• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

E85

Wondering if anyone use E85 on their NC...

I know no motorcycle is designed to run E85... Just curious if anyone even try it...

I have googled and found some car owner actually run E85 in their non-E85 cars... Interesting...

E85 Ethanol Does not harm Non-FlexFueled Engines - YouTube

E85 should NEVER EVER be used in the NC. NEVER..............it will run like sh*t if at all.

E15 is bad enough and also should not be used and NOT recommended. If I had the choice (which we don't) I would not even run E10 but straight gas is hard if not impossible to find.

Not sure how they managed this you-tube example but a non flex fuel car fueled with E85 will 99% of the time will mis-fire and throw the check engine light and possible result in an expensive repair depending on the true ratio of ethanol. Have seen the result of E85 in non flex vehicle it's BAD.........the only possible worse fueling error is diesel in a gas car.........................that turns out really bad too.

Nobody in the their right mind would fuel a non flex fuel vehicle with E85.

If it don't ping its good to go but at 70mpg on reg, why mess with success? The few places that sell that crap near me charge more than regular 89 that can be found in other areas of my travels like 10 miles down the road. Is e85 more common in others areas around the country?

Honda says not to use anymore than E-10. Given the choice, I wouldn't put any ethanol in any of my engines. Its your money though.

Even it the NC700 would run on E85, the mileage would decrease dramatically. It takes more ethanol something like 50% more to run an engine. Without the right fuel map and probably larger injectors, it would never run right.

Here is a site that shows how pathetic ethanol is.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1944-e85.html
Energy Equivalency Calculation Using fuel energy equivalents provides the user with a comparison tool for gauging various fuels against a known constant that has relative meaning. A common method of measurement is the Gasoline Gallon Equivalent. The chart at the bottom of this page arrives at the equivalent measurement by comparing the BTU content per unit of each fuel type and then calculating the ratio.
What’s a BTU?

As a basis for determining energy content of a fuel, it is helpful to understand exactly what a BTU (British Thermal Unit) is. Its scientific definition goes something like this: British Thermal Unit - The amount of heat (energy) required to raise the temperature of 1 pound of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit.
Think of it this way: it's basically a standard. Just as PSI (pounds per square inch) is a standard for measuring pressure, so too is a BTU a standard for measuring energy content.

See GGE conversion chart below
Gasoline Gallon Equivalents
Fuel Type
Unit of Measure
BTUs/Unit
Gallon Equivalent
Gasoline (regular)
gallon
1.00 gallon
Diesel #2
gallon
0.88 gallons
Biodiesel (B100)
gallon
0.96 gallons
Biodiesel (B20)
gallon
0.90 gallons
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
cubic foot
126.67 cu. ft.
Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)
gallon
1.52 gallons
Propane (LPG)
gallon
1.35 gallons
Ethanol (E100)
gallon
1.50 gallons
Ethanol (E85)
gallon
1.39 gallons
Methanol (M100)
gallon
2.01 gallons
Methanol (M85)
gallon
1.74 gallons
Electricity
kilowatt hour (Kwh)
33.56 Kwhs

I've run E-85 for a thousand miles or more in my non-flex-fuel turbo Subaru. It doesn't misfire, and apart from having a little difficulty maintaining idle speed when cold, it runs basically normally. The ONLY time a CEL/MIL illuminated in this truck was during some WOT towing uphill. This particular model has _nearly_ enough ECU authority to run perfectly on E-85. It lacks roughly 10% right at the top, so it runs a bit lean at WOT. Still runs well, but the O2 sensor reports lean mixture.

The truck also smells very much like a still at cold idle. :)

The important thing to remember, though, is that whether your vehicle runs acceptably or not has almost everything to do with its fueling capacity, which is a combo of injectors, fuel pump, and ECU authority.

Frankly, if it didn't compete with food, feed, fiber, forage, and erosion control, I would favor alcohol as a fuel. The energy deficiency is completely irrelevant because IF YOU DESIGN THE ENGINE FOR ALCOHOL, it will extract considerably more of the available energy than we can with gasoline. Higher compression is the main consideration there.

Will an NC run on E-85? I have no idea. Would I try it? I might. E-85 is not common here, and since the NC is not designed for it, it won't get good mpg, so I don't have a reason to at present.

The scary part of this thread is the fact no one is recognizing the fuel itself.

The rubber hoses, the tank, the injectors are not designed to withstand the corrosive effects of ethanol over 10% content per unit.

I'd worry about that first, before worrying if the engine will run on this fuel.

I have no intention of running E85 on my NC and my car... My NC got over 70MPG and good enough for me.

Just trying to get more information on E85, that's all... I have a friend that has a BMW 135, he is mixing his fuel with E85 for more HP?

Does E85 give more HP? I know it has more octane but less BTU... Interesting...

I have no intention of running E85 on my NC and my car... My NC got over 70MPG and good enough for me.

Just trying to get more information on E85, that's all... I have a friend that has a BMW 135, he is mixing his fuel with E85 for more HP?

Does E85 give more HP? I know it has more octane but less BTU... Interesting...

No E85 has less energy per gallon than gas. If your friend is getting more power, he is using more fuel to get that power.

The scary part of this thread is the fact no one is recognizing the fuel itself.

The rubber hoses, the tank, the injectors are not designed to withstand the corrosive effects of ethanol over 10% content per unit.

I'd worry about that first, before worrying if the engine will run on this fuel.

+100!
In time I may set my TW200 up to run on alcohol. Then If it needs fuel, I could pull out the flask.;)

Fuel stops would be at the Moonshiners! I do think it would be fun to make my own fuel, for off road purposes of course.

e85 does burn cleaner, it does take more of it to do what gas does, it does not lubricate like gas does, and it will overtime hurt rubber seals. but the main thing is that the owners manual says don't use it. e85 vehicles also have different long and short trim fuel strategies.

Well, I guess its a good thing that I can get real gas at two stations within three miles of my apartment (closest is about 4 blocks from me). I barely even run any ethanol blend in my truck if have the choice. But when it comes to bikes, I will run the best gas that I can get when I need it. If real gas is a option, I get it. If it isnt, I get the highest grade ethanol blend I can.

IMHO, I'd stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. I didn't once, and paid the price.

I had a 66 VW Beetle. Yes, I know it isn't a NC700X, but bear with me a moment. Unleaded gas came out and I tried it. The engine ran. In fact, it ran well. It seemed to have more pep, and was getting several miles per gallon more on each tank full. I went from using it as a trial to using it all the time. About 9 months later, I moved to Denver and had to do an engine rebuild. The valves were burnt. On the freeway, at wide open throttle and a slight grade, the speed would drop to 45 mph. But it seemed to run good otherwise.

I can't think of a good reason to run E85. If we're worried about decreasing our dependence on foreign oil, all we have to do is open up the permission to drill on federally controlled off-shore oil. The only oil that's been drilled in the past four years, has been on non-federally controlled off-shore areas.

Chris

Back