• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Boots or shoes: any recommendation?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
I am rekitting after many years, riding with only minimal protective equipment.I need a pair of Touring boots but I cannot wear normal sized touring boots, due to my short legs (I am 168cm) and big foot size (42 or 10.5).I would prefer Gore-tex lined rainproofs, but then my budget is around US150-200.Looks are secondary but important too.Does anyone know of any brand or specific model, which I can review?Thanks.

I don't know about touring boots, but all of the guys that I am going to be riding with have the following...

Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

I know they are slightly out of your price range, but would be well worth the extra $$, especially if you can get them on sale.

They have a few different versions being vented, regular, and waterproof. They are also extremely comfortable and will last a long time.

Here in this country 'Altbergs' are generally thought to be one of the best waterproof and long lasting boot. They make them on the premises in various 'no nonsense' styles and are favoured by many police forces for their comfort and sturdy construction. Perhaps they are a little out of your price range, but still the best value for money I've had in over 50 years of biking. (you won't need to replace them for many years!)

I don't know about touring boots, but all of the guys that I am going to be riding with have the following...

Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

I know they are slightly out of your price range, but would be well worth the extra $$, especially if you can get them on sale.

They have a few different versions being vented, regular, and waterproof. They are also extremely comfortable and will last a long time.

Thanks Poot
I will keep an eye out for them.
I mentioned my problem with "normal tall boots", I look silly wearing them at size 43.
The boots cover like 70% of my calves (lower leg).
:p

Here in this country 'Altbergs' are generally thought to be one of the best waterproof and long lasting boot. They make them on the premises in various 'no nonsense' styles and are favoured by many police forces for their comfort and sturdy construction. Perhaps they are a little out of your price range, but still the best value for money I've had in over 50 years of biking. (you won't need to replace them for many years!)

Any links to pics or shops?
Thanks.

Interesting that I'm coming at this from the opposite direction, not having ridden much since passing the Basic Rider Course and being bikeless until the 700 arrives, I've been tooling around with the "K-Mart Special" Texas Steer KADMUS2 workboots which double nicely for work. I like the inside zipper (so I don't have to fiddle with laces) and the fact that its breathable fabric. I'm not ready to be riding in rough weather just yet, but recognize I will have to update my footwear when the time comes.
IMG-20120802-00968.jpgIMG-20120802-00969.jpg

I've been getting compliments from the non-rider crowd... and they can't believe it only cost $29.99...

Last edited:
Wow, if the pic at this link is it 202369, that's some mighty fine looking boots!!

I like the elegant simplicity of it all. How are the heels on hard surfaces? I'd consider wearing it to work. What I'm not in the mood for is doing daily wardrobe changes before and after work, so this would be ideal for me... (future boots). Thanks ;-)

How do Motorcycle boots like the Alpinestars perform in the real world? I would hate to change shoes when I get to work everyday, and vice versa.

I buy my "riding" boots at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Like the others, they look good enough to wear all day long in my office since my pant legs cover the tops most of the time...or the legs are stuck under the desk where no one can see them. For $25-50, I can pick up some excellent waterproof boots. They aren't "riding" boots with impact protection, but otherwise do the job well.

Chris

I can't find a modern riding boot to fit me. When I needed racing boots I had to have a pair custom made in Mexico. I wear an American size 12 EEEE, Try finding that. I'm relegated to what ever boot I can find that will fit with my size and a high instep

I can't find a modern riding boot to fit me. When I needed racing boots I had to have a pair custom made in Mexico. I wear an American size 12 EEEE, Try finding that. I'm relegated to what ever boot I can find that will fit with my size and a high instep

I'm in a similar but smaller predicament, size 9.5 EEEE

Even though it's a resurrected thread, I'll throw in my two cents in case anyone's using it as a 'boot recommendation' thread in the future: I am really happy with these jump boots. Granted they're not motorcycle boots per se, but they're good all around boots, and felt downright cheap after looking at motorcycle-specific boots. You can search around for some coupon codes that will knock 10 or 15 percent off as well.

I am a fan of Danner Acadia. That i what I wore to Alaska / Yukon / NWT and they literally went through hell and high water. They are not "proper" motorcycle boots, but then, I am not a"proper" motorcyclist so we match. You want steel toes or not? Hot weather / temperate design? 200-400-600g Thinsulate? Mens or women's? Extra narrow or wide? Optional front zippers? Gore-tex? Dri-Lex? All made in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Build them like you want them.

Boots are so personal.
I am also in the group where we believe buying and wearing what works, and not just those labeled "motorcycle touring boots".

2 months ago, I finally gave in, and bought one pair of Motorcycle Touring boots (first pair in my life), waterproof, breatheable and LOOKS really like motorcycle boots (they are Alpinestars).
So...sometimes it is good to "look the part", as some of my hardcore riding buddies say. Those in full leathers and back-protectors and all the kit.
They weight a ton and they keep buy bikes with more and more PS.
:(
Not so clever are they?

Back