• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding the Ozarks

Bug Dr.

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't call this a trip, just a day ride. I am still in the honeymoon phase with my NC so I wanted to take her down some familiar roads to see how she stacked up against the other bikes I have owned and still own.

First stop: Mt. Nebo
DSC_1212-XL.jpg

Mt. Nebo rises 1000 feet above the Arkansas River Valley.
DSC_1216-XL.jpg

You can see Arkansas Nuclear One in the background that is operated by Entergy.
DSC_1220-S.jpg

The Arkansas River is navigable to Tulsa, Ok and is travelled by many barges
DSC_1221-M.jpg

I left Mt. Nebo and headed north to the Pig Trail
DSC_1223-S.jpg

The Pig Trail gets its name from one or two tales. The first is that the road was actually built on a pig trail made from wild hogs. The other, and more believable, is that this road was once taken as a short cut from University of Arkansas students travelling between Little Rock and Fayetteville where the campus is located. The University's mascot is a Razorback (Hog). It's known for its many curves and scenic beauty........and also for large groups of Harley owners, logging trucks and old farts out for a Sunday drive.

DSC_1224-S.jpg

DSC_1226-S.jpg

DSC_1228-S.jpg

A highway that runs perpindicular to the Pig Trail is Hwy 215. This is one of the gems of the Ozarks as it follows the Mulberry River for almost it's entire length. The Mulberry is a popular canoeing and kayaking destination during the spring rains.
DSC_1231-S.jpg

DSC_1232-S.jpg

DSC_1233-S.jpg

DSC_1237-S.jpg

At the east end of this wonderful road is the oldest general store in Arkansas. This cafe is known by many duel sport riders that are riding the TAT (Tran-american Trail) as a great place to stop, relax and eat some very good grub.
DSC_1241-S.jpg
It ain't nothing fancy but they have some of the best pies around.
DSC_1239-S.jpg

DSC_1240-S.jpg

It was a great day to get out and ride!
Hope you enjoy these pics,
Mike

Attachments

• DSC_1212-M.jpg
    DSC_1212-M.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_1216-S.jpg
    DSC_1216-S.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Those are my old stomping grounds!
I went to school in Russellville for a while. Heading back there next month for a short bit. I remember going up to the cooling towers often - just driving right up to them. I think that's frowned upon now.

Those are my old stomping grounds!
I went to school in Russellville for a while. Heading back there next month for a short bit. I remember going up to the cooling towers often - just driving right up to them. I think that's frowned upon now.

Yes it's frowned upon. I live by the State Park just a couple of miles from the nuke plant. I hear live fire training coming across the lake all of the time. It reminds me of living by Ft. Chaffee in the early 80's. Look me up when your in town.....I'll meet you at Whattaburger like everyone else who comes to town to visit :)
Mike

Bug Dr- I'm planning a ride to Arkansas in April. Thank you so much for sharing this. Great pics too! That cafe AND hwy 215 has been added to the route!

Thanks for the pics. I'm originally from Arkansas, born in Malvern and lived many years in Grant County out in the sticks. Went back a couple of times for a few months, couldn't make a living so left again, but every time I travel through there I get homesick again. My S/O and I have talked about selling out here and moving there, but she can't handle any colder weather than we get here on the Gulf Coast, but I'd go right now.

Back