• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Grip Removal

Texican88

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips for removing the grips? I need to get to the clips that hold the inner bar weights in place so that I can install new hand guards. Will squirting some WD-40 between the grip and bar work?

Thanks.

That'd probably work, but you'll need to clean out the WD40 pretty well to reinstall! It it's still giving you problems, and you do NOT have heated grips on there already, you might try working a really thin flat-bladed scredriver around the bars between the bars and the grip - VERY CAREFULLY. I personally wouldn't use that method if the grips are heated ones -- there's too much chance of tearing through the grip that way unless you're really careful.

I use the thin bladed screwdriver method. Do the left side first to try out the method. Remove the screw in the tip of the handlebar weight and remove the weight.

Insert the screwdriver carefully lengthwise between the grip and bar to open a small space. Keep the blade flat between rubber grip and handlebar/throttle tube and carefully push it all the way to the far side of the grip. As is slides in, lift on the screwdriver handle to stretch the grip and help open the void, then squirt brake cleaner into the void created by the screwdriver. Move 180 or 120 degrees and repeat while now twisting and pulling the grip off. The left side grip will come off easy but you will find the throttle side has some nibs on the nylon throttle tube to give extra friction to keep the grip from twisting and also the tube has serrated teeth on the inner end to really secure the grip. This side will need a little more coaxing after the grip to tube adhesion is broken by the tool and brake cleaner solvent. Try and roll the inner end of the grip off the serrated teeth before twisting and pulling it off.

You don't need to remove the grips to get the bar end weights off. To remove grips use compressed air. Hook up a nozzle to your compressor and stick it under the grip. Work it all the way around. The grips will blow up like a balloon and come right off.

Yes, what gpd211 stated and an 50/50 alcohol solution sprayed inside the grips will loosen them up while workin' 'em.

Does anyone have any tips for removing the grips? I need to get to the clips that hold the inner bar weights in place so that I can install new hand guards. Will squirting some WD-40 between the grip and bar work?

Thanks.
on left side warm end of grip with hair dryer then roll back the one inch needed to push on clips,on right side take off throttle tube with grip left on by looseing screws and sliding off handlebar to expose clips

A blow gun always works the best for me, the compressed air separates it from the glue and you can clean and reuse them if you have to.

But don't you have to remove the grips to remove the inner bar weights the OP needs to remove?

Nope. The throttle sleeve can be moved back to uncover the release holes by unclamping the control module and the left side grip can be rolled bak enough to expose the holes. The real issue is finding some way to compress and hold the two locking pins while you forcibly withdraw the weight. I finally resorted to a set of needle nosed vice grips.

Thanks everyone. Seeing how I don't have a hair dryer, I might go pick up a heat gun to warm up the left-side grip and roll it back. It's still cold here in Chicago. And I'll just slide back the throttle sleeve on the right side. This is great info. I hope I don't have to result to a slide hammer like Beemer did! But with it being cold here those rubber insert shouldn't have too much grip in 'em.

A flat screwdriver under the grip and a shot of WD40 has worked for me for over 40 years.When your ready to put the grip back on just clean it out and glue & saftey wire it back on!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back