• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

All sorts of annoying noises

nc700xbarcelona

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
My NC has recently developed a series of odd and very annoying noises.
The first is a rattling, (like a peanut bouncing around in wooden box) that I think I can pinpoint to the catch on the lid on the fake tank. Apart from stuffing a bit of cardboard down there, I'd be grateful if there are any other adjustments Incan make without having to dismantle and re-build the thing.
The second and even more frustrating sound is a blowing/rasping noise, (from the bike not me). It sounds like a hols in the exhaust or something is not set right i the motor. It started happening a few weeks ago after around 2000 miles and shows itself at between 3500 and 4000 revs, although not at cruising speed, only when accelerating to the next upshift.
Have any of you any sage words to offer before I schlep down to the dealer?
Regards

I do not have these problems.
It is difficult to diagnose your problems online.
Best thing is to go to the dealer, and repeat the "errors" so that he can tell you if the bike needs repair or it is normal.

Good luck!

There is a lot of plastic parts making up the airbox, storage bin, lid, panels, etc. Perhaps try wiping a bit of silicone grease on catch striker and the weatherstripping that seals the bin lid and see if that takes care of the rattle. It did on my bike plus the seal will last longer if we do this once in a while.

The blowing rasping noise on acceleration might be just normal intake noise from air rushing into the airbox. Can you make the noise appear and go away with opening and closing the throttle at that rpm range? Don't really know though.

Did these noises both start at the same time? Was there anything ever done to the bike that involved touching the bodywork?

Maybe a loose/missing fastener after reinstallation, and like dduelin says, the other thing might be induction noise, like from a loose airbox seal or manifold clamp or something.

Wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the catch on the lid. It'll be a little tighter to close, but much better than the rattling around sound. I have to replace the electrical tape about once every few months.

As far as the other "blowing/rasping" noise, I can't say I've hear the same on my bike...however, I can hear the intake of the airbox which sound more like a whistle that gets higher in pitch the higher the rpm's. But I kinda like that sound.

A strange sound I haven't been able to pin-point though, is this "metal bearing in a tin can" sound coming from under the bike. It really becomes apparent when I ride over a grooved portion of the road like the freeways here in CA. Almost like a rattlesnake rattle.

Another strange sound comes from the front tire area. I think it might be the axle bearings. Sounds like a rubbing, "wah wah wah wah", and gets faster or slower relative to the speed of the bike. Mechanic told me it was the air being forced out of the holes in the brake discs but I just nodded a chuckled to myself.

I gave up complaining to the dealer about noises.They said it's all good and just ride.I have a tic that is loud enough that people can hear it across the parking lot at work.I'm going to take it to Dales ( HONDAPRO ) and compare it to his and have him check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a rasping , almost metallic noise coming from the airbox intake under hard acceleration. It concerned me at first but when I figured out what it was I just ignored it. One member on here actually got rid of his bike because of it.
The storage box lid does rattle over rough sections of road. Again I got used to it and largely ignore it. I occasionally also hear a high frequency resonance under the seat. I will investigate that further to ensure there is no damage being done.
Otherwise this bike is always going to have some unusual noises due to its engine configuration. Immediately the primary drive rattle comes to mind due to the crank configuration at 270 degrees. Perhaps the uneven cam timing even contributes. It is a quirky bike and that of course is also part of what I like about it.

Wow, all these noises you guys are hearing!

Rasping, rubbing, rattlesnake rattles, and resonance ruins a rough road ride!

As for me, I know I've got the ear plugs seated well when I can barely even hear the engine running.

Greg

Last edited:
Have you checked your nuts for looseness?

good grief I've had loose nuts for years its a wonder they haven't locked me up by now
346tgfgd.gif

Last edited:
Here around Los Angeles we learn to tolerate an endless supply of loose nuts! That said, my DCT seems to emit it's share of peculiar noises but I understand Honda engineered a level of personality into the bike so I try to ignore it all! I've read a NC(X) review with them described as tractor-like and I can certainly agree with the description!

Back