• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

rear axel nut

ziggie

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought i had the socket to fit but i don't to adjust chain when needed.what size is axel nut.looks like a 22mm or 25 thanks

The axle side is 22 mm, the nut is 27 mm. In an alternate world a 7/8" and a 1 1/16" fit close enough.

big adjustable wrench sized...

Yeah, that's what I used to get the wheel off this last weekend. I didn't have my big set with the 27mm socket to torque the nut to the 72 foot pounds called for in the service manual. Was thinking about a run to Autozone to buy one when my friend sitting there in a lawn chair drinking beer pointed out that I could use the torque wrench on the other smaller axle bolt head while holding the the big nut with a crescent. Felt like an idiot there for a minute, but was happy I didn't need to waste the gas, money, and time on a tool I didn't need. Of course I'm sure he'll never let me forget it -- that's what friends are for!

There are combination wrenches made with 27mm and 17mm, I believe mine came from Moose racing. The 27mm for the rear axle nut and the 17mm for the front. Which I use with a length of 17mm, cut from a hex wrench. The length of hex fits in the axle. Part of the tool kit I put together. May not ever need the tool for the front wheel on the road, but the tools for the rear will probably use for a bit of chain adjustment. I have seen this wrench listed on ebay also.

Art

Yeah, that's what I used to get the wheel off this last weekend. I didn't have my big set with the 27mm socket to torque the nut to the 72 foot pounds called for in the service manual. Was thinking about a run to Autozone to buy one when my friend sitting there in a lawn chair drinking beer pointed out that I could use the torque wrench on the other smaller axle bolt head while holding the the big nut with a crescent. Felt like an idiot there for a minute, but was happy I didn't need to waste the gas, money, and time on a tool I didn't need. Of course I'm sure he'll never let me forget it -- that's what friends are for!

When it says to put 72 lbs of torque on the bolt, .... how do you know how much you're putting on at any given moment?
It's time to adjust the chain tension, and I note i have to loosen that bolt. Makes me nervous. I'd like to know that my rear tire will stay attached to the motorcycle while cruising at 65mph!

Is there a chain adjusting thread somewhere? I've read the manual, but I'm always looking for experienced advice.
(yes, I've done the search too...that's what I'm doing now, and that's what brought me to this thread.)

When it says to put 72 lbs of torque on the bolt, .... how do you know how much you're putting on at any given moment?
It's time to adjust the chain tension, and I note i have to loosen that bolt. Makes me nervous. I'd like to know that my rear tire will stay attached to the motorcycle while cruising at 65mph!

Is there a chain adjusting thread somewhere? I've read the manual, but I'm always looking for experienced advice.
(yes, I've done the search too...that's what I'm doing now, and that's what brought me to this thread.)

You adjust the torque wrench to the final torque value before you begin. As you tighten the nut, the force required to keep turning it increases as it tightens. When the torque reaches the set value on the wrench, it's indicted by either a click, reading an analog scale, reading a digital display, a vibration, and/or a beep, depending on what kind of torque wrench you have. Then you know you have reached the specified torque value.

The torque value for the axle nut is just that: it is how tight to make the nut. That in itself has nothing to do with the chain tension.

Greg

You adjust the torque wrench to the final torque value before you begin. As you tighten the nut, the force required to keep turning it increases as it tightens. When the torque reaches the set value on the wrench, it's indicted by either a click, reading an analog scale, reading a digital display, a vibration, and/or a beep, depending on what kind of torque wrench you have. Then you know you have reached the specified torque value.

The torque value for the axle nut is just that: it is how tight to make the nut. That in itself has nothing to do with the chain tension.

Greg

No, it doesn't, but you can't adjust the chain tension without loosening the rear wheel nut. I've found a $22 Sears wrench that measures torque, so I'll start with that.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't, but you can't adjust the chain tension without loosening the rear wheel nut. I've found a $22 Sears wrench that measures torque, so I'll start with that.

Hey Strat,

Just read the instructions that comes with the tool -- Sears stuff usually has pretty good instructions. If it's a "clicker type", then remember to set it back to it's lowest setting and put it in it's case when you are finished using it. At that price it may be one of the analog types though....

