• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

left side hand grip removal/replacement

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fairly new rider so if my epiphany here isn't news to you, please bear with me. Anyway, I needed to remove the hand grip to replace the left side bar end insert and was kind of stuck on the problem, pun intended, because I wanted to reuse the hand grip. I solved my problem by going down to my local grocery store and getting a "flavor injector", a big needle used to pump marinade into turkey or whatever, and a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol. I used the flavor injector to inject the alcohol between the bar and grip to dissolve the grip glue and had the grip off in about 90 seconds with a $5 investment in extra materials.

Going the other way, a stranger in the bike shop recommended using hair spray instead of grip glue to re-affix the grip, allowing a day for it to dry. He seemed like an experienced rider, in to buy new dirt bike gear for a growing son, so I decided to try it. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

"Flavor injector" was very good idea...............some stick a thin blade screw driver under the grip and spray WD40 or contact cleaner or other solvent etc. Spraying compressed air under the grip also is a well used technique and no solvent is used.

Hair spray trick has been around for years.............it can and does work.....depending a few variables. Grip glue, Polyurethane type Gorilla glue some use JB weld are other choices some better than others.

hairspray works well, both as a lubricant to slide the grip back on, and as it dries it gets tacky and holds the grip in place.

I have used the hairspray trick with good results but until now I didn't know that such a thing as a flavour injector existed. As they saying goes "live and learn"
Rocker, you haven't ate until you have had Cajun fried turkey. Inject it with Cajun seasoning and deep fat fry it. Yummm

You can use Olive Oil or Canola as an alternative that tastes just as crispy.... My issues are what to too with the multitude of oil after I've fried a turkey. Need a diesel version of the NC to go biofuel with it.

For what its worth, the hairspray is working like a damn - even in the perpetual wet of Seattle's winter and spring.

When I changed bars, I slid a thin screwdriver under it and spun the grip. Came right off. The Protapers are knurled so I didn't think anything but grip glue would hold it on. I slid it on without any adhesion to test fit and it's been that way ever since. Haha. About 8k miles that way and hasn't moved a bit. This street bike stuff is so less demanding than dirt bikes. :)

Back