• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1/2 a Fit ??.

So did they fit a different valve/cam ??.
The car engine doesn't need a valve check like the bike does .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC700X

ENGINE

Engine Type - 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin

Bore And Stroke - 73mm x 80mm

FIT

ENGINE

Engine Type - 1497cc liquid-cooled in-line 4 cylinder

Bore And Stroke - 73mm x 89.4mm

Just the bore, stroke and single overhead cam design..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just the bore size, stroke is NOT the same.
Cam not so much as the FIT is VTEC.
NC is 270* crank.

This is the rumor, myth and Japanese engineer's comment (joke) that will not die...........

This is my stock response for "Isn't it half a Jazz/Fit engine?"

Just about everything in technical detail that appeared for the last year on the NC700s was given out at the world press debut and it was there that the NC project leader Uchida made this remark: "I got a hacksaw and cut a Jazz engine in half, but it didn't really run very well so we had to put some more work into the NC700X". It was a throw away remark made half in jest but it has been endlessly repeated because it was made in a room full of journalists and it made it into print and onto the web. That in itself does not make it any more true than it was at the time it was said.

The NC engine and the Jazz/Fit/City engines share virtually nothing in detail. The 270 degree crankshaft arrangement is different, the valve train is different, some are 8 valve heads, some are 16 valve, the fuel delivery system is different, the electrical generating system is different, the water pump is driven differently, etc, etc.

The only detail that is the same is the bore diameter of the 1339 cc auto engine. Other commonalities in the relationship between the NC and the Jazz is the oversquare dimension of the bore and stroke which is common in auto engines (and old fashioned v twins of all makes) and the approximate 1/2 displacement of a 1.3 liter Jazz engine sold in the EC and USA. To date there have been a total of 4 different engines available in the Jazz worldwide and the displacement varies from 1246 cc to 1496 cc. Some are VTEC and some are not.

It isn't "half a Fit engine".

Most of the engine-cut-in-half stories passed around dumb out the facts that Honda car engine engineers are not the same as their motorcycle engine engineers and for the first time the two groups worked together by meeting on a regular basis.

"Engine designer Takanori Osuka says they had meetings with engineers from Honda’s car division once or twice a month for two years during the design process, the first time this has happened at Honda."

Honda NC700X | Ash On Bikes

I've used the "half a fit" term very tongue-in-cheek. I do use it often, though.

It's very obviously not a car engine. The similarities are fun to point out and speculate on, though.

I always think back to the stories in the Motorcycle Magazines about Suzuki's race engineers freaking out when the early Gixxer engines would blow up during a race. Reports were that they wanted to retrieve ALL the pieces during the race, because they feared their technology ran the risk of being stolen. Track managers had to point out that the lack of reliability by the engines in question, might supersede any benefit derived by stealing the technology.

Although this could have been a tongue-in-cheek remark, the driving experience of the NCX is quite close to that of a car (I had the Jazz too).
:D

Back