• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Messed up ignition key

CorEnFa

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has some advice.

I've had the bike for about a month now and about 1000 miles. This morning, on my way into work, I went to get off the bike and remove the key, and it wouldn't come out of the ignition. I had to leave the bike and go into work. After my morning meeting, I came back out to the bike and key slid right out. Later in the day, on the way home, there was an issue getting the key in easily. When I got home, it came out, but it caught a lot coming out.

I just tried it again and it had a really hard time going in and coming out.

The key doesn't appear to have any bends and I'm gentle/easy on my gear, so it's not an issue of bends or over-torquing.

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any advice?

Cheers-
J.

You weren't holding your mouth right. Seriously, it's a Honda thing. If you pull from even the slightest deviant angle from straight out it can bind. I ran into this before on my ST. Quite simply, Honda makes their keys waaaaaaaay too long. There is no reason they can't produce shorter keys to do the same function. By walking away, you allowed the Universe to stabilize and everything returned back to normal :) I haven't done this yet on my NC but I'm sure I will eventually.
Mike

It's not something (yet, lol) that I'm complaining about, but I have found my NC700 key to be the most notchy and "takes-several-tries-at-getting-the-key-in-out-the-most" bike I've owned so far.

Both the ignition and trunk/seat latch locations.

I gave my ignition a bath in AFC-50 when I read Rockers review of it. I hate the long key the NC has! Why couldn't Honda kept the key short like my old GL1200?
I guess they gave us a decent self defence tool, huh. Heck I have knives shorter than the NC key.

Pretty much everyone is going to these long keys. My buddy has a 2012 GSXR750 and his keys is the same length as my NCX key. Engineers are over thinking such a simple device if you ask me.

Unless it's something wrong with the lock, I've noticed that the peg locking the front wheel in place has to be lined up pretty well to get the lock turned, and sometimes even get the key out of the lock. Also, there seems to be some kind of anti-theft "feature" that keeps the key from being inserted if the exterior keyway slot and the actual keyway inside the lock aren't lined up just right with the key. My 2006 Suzuki works the same way. Frustrating at times. It might also be true of pulling the key out. As others have said, lube might just help there.

Good luck.

Is that like a microprocessor chip in the cars? I had an Odyssey that I made keys for that would open the doors and crank the engine all day, but not fire up without the big OEM key.

[]Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG
156414.png

perhaps you don't have enough thieving scrotes like we have here! to warrant the hss type key.

We have our share of worthless POS thieves in America. In some areas stealing can make your body stop producing carbon dioxide.

"Even the lowest estimates suggest that in excess of 26,000 motorcycles are stolen every year in America. The actual figure is likely far higher, somewhere around 100,000 units. Nobody knows for sure, due to the fact that the figures are based on thefts reported to law enforcement and insurance companies. An unknown number of thefts aren't reported to either type of agency (probably because of owners grabbing the aforementioned KZ550 fork leg and taking matters into their own hands). In the motorcycle thefts that are recorded, significant errors are often introduced into the statistics due to sloppy reporting. A despondent exowner or groggy clerk gets a digit or three wrong when they're listing the vehicle Identification Number of a stolen Honda VFR750F, and voil-it gets entered into the vast crime database as a Honda Accord. Big difference. So we don't know precisely how many bikes are stolen, but we know it's a lot. And the trend is rising with approximately 10 percent more pilfered units every year."

Read more: Kiss It Goodbye - Sport Rider Magazine

Back