• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air filter (K&N? Any other brands?)

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
The easiest mod for a bike, is possibly a new free-breathing air filter such as the K&N airfilter.
Looks like K&N has not yet made one for the NC700.

Does anyone know of any other brands?

I'd find it hard to imagine that with all the great engineering that went into the NC700X and it's engine, that the Honda engineers didn't have some knowledge of air filters. Just as I trust them to use the right metal in the camshafts or design the connecting rods to handle their loads, I expect they would have installed an appropriate air filter, and there would be nothing to gain from installing a different one.

Greg

Last edited:
Many tests have shown that the K&N is not as effective as the stock filters. If you do used oil analysis, you will even see the silt content in the motor oil go up after installing a K&N. I also agree with the general sentiment that this motor is a comprehensively engineered package that would likely best be treated as a sealed unit. Someone is going to hot-rod it, and God bless them. It should be interesting and fun to watch. I've hot-rodded everything from race cars to tractors in my time, but it won't be me that tries to one-up them on this one. I'll add stuff like crazy and fix their obvious shortfalls taken in the name of price targeting (like seat, suspension, lighting, etc.), but that will be about it for me.

Roger that, beemerphile. I am quite old-school and inexperienced when "hotrodding" anything. All I know is the pipe, the air-filter, the jetting (ECU remap) and pretty nothing much else. I posted the K&N filter question, as it could be one easy layman mod which I can perform without killing myself or the NCX. Now, I know better. I'd leave her alone like you proposed. Thanks for the assurance. ~Joe

K+N has a million mile warranty. They give a vehicle a free-er revving quality. I have always used
them because they are essentially no maintenance. Put one in and never worry about it again.
I've never heard of an engine failure attributed to the air filter. I think that's an internet myth.

My 1991 BMW K75 special edition came from the factory with one...

AEM and K&N merged a couple of years ago. AEM supplies the dry flow, and K&N supply the traditional oiled filter. When it comes time to replace mine, unless the paper unit is super cheap, I'm going to order an AEM Dry Flow, if it is available when the time comes.

I've never heard of an engine failure attributed to the air filter. I think that's an internet myth.

You told it so strong that now I'm not sure if I understood it well... If you're talking about K+N versus any other, I have nothing to say. If you are saying exactly what I quoted, I would ask if you ever had an offroad bike and run it in a terrain like this:

24062010008.jpg

Let's try it without a very good air filter properly maintained and let me know how many times you have to bore the cylinder

I completed some testing over the last 2 years with 3 different bikes in regards to stock vs aftermarket filters on the dyno. The results showed that not 1 gave any more power than a stock one either in torque or HP. Other than maybe lasting longer and not having to replace as often, there is no gain power-wise.

I've used K&N in my other bikes and I have one in my car right now. If a K&N is available when it's time to renew, I'll get one. The thing to remember with K&N is to spray it with oil after cleaning it. The one in my VW TDI has over 150,000 miles on it. The initial cost is higher than stock, but, by virtue of cleaning instead of replacing, the cost in the long run is much less. Cost, however, isn't everything if it isn't doing its job. The K&N, periodically cleaned and properly maintained is an effective air cleaner.

I used to use K&N's on my dirt bikes just because you could clean and reuse them so many times and you were going to do tear downs often anyway. I also used them on a CB750k, I ripped off the air box and put singles on the carbs for no other than that it was the cool thing at the time. There is no real horsepower gain without a full free flow exhaust, fuel adjustment and a dozen other possibilities to get the air flowing. K&N's are purely a matter of personal choice when it comes to cleaning one or just pitching an OEM paper one.

I completed some testing over the last 2 years with 3 different bikes in regards to stock vs aftermarket filters on the dyno. The results showed that not 1 gave any more power than a stock one either in torque or HP. Other than maybe lasting longer and not having to replace as often, there is no gain power-wise.

That is Very interesting.

I completed some testing over the last 2 years with 3 different bikes in regards to stock vs aftermarket filters on the dyno. The results showed that not 1 gave any more power than a stock one either in torque or HP.

Did your bike have any other mods other than the air filter? I agree with a couple posts down when he says a free flowing air filter is meaningless without a full exhaust system, fuel injection tuning, etc. It would say to me that one would need above mentioned to get "air" out as quickly as it is coming in among other things.

I use K+N in everything I own, from the wifes Honda van, my truck, the motorhome, quads and will again when its time in the NC. Wether or not my silt levels go up or I actually gain in horsepower and fuel economy I don't know, haven't tested. But I like them and wether its placebo effect or not it feels like it makes a difference to me, sometimes I don't mind paying for a thing that makes me happy, even if I am being a tad naive.:D

I just cleaned the K&N that I have in my Goldwing after 25,000 miles. I was shocked that it wasn't very dirty. That concerns me. I have to suspect that the filter actually traps less dirt and allows more to go through the engine. I think on the NC, I'll stick with the Honda filter elements. The only reason I put the K&N in the 'Wing was to extend the service interval since on that bike it is very hard to reach it. I had absolutely no dreams of any kind of performance gain.

Back