• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sudden change in handling

nc700xbarcelona

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
In the last couple of weeks my NC has changed in the way that it handles. Beforehand, it was sure-footed, stable and predictable.. Now it feels like I'm riding on tiled floor covered in oil, ( slight exaggeration for effect ;-)) it just doesn't feel the same!
At first I thought my tyre pressures might have dropped significantly, but checked out OK. Everything seems to be tightened up and as it should be so I'm a bit baffled and disappointed.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It could be lots of things, you've eliminated tyre pressure but that still leaves tyre wear, wheel alignment. tightness of wheels/chain adjusters, steering head bearings etc.

It sounds serious so I'd check the bike from front to back to make sure everything is as it should be - and if you don't find anything take it to the dealer. The situation you describe sounds strange and could be a sign that something is about to fail.

Chris

Did you recently wash the bike? If you did any chance you used some kind of tire dressing on the tires? Those products have no business any where near a bike.

Did you recently wash the bike? If you did any chance you used some kind of tire dressing on the tires? Those products have no business any where near a bike.

My thoughts as well. But bearings could cause the bike to feel uneasy if they are failing. Surprisingly I have met a few people that have put "tire shine" on their motorcycle tires. It may look good but just like lubing your chain it's going to sling all over the tire when you ride. Also check all suspension components to make sure they are torqued to spec

Roller or ball type bearings (steering head) do not "break in", they are either good, starting to flake/pit (bad) or they are flat out wasted. It is possible the adjustment nut has backed off (or tightened up) and the steering head bearing is out of adjustment, if they were bad you would feel the roughness when turning the handlebars lock to lock while stationary or moving. A too loose or too tight steering head adjustment might create the conditions you describe.

Thanks Xcellor8, I need to check the adjustment, as I had a recent experience of the rear wheel nut not being tightened properly. Beginning to conclude that the dealer didn't do a very good job on pre-delivery inspection....or any kind of job at all!
I have around 4,000 KM on the clock, so I'm sure the tyres are OK as well as the health of the bearings etc.
I'm not the most mechanically minded of contributors to this forum, so any suggestions of where to look and what to look for would be great! I suppose I could take it back to the dealer and have them look at it, but don't want ot get in to an argument about who pays!

Tyres should be ok at 4000km. I believe 42psi for the back tyre is too much, just my personal opinion from experience. Until I reduced it I was having similar sensations especially in the wet, as the rear tyre was not heating up sufficiently. Bear in mind also that big variations in ambient air temperature will also have a bearing on tyre pressure up or down. I assume you always check the pressures cold before riding the bike at all ?

With regard to the Steering Head bearings I suggest that you elevate the front wheel off the ground and check if there is a notch in the bearing where it centres, with the wheel in line. That can also cause instability in handling. I have found in the past that most manufacturers overtighten the head bearings causing this problem.

On the other hand the steering bearings could also have loosened but this would show as a knock in the handlebars over rough ground or when braking.

Other than that the other aspects to be looked at are as mentioned above by other folks. Check that the back wheel is in line ( the chain adjusters are a rough guide for this ) , that the axle nut is torqued sufficiently, that the front wheel axle is torqued sufficiently, that there is no play in the wheel bearings ( unlikely in such a new bike ). Generally common sense stuff. I hope the above is sufficiently clear, but if not please feel free to IM me.

Back