• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel gauge problems?

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Anybody else experiencing any issues with their fuel gauges? I ran out of gas this morning on my way home from work. Still had two bars left on the fuel gauge. Only went 207miles since last fill up so I should have made it to the next stop where I was intending on filling up at, but I also got my worst mileage to date of 56mpg's. Just wondering if it's just my luck or some one else had had this happen. Debating on taking it in to the dealer to have them check out the gauge but I can always just use the trip meter and always fill up before I hit 200miles.

Any thoughts?

Typical problem. Keep an eye on the gauge and count miles as soon as you reach 2 bars. This works. The last (blinking) bar does not come on reliably. I had been experiencing the same problem for several months, but it repaired itself.

I was never happy with the fuel guage, yesterday it went from 2 bars to flashing red in 3 miles, I had 15 miles to go to the next gas station so I was puckering. It only took exactly 3 gallons for 190 miles. My mpg's are down from 68ish to 63ish the last several fillups. Could be crappy Az gas.

On the other hand I can't remember any gas guage on any bike than worked good. I always use the trip meter.

I was never happy with the fuel guage, yesterday it went from 2 bars to flashing red in 3 miles, I had 15 miles to go to the next gas station so I was puckering. It only took exactly 3 gallons for 190 miles. My mpg's are down from 68ish to 63ish the last several fillups. Could be crappy Az gas.

On the other hand I can't remember any gas guage on any bike than worked good. I always use the trip meter.

This sounds completely normal The normal progress of the gauge is three bars, then two bars, then flashing red. There is no non-flashing one bar. After a few miles on flashing red, you should need about 3 gallons to fill it. Relax. It should still go 40-50 miles when the red starts flashing.

I wish the gauge had 8 or 10 incremental bars instead of 5. But mine is so consistent, watching the trip meter, I can almost predict when the bars are going to change.

I agree the trip meter is the main instrument for monitoring fuel level. The gauge is just a secondary backup system in case the fuel consumption rate is abnormal.

Now if it went dry with two bars, that's a service/warranty issue for sure.

Greg

Last edited:
the fuel gauges are also sensitive to the posiotn of the bike. Downhill will gain some bars uphill will lose some. Run mine into the red flashing no problems just a little over 3 gallons.

Most of my previous bikes (wait a minute, ALL of my previous bikes) have NO fuel gauge.
I use the km count to judge my fuel tank.
This is the best way IMHO.

Your problem seems worrying. Is there a sticky fuel sensor in the tank? Temperature?
I wouldn't try to fix this, coz usually this is not fixable.

I noted this problem before.

My issue has reversed now. I use to go sixty miles before the first bar would disappear. Now I disappears after anywhere from 10 to 38 miles. Very random. It can't be trusted and is not the reliability I expected from Honda. That said the rest has been awesome. So now I just look for gas after the 180 mile mark. Lame but it is wait it is.

I rode 280 miles one time with still 2 bars showing... I rode home and pour in gas from the 5 gallons tank that I have at home... I have no idea how much gas I pour in... Too bad... I never know the MPG for that time...

I have read quite a few NC700 out of gas when 2 bar is still showing... I think mine was doing that on the day that I rode 280 miles... except I have enough fuel to get home... I was lucky...

The gauge is pretty accurate most of the time... But I normally use the trip meter just in case... I wouldn't trust the gauge especially when I am riding in unfamiliar area...

Just stop and rest when you get to around 200 miles... Better safer than sorry...

Anybody else experiencing any issues with their fuel gauges? I ran out of gas this morning on my way home from work. Still had two bars left on the fuel gauge. Only went 207miles since last fill up so I should have made it to the next stop where I was intending on filling up at, but I also got my worst mileage to date of 56mpg's. Just wondering if it's just my luck or some one else had had this happen. Debating on taking it in to the dealer to have them check out the gauge but I can always just use the trip meter and always fill up before I hit 200miles.

Any thoughts?
hmmmm ... how much fuel were you able to put in. If it wasn't the full capacity perhaps you had a fuel blockage when there was still some in the tank (or maybe the fuel pick up pipe is not getting the last few litres for some reason). It seems a bit coincdental that you should develop a new fault with your fuel guage at the same time as your apparent fuel consumption went south. Actually - on thinking about it, you must have got a full load of fuel in if you have calculated your 56mpg by filling the tank. FWIW 207 miles is what I (would) get out of my bike at the best of times 700X DCT
Mike

Mine is pretty erratic but I do ride in the hills frequently. I am going to watch my odo more closely now.

hmmmm ... how much fuel were you able to put in. If it wasn't the full capacity perhaps you had a fuel blockage when there was still some in the tank (or maybe the fuel pick up pipe is not getting the last few litres for some reason). It seems a bit coincdental that you should develop a new fault with your fuel guage at the same time as your apparent fuel consumption went south. Actually - on thinking about it, you must have got a full load of fuel in if you have calculated your 56mpg by filling the tank. FWIW 207 miles is what I (would) get out of my bike at the best of times 700X DCT
Mike

My dad brought two gallons of gas in a gas can. Then I stopped at my intended fuel stop and put in another 1.75 gals.

I have not had problems so far. The last flashing bar appears after about 190 miles. Then, I can easily make 30 more miles, to average 68mpg.

I have hit 243 miles on a tank that still had .4 of a gallon left according to the posted size of it. I am riding high altitude, above 5,000 feet most of the time, so the air is thinner, but man, the winds still suck hard when it's a sustained 40 mph header. Still trying to decide on a bigger screen. That said, I feel confident in 40 miles easy, when she starts blinking red.

Today I rode to the top of a mountain when I supposedly had a bit less than half a tank...only 11 miles up and it was blinking! I made it around 20 miles for more gas, but will now be wary of relying on that gauge and will set the trip meter!

Back