain quite a few time and no water ever touched me under my suit. I've never had another waterproof kit before other than a rain suit and I'm really very happy with the Klim. There are some well placed ventilation zippers that make it comfortable even when it' is hot. I wear it at up to 30 Celcius when riding at good speed but in the woods at slow speed, it's another thing... The only thing I regret is that I choosed the black instead of the gray.

Pondering the "puddle problem" AKA the "wet crotch syndrome." Use a BEADRIDER SADDLE PAD. Gives excellent airflow and water movement so you do not sit in a puddle on seats that tend to be concave. And its a lot cheaper than most of the " 100% waterproof suits " out there.

Back