Not sure what to think of this - had the Honda dealer replace tires about 6 weeks ago. Put ~3,000 miles on the bike since then. Hard to describe but seemed like there was a little 'float' in the rear end while riding yesterday. Was checking things over after my ride - I could unscrew the rear wheel axle nut with my bare hand! I'm like - Holy Crap! I'd been doing a bunch of Interstate stuff lately. Grabbed a box wrench and my torque wrench and tightened it up to 60 ft-lbs - just as a guess - lug nuts on the truck are 85 ft-lbs, didn't think it would be that high on the bike. I see here 72 ft-lbs is the correct value, I will go back and re-torque it later. Could this thing have loosened up on its own? Or it is more likely it was never tightened correctly to begin with? Is there anything that could have gotten damaged during this time? Anything else I should check because of this?

Not sure what to think of this - had the Honda dealer replace tires about 6 weeks ago. Put ~3,000 miles on the bike since then. Hard to describe but seemed like there was a little 'float' in the rear end while riding yesterday. Was checking things over after my ride - I could unscrew the rear wheel axle nut with my bare hand! I'm like - Holy Crap! I'd been doing a bunch of Interstate stuff lately. Grabbed a box wrench and my torque wrench and tightened it up to 60 ft-lbs - just as a guess - lug nuts on the truck are 85 ft-lbs, didn't think it would be that high on the bike. I see here 72 ft-lbs is the correct value, I will go back and re-torque it later. Could this thing have loosened up on its own? Or it is more likely it was never tightened correctly to begin with? Is there anything that could have gotten damaged during this time? Anything else I should check because of this?

Had it been properly torqued, it could not loosen on it's own. The dealer screwed up, which is, sadly, all too common. Be sure to tell them about it. In the future don't use them, or if you do, be sure to double check their work. It's for your own safety.

Greg

Jelo,
Might be a good idea to check chain adjustment and rear wheel alignment when you re-torque the axle. They're probably OK, but it never hurts to be sure.

Bob

Jelo,
Might be a good idea to check chain adjustment and rear wheel alignment when you re-torque the axle. They're probably OK, but it never hurts to be sure.

Bob

Not sure how you check alignment - I looked at the axle position with respect to the chain tension adjusters on both sides and they looked to be set to the same marks.

Had it been properly torqued, it could not loosen on it's own. The dealer screwed up, which is, sadly, all too common. Be sure to tell them about it. In the future don't use them, or if you do, be sure to double check their work. It's for your own safety.

Greg

Yea - that's what I thought the torque spec was for. It is the dealership I bought the bike from and is here in town, next one is 100 or more miles away. Thought they would be able to handle it. And - right - its all about safety isn't it.

I'd go back to the dealer, ask to see the owner and tell him what happened. He needs to get the wheel/chain alignment checked and see if the loose wheel cause any other damage (it could have strained or stripped the threads on the adjusters for example). He needs to fix any problems to your bike and have a word with the technician who forgot to torque the rear wheel. It happens, many think they don't need to use a torque wrench, just give it a good tug and it'll be fine. Make sure he understands that you're pissed off with the lousy work. If he gives you a load of crap complain to Honda. They might even do something sensible like terminate him if they've had enough complaints but don't hold your breath if he sells a lot of units.

jelo,
In the How To section of the forum there is a thread started by Beemerphile on drive chain maintenance. It's a really good tutorial on how to adjust the chain and align the wheel.

Bob

Jello,
In the How To section of the forum there is a thread started by Beemerphile on drive chain maintenance. It's a really good tutorial on how to adjust the chain and align the wheel.

Bob

Good idea - think I did look at some of that early on. I forget sometimes what all resources are available here - thanks for the reminder.

I just adjusted my chain yesterday,,,I just used the tool kit...I never bothered to torque the axle nut up after cos I have no torque wrench.,but in thirty years of adjusting chains I have never used a torque wrench ,and never had a wheel come lose,(must,nt speak too soon) I do,nt think much to the chain adjustment marks,,,,my chinese moto is alot better to adjust....Hey Jelo I would go back to your dealer waving the axle around and ask to speak to the mech! then explain the situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back