• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain lube

cdnuser

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious what other nc riders use to lube the chain and how often? And those of us without a centre stand how do you guys do it with a side stand?

Make sure its o ring safe.i have no center stand.spray move a little.spray move a little.you get the idea.

I use Pro Honda sold at the dealership. Figure it's probably what they use so it should be OK. Without a center stand you need to physically roll the bike ahead a bit at a time. Bit of a nuisance, but it will do the job. The center stand was the first thing I bought after purchasing my NC. It is worth the investment.

Check this thread out for my poor man's chain lube stand: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1291-poor-mans-chain-lube-stand.html

I've used a few chain lubes that work well. PJ1 Blue Label isn't bad. Maxima Racing Synthetic Crystal Clear Chain Guard is one I just tried and it seemed to stay put on the chain. I've used the Dupont products as well; they're clean and simple but I'm not totally convinced of their lubrication properties.

Frequency depends on the environment. Lots of rain and you'll need it lubed more frequent. Lot's of dust and you'll be cleaning more often. Since I run in generally clean, dry environments, 500 to 1000 mile intervals works for me.

Greg

Last edited:
I use either the Honda chain lube or DuPont. Their is a web site that tests lubes and their current favorite is Original Bike Spirits, but its hard to find where I live.
As to how you do it without a center stand, you can move the bike a little at a time, but it was worth it to me to just get a swing arm stand. In the US you can get them from around $25 to $50 on sale, but I don't know if Canada has the same vendors.

Bob

I don't have a center-stand either, so I picked up a Hardline rollastand from Cycle Gear. It works ok, if I put a 1" board under the kickstand to make the bike sit more upright, it doesn't try to walk off the roller. I use the Maxima chain wax every 400 miles.

I use Worth Chain Wax in the winter and Wurth Dry Chain Lube in the summer, I find both of these work well and last a great amount of time!

I use a paddock stand to lube the chain, helps get an even coat and doesn't cost much to buy!!

The original formula for the Dupont multi-use lubricant was the best, but was changed and the wax component removed. No longer recommended by WebBikeWorld. Their chain saver is now considered their best and is very good. Dries clean in 10-15 minutes doesn't make a mess.

The original formula for the Dupont multi-use lubricant was the best, but was changed and the wax component removed. No longer recommended by WebBikeWorld. Their chain saver is now considered their best and is very good. Dries clean in 10-15 minutes doesn't make a mess.

I used that for years... I find that the Honda chain lube, the white bottle with red label version is very close to the Dupont that I used to sue. Honda is a little more but bigger bottle... :)

I use the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver every 500 miles (actually every 2 fill-ups, which is every 2 weeks). I would spray it on after I get home, while the chain is still warm. Done.

DuPont(R) Teflon(TM) Chain-Saver Lubricant, Net Wt 11 oz. (CS0110101) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Every other chain lube, I would clean the chain with DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser. Spray it on and scrub with brush. Rinse off with water and let dry. If I am impatient, I would use a compressor. Once the chain is dry, apply the Chain Saver.

DuPont(R) Motorcycle Degreaser, Net Wt 11 oz. (M00110101) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I decided to try something different with this bike.I'm only going to use Honda chain lube and oil.I was also going to use only Honda oil filters but at $15 each that might change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. So seldom do I use OEM if I can help it! When it is better than OEM and cheaper too, well, best possible scenario.

I use the DuPont stuff (from before the labeling change) periodically. No set mileage nor time schedule; just kinda when I think of it and know it's been several hundred miles since I did it last, or if I've been in a 'special situation' that would indicate washing the bike and/or lubing the chain.

Once this last can is used up, I'll probably use the newer DuPont chain stuff. Or, maybe not. :)

I use the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver every 500 miles (actually every 2 fill-ups, which is every 2 weeks). I would spray it on after I get home, while the chain is still warm. Done.

DuPont(R) Teflon(TM) Chain-Saver Lubricant, Net Wt 11 oz. (CS0110101) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Every other chain lube, I would clean the chain with DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser. Spray it on and scrub with brush. Rinse off with water and let dry. If I am impatient, I would use a compressor. Once the chain is dry, apply the Chain Saver.

DuPont(R) Motorcycle Degreaser, Net Wt 11 oz. (M00110101) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I buy the same stuff at Walmart for 6 bucks and change.

Back