• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loud ticking sound from engine when cold starting, any cause for worry?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi all

Today I started up the engine at around 3 degrees celsius in my garage.
I even had my earplugs on and my helmet on.

I could hear a distinctly LOUD ticking sound from the clutch side of the motor (left side with gear lever), but I did not know if this was normal or not.
Is it a case of any tuppets (valve clearance) or something more serious that I should look into?

I did not care too much and I rode her for around say 60km today in the cold (4-6 deg C). The ticking sound was less audible after the engine warmed up.
Or perhaps I just did not bother to listen any more since I was enjoying the ride so much. The bike rode well and all gears and clutch action were functioning all ok.

So gentlefolks, please offer me your views on this LOUD TICKING sound when engine is cold.
Do you have the same?

You said it is in the left side. Can you check if it dissapears or change when you engage the clutch? If so, I would not be worried about it

The large round area on the left side of the motor is the alternator. The smaller round section on the right side (brake levers side) is the clutch pack.

Beyond that I have no idea. As always a video recording with sound usually helps.

Although this is the DCT version cut open, you get the idea.

8462462328_c77cd9466e_c.jpg

8462409540_e85497684f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Have you checked your oil level recently?
What weight oil are you running?
With the noise decreasing after the bike warms up, I suspect it's
just that, the normal noise a motor makes before it warms up in cold weather.
Hth.

Off the wall here, but *shrug* noises can come from the strangest sources...

My CX500Turbo also had 4 valve heads, operated with screw and locknut adjusters on rocker arms, and fired by throttlebody EFI.

The pintles (very roughly: the electromagnetically operated valve plungers inside the injectors that stop/start fuel spraying into the intake), were very clackety and actually more noticeable when the battery was low. Something to do with a certain voltage requirement threshold- lower voltage = micro slower operation = louder/more noticeable taptaptaptaptap, higher, or "normal" voltage = more of a continuous faster tptptptptptpttptptptptpt noise that more or less blended in, and wasn't that stand out-ish.

I'm no gearhead by any means, but logically it sounds like the oil was cold. I suggest you give a good listen next time you hear this noise on cold start and then make a point to closely listen again upon warmup. You may just need a different oil weight (or an engine block heater...lol).

I'm no gearhead by any means, but logically it sounds like the oil was cold. I suggest you give a good listen next time you hear this noise on cold start and then make a point to closely listen again upon warmup. You may just need a different oil weight (or an engine block heater...lol).

Yep, the whole Occam's razor thing. :D

Nope, I've never heard anything remotely like that from my NCX, even when it's FREEZING out. And by that I mean below 60F. :p
Seriously, although I've ridden the bike down into the 30s (F), I keep it inside the garage, so it is not nearly that cool upon start-up. Sorry I can't help, Happy.

Honestly mines pretty ticky all the time let alone cold. It got a little bit noisier after I did the valve service but the valves were pretty tight from break in. Some ticking is good when cold because you don't want the valve lash to be too tight otherwise when hot the valves can stick open. Plus the forked rocker arms can be noisier than say a standard shim under bucket design seeing as how it has arms levering back and forth.

Thanks guys for the responses.
I am not too worried really.

The sound came from the left side (I didn't know that was the magneto and not the clutch). Clutch side should have the clutch cable (what was I thinking?)

It was a little loud because I had my earplugs and helmet on, and I could hear the loud ticking sounds (a little grinding too).

I believe the oil was cold.
I had the first service (1000km) way back in June ? I don't know what oil they used but probably the standard Synthetic stuff at 0-30W. I will check my oil level the next ride.

Thanks again!
:D

Last edited:
its funny ya know,the noise could have been there all the time but you didn't notice it.
but soon as you do its seem to get worst and your grey matter goes into over drive WTF wrong now.
ask some body in the know oh they all do that sir!!
did you ever felt like that? I know I did a couple times .
my 1st Kawasaki a GPZ 550 rattled like hell on start up and revving its nuts off.
bloody elly it felt like it was going to blow up.
ask a mechanic and he just laugh and said they all do that!

its funny ya know,the noise could have been there all the time but you didn't notice it.
but soon as you do its seem to get worst and your grey matter goes into over drive WTF wrong now.
ask some body in the know oh they all do that sir!!
did you ever felt like that? I know I did a couple times .
my 1st Kawasaki a GPZ 550 rattled like hell on start up and revving its nuts off.
bloody elly it felt like it was going to blow up.
ask a mechanic and he just laugh and said they all do that!

Thank you kind sir for the analysis.
Over here, after 10pm, you can hear the pin drop and the toilet flush from your neighbour's house (no kidding).

It is no surprise when I started the engine on that lone morning, everything sounded louder than usual.
:p

Thank you kind sir for the analysis.
Over here, after 10pm, you can hear the pin drop and the toilet flush from your neighbour's house (no kidding).

It is no surprise when I started the engine on that lone morning, everything sounded louder than usual.
:p
its always the case as I've done that a few times and there was nothing wrong with any of the bikes that I have had.
after all the engine isn't enclosed like a car so you will hear all the rattling noise on a bike especial y when its cold but once warmed up,
its seem to magically disappear well almost.
its like any abnormal noise you hear the more you think about it the worst it gets and you start to get paranoid
pulling_your_hair_out-875.gif

When you find out why your bike sound loud, and the cause is not damaging... Let me know... I might want to do the same... This engine is too quiet... :p

Today I rode the bike out of the garage onto an open place. It was 100m and therefore I did not wear any helmets.

The cold engine with her grinding and rattling noise is a very bad sound.
It is like a rattling engine which is about to bust something.
The valves-ticking is also very loud, perhaps it is that?

Question: It has done 6800km only. Do I need to adjust or check the valves now or soon?

Back