• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shoei TZ-1

CircuitRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a line on a gently used helmet. Unfortunately I can't find this model to research it. How old is the Shoei TZ-1? If the model is okay, how much is a good and fair price?

No. That is why I'm asking for more info. I'm looking into it though. This is all new to me.

Personally I would never consider a used helmet as you don't know it's history for sure. it could have been dropped without any signs to the exterior but hard enough to damage the interior. Also the most important thing about choosing a helmet is fit. Try a helmet on and if it feels snug without being too tight it should be Ok. Fasten the strap tip your head forward and get somebody to face you and gently tug the helmet forward. it should hardly move.
I really recommend that you spend a few dollars more and get a new one. Remember you only have one head so protect it the best that you can

I'm with Rocker on this one. I would never buy a used helmet. Also, when trying on, move your head right and left, you don't want any movement from the helmet when doing that as well.

isn't there also the 5yr rule? i've always been told to check the man date, cuz the composition starts to lose it's
effectiveness after 5 yrs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365173518.050078.jpg

Helmet purchased locally with 40% off sale $89
Icon jacket on Craigslist $50 plus my old wakeboard
Gloves goatskin and Kevlar on Amazon $24
Total spent to get ready for safety course: $163
Finally getting into the motorcycle world: priceless

The "five year rule" is based on the Snell foundation recommendation (see below). The operative word is that helmet materials "may" deteriorate over time. Arai, and other manufacturer's I suspect are similar, will warrant the helmet for five years from date of purchase, but no longer than seven years from date of manufacture. So if you buy a helmet on sale (or used, not recommended), find out the manufacture date before you buy it to make sure you get the full warranty.

"Finally, the protective capability may diminish over time. Some
helmets are made of materials which deteriorate with age and therefore
have a limited life span. At the present time, the Foundation recom-
mends that motorcycle helmets be replaced after five (5) years, or less if
the manufacturer so recommends."

the shell might be ok but its the interior that perishes as it is made of polystyrene etc
but then again NEVER EVER BUY SECOND HAND like Rocker say you don't know the history for sure.
your head is worth a dam sight more that a used or cheap helmet.
once that grey matter is damage that's your life over as you know it.
you can live without your leg but not your brain no matter how small it maybe.!!!

Helmet was brand new at Honda Dealership. Just realized I didn't stipulate the helmet was new with tags, gloves new, jacket used. I really appreciate all the tips and information on this forum. I was reading a thread yesterday that said the helmet should be loose enough not to give you a headache but tight enough you can't chew gum. That really helped when trying on helmets in the dealership.

View attachment 3423

Helmet purchased locally with 40% off sale $89
Icon jacket on Craigslist $50 plus my old wakeboard
Gloves goatskin and Kevlar on Amazon $24
Total spent to get ready for safety course: $163
Finally getting into the motorcycle world: priceless

First time rider? Me too. Prepare yourself, the love of motorcycling with encapsulate your life. I went from a shut in, video game player, to an outdoor adventure man and couldn't be happier. Welcome bud.

I know the OP already bought his helmet, but here's another good tip to check for a proper helmet fit.

With the helmet on and the strap secured, grab the helmet in the chin area (assuming full face here), and
move it up and down/vertical motion. Your scalp should move with the helmet. If the helmet slides over
your scalp instead, then the helmet is too large.

Back