• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

On-and-Off Bike Boots

I just ordered a pair of the Magnum Cobra 8.0 Waterproof boots Cobra 8.0 Waterproof Ion-Maskâ„¢ | Free Shipping. They're on sale now. I'm glad I ordered them yesterday, because they are $10 more expensive today. :D

I've been wearing boots like these that I've purchased on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods for years now. Generally the cost is around $30-40 on sale. They've given me good ankle support and traction on wet surfaces.

I did some shopping at Cycle World yesterday, looking at the "real" riding boots. I wasn't convinced that more expensive boots with "riding" in the name was really that much better. I looked at the ankle and shin protection on the boots there, and came to a conclusion much like the author of the article did. That little plastic circle won't really do much to protect the ankle bone if it gets a direct impact. As far as the shin guard goes, I'm not sure that'll help much either. If there's enough force to break my shin bone, chances are the only thing the shin guard will do is to move the fracture point higher on the leg. Many of the boots also fit much looser on the leg than the work boots like the author's jump boots do. There's something to be said for having the full support of that laced boot holding your ankle steady when you stop.

And by the way, I disagree with his statement about steel toes in the boots. The only drawback I've found is they get cold. I've had a 5000lb jet engine roll over my toe when I was in the USAF. It compressed the steel toe in my boots slightly. If I hadn't been wearing steel toe boots, I probably would've had the toes totally crushed. If there's enough force to collapse that steel toe completely to cut off the toes...you would've lost them anyway.

Chris

I've had these for awhile now, and don't believe me if you wish, but OMG are they ever comfy! Walking in them is awesome off the bike. With the ankle hinge, they are absolutely not "ski boot" feeling, like a motocross boot can be.

I mean sure, you do know you are wearing all that leather and armour in a big boot, there's no disguising that lol, but once broken in, you soon appreciate the comfort inside all that protection.

The only downside, is they were hideously expensive...:eek: and I did add some outrageously expensive as well, super duper gel insole thingies, (not required, but I wanted to try them, and I am glad I did shell out the bucks for them too)

Now my old faithful Alpinstars SMX-4's feel like flip flops, lol.

The only downside, is they were hideously expensive...:eek: and I did add some outrageously expensive as well, super duper gel insole thingies, (not required, but I wanted to try them, and I am glad I did shell out the bucks for them too)

Now my old faithful Alpinstars SMX-4's feel like flip flops, lol.[/QUOTE]

aye and look like judge with them on:rolleyes:

Icon's line of Super Duty boots work great for me. I have had the Super Duty 2 and 3 versions. Very comfortable and have a more regular shoe appearance. Here are the latest version 4 boots:

icon2011_superduty4_boots.jpg

I can also attest to their toughness as my first pair survived my one and only wreck skidding across the concrete at a high rate of speed and only getting scuffed, as well as saving my feet and ankles from serious injury.

Icon's line of Super Duty boots work great for me. I have had the Super Duty 2 and 3 versions. Very comfortable and have a more regular shoe appearance. Here are the latest version 4 boots:

I can also attest to their toughness as my first pair survived my one and only wreck skidding across the concrete at a high rate of speed and only getting scuffed, as well as saving my feet and ankles from serious injury.

Nice. I like those ICONs especially since they come in brown. I have a dark brown Vanson in the process of being made.

Very Nice! I'm buying the black.

Back