• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shell T6 and filter question

Kyonic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello I have a 2012 NC700x and love it! I have about 120 miles on her and have a couple questions about oil and filters. I am wanting to run the Shell T-6 in this bike because it seems to be a very popular choice. I was also wondering if anyone use car oil filters in there bikes? I have done this with good results. Is there a list that cross-reference list from bike filters to vehicle as far as filters go?

Hello I have a 2012 NC700x and love it! I have about 120 miles on her and have a couple questions about oil and filters. I am wanting to run the Shell T-6 in this bike because it seems to be a very popular choice. I was also wondering if anyone use car oil filters in there bikes? I have done this with good results. Is there a list that cross-reference list from bike filters to vehicle as far as filters go?

A quick search of the forums using the search function in the upper right hand corner of the web page yeilded this:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/363-oil-filter-size.html

T-6 is a good oil for bikes asking for 10w40. This bike recommends 10w30. Only the service manual states a 40 weight oil can be used. So that debate is still on going. Finding 10w30 motorcycle oil is a problem all it's own.

As for the oil filter refer to the guide. I use a Bosch distance plus Honda civic filter.

Last edited:
Honda Accord, Civic, CRV, Acura TL filters years 2000-2005 fit I know of.

Honda recommends 10w-30 and 10w-40 in service literature. T6 is 5W-40 but the experience of many is that it is OK in liquid cooled Honda MC engines. I ran RotellaT 5W-40 for about 40,000 miles in my ST1300 (calls for 10w-40) and now the mileage is at 117,000 miles. Runs like new and does not burn oil between changes. That said, I am sticking with 10w-30 synthetic MC oil in the NC due to the slightly better economy that it provides.

Last edited:
T6 5w40 is the better choice. Remember, this bike shares the engine oil with the transmission which means it will shear to a lower viscosity after 2k miles or so. In a KLR650, 2k mile oil changes are required because of this, even with Amsoil. This is confirmed with several oil analysis studies done by several members of KLR forums, not conjecture. With an 8k mile oil change interval with the NC700x, which is absurd, you don't stand a chance with making that with 10w30. 4-5k is all I'd be comfortable with if using a 10w40 or 5w40 oil, because of the shearing. Also, Purolator L14612 is a great choice for a stock sized oil filter. L14610 is an inch longer with the same flow properties, but I'm not sure it will fit due to the length after looking underneath my bike (I haven't reached 600 miles yet for the first change to check for sure).

Also, Purolator L14612 is a great choice for a stock sized oil filter. L14610 is an inch longer with the same flow properties, but I'm not sure it will fit due to the length after looking underneath my bike (I haven't reached 600 miles yet for the first change to check for sure).

I use T6 excessively in all bikes I've had. I would recommend the PureONE filter (supposed to be better than the regular Purilator) in PL 14610 (yes it will fit in there nicely)

T6 5w40 is the better choice. Remember, this bike shares the engine oil with the transmission which means it will shear to a lower viscosity after 2k miles or so. In a KLR650, 2k mile oil changes are required because of this, even with Amsoil. This is confirmed with several oil analysis studies done by several members of KLR forums, not conjecture. With an 8k mile oil change interval with the NC700x, which is absurd, you don't stand a chance with making that with 10w30. 4-5k is all I'd be comfortable with if using a 10w40 or 5w40 oil, because of the shearing. Also, Purolator L14612 is a great choice for a stock sized oil filter. L14610 is an inch longer with the same flow properties, but I'm not sure it will fit due to the length after looking underneath my bike (I haven't reached 600 miles yet for the first change to check for sure).

Of course it's unreasonable to speculate that the Honda engineers bothered to actually test the engine to their service schedule. What would they know? Bench tests, road tests all worthless.

When a manufacturer specifies the service schedule it's not doing it for fun. If they specify 8,000 miles that's because they've designed the machine and chosen the lubricants to perform to that. They've got millions invested in the technology and have millions at stake in warranty claims if they get it wrong.

By all means service more frequently if you want to, the oil companies and parts suppliers will be happy at least.

Good info,I have always used honda oil but the last 20,000+ miles in my DL I used what ever 10/30 was on sale at the auto parts store.On this bike ( with it's longer change intervals ) I'm going back to a good MC or diesel oil,like Rotella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why this is so difficult. The NC700X service manual clearly states what the recommended oil viscosity and ratings are, as well as the oil change interval. I see no reason to doubt the recommendations, being as Honda would have sorted this out already.

Use the viscosity and oil type specified.

Greg

Last edited:
Oh come on. What does Honda know about building engines that last? I'm going the advice of those experts on the KLR forum.

Mobile 1 High Mileage 10W-40 Full Synthetic for me. I put it in at 600 mile service and will keep using it till something breaks or they quit selling it.

I have to ask at this point, what is the crankcase oil capacity of the KLR. The NC has one of 3.7 litres. That also has a bearing on change intervals. If I remember correctly the KLR did not have that capacity when I owned couple of them. I also remember that the KLRs demolished a couple of camshafts and balance shaft chains. This was not oil related when I had them. As previously mentioned in other threads, is vital that a motorcycle specific oil is used because the gearbox is sharing this oil. It is impossible to find a 10.30 oil here in Ireland so Honda have confirmed that I can use a 10.40 semi synthetic. I use Bardahl as I have for the past 15 years . My FJS only started to consume 250MLS of oil between changes using that oil, after 50000 miles. A tribute to both Honda and the oil used.

Mobile 1 High Mileage 10W-40 Full Synthetic for me. I put it in at 600 mile service and will keep using it till something breaks or they quit selling it.

Really..........for a motorcycle with wet clutch.............

Hate oil threds but not good choice but each to their own.

Really..........for a motorcycle with wet clutch.............

Hate oil threds but not good choice but each to their own.

Agree. If the oil is not JASO MA rated, it should not be used.

The forums at BobIsTheOilGuy are just people spouting off and they may or may not provide sound advice - kinda like here.

Agree. If the oil is not JASO MA rated, it should not be used.

The forums at BobIsTheOilGuy are just people spouting off and they may or may not provide sound advice - kinda like here.

+100
Use what you want, but make sure its JASO MA rated!

Back