• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Givi bars causing vibration

duk2n

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm having some vibration at around 3.000 rpm. It is something related to the engine, as it doesn't matter if you're riding or the bike is stopped. It is turning so bad that even the not-the-tank cover is making noise as it was a drum :-( I would say the vibration comes from the pegs and goes up until the not-the-tank (or the "frunk" as you name it).

As I was suspecting of the Givi bars mountings, I spend a couple of hours this weekend re-tightening all the engine (6) mounting bolts and nuts as per the workshop manual instructions. Yes, there is a specific procedure and sequence to follow.

Well, it has not cured the vibrations and now I'm suspecting on the Givi bars themselves. By touching the bars with the engine between 2.700-3.200 rpm I can feel how they vibrate, exactly the rpm range more usable :-(

Anyone is having the same? Any idea about how to cure it?

It definately sounds possible. I think its the same principle as handlebars having vibrations in them. Honda uses pretty bulky rubber anti vibration bars inside the handlebars to "soak" up the vibrations from the bar ends. Anything that comes off the bike like it is capable of causing vibrations, especially attached at the engine like those are. I would think its like mirrors can be impossible to see out of at certain rpms because of vibrations? There may not be anything you can do other than take them off if it is them. If you try to rubber mount it, it may cause more vibration. Harley rubber mounted the dyna engine and that thing shakes fillings out lol.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Givi engine guard? If so they mount to the engine and frame esentially making them one. I have the Givi engine guards mounted and haven't noticed any change in vibrations

Common problem with V-Strom owners and the GIVI engine guards. Some guys went as far as filling the bars with BB's to try and dampen it out.

metal-pellets-500pcs.jpg

Are you talking about the Givi engine guard? If so they mount to the engine and frame esentially making them one. I have the Givi engine guards mounted and haven't noticed any change in vibrations

Yes, I'm talking about the Givi guards. What happens if you touch them with your hand while the engine is about 3.000 rpm?

I can feel some vibration in the crash bars. However I don't feel any abnormal vibes in the handlebars

I have no sensible vibration in the handlebars, I have it between the "frunk" and the seat. To be clear, and I'm sorry because the ladies here, just in the balls! :)

I have just double checked the peg mounts and they are torked right, even a little bit more, but the vibration is still there. It's disturbing, specially when you're wearing ear plugs

I have no sensible vibration in the handlebars, I have it between the "frunk" and the seat. To be clear, and I'm sorry because the ladies here, just in the balls! :)

I have just double checked the peg mounts and they are torked right, even a little bit more, but the vibration is still there. It's disturbing, specially when you're wearing ear plugs

After reading your post, I am not entirely sure that you are putting your earplugs in the right spot.

I tried touching the Givi Bars at the 3-3.5 K RPM and didn't notice any real vibration. I did this whilst wearing ear plugs as I always do.
Sorry that I can not be of more help

Thank you for doing the test, Rocker

Did this vibration just develop after the givi bars were installed? I don't think it's an accessory issue since you get this vibration when the bike is not moving. This sounds similar to the vibration that a lot of owners complain about at that rpm in sixth gear. Use the search window to read past posts and compare.

Did this vibration just develop after the givi bars were installed? I don't think it's an accessory issue since you get this vibration when the bike is not moving. This sounds similar to the vibration that a lot of owners complain about at that rpm in sixth gear. Use the search window to read past posts and compare.

Not sure I follow this logic .........".not moving vibration"........rules out transmission and wheel/tires as a possible cause.........does not mean the accessory is not changing something.............how about removing the bars and see if anything changes???????

Possible the bars could be transferring an unwanted vibration..........impossible to rule from a distance.........agree this could be related to wjat others have felt at 3000 rpm.......and that has the camp divided.

Givi crashbars have a rep of vibrating,I have them on my DL1000 and they vibrate soooooo much that my highway pegs that are attached to them are UNuseable !!.

Here's something you can try based on some of the stuff I saw with my Concours.

Put the bike on the center stand. Loosen all four engine bolts (just loose, not out) and run the engine. Rev it up a little bit so it's not just idling. Kill the engine and tighten the engine mount bolts to spec in alternating order (don't do all of one then the other, do right lower, left lower, right upper, left upper or similar alternating tightening).

The theory here is that the engine is fastened up to the frame in an unbalanced state. Once you let it run where the engine bolts are loosened, it "settles" into place. You then re-secure it.

No idea if this will work on this bike. Perhaps you need to figure out if the engine needs to be shimmed to get the harmonics right. If the vibrations are really that bad, I can't imagine it'd hurt anything.

Somehow I lucked out since I installed the Givi bars this past weekend and have no vibration/harmonics issues. If it makes a difference, I never had more than one of the four engine mount bolts loose at a time.

Let us know what you find and good luck to you!

Not sure I follow this logic .........".not moving vibration"........rules out transmission and wheel/tires as a possible cause.........does not mean the accessory is not changing something.............how about removing the bars and see if anything changes???????

Possible the bars could be transferring an unwanted vibration..........impossible to rule from a distance.........agree this could be related to wjat others have felt at 3000 rpm.......and that has the camp divided.

It's related to the engine, and that specific range (between 2700-3300 rpm or so) for sure. It does it in any gear, not only in 6th, and it does it only in that rpm range. It is not related to tires because if I'm riding and experiencing the vibration if stops inmediatelly if I engage the clutch. In the opposite, if I'm riding at 2000 rpm (it's not vibrating) and I engage the clutch and accelerate the engine to 3000 rpm I have the vibration again.

My next move is remove the bars. I will do it the following weekend if I have the chance

Put the bike on the center stand. Loosen all four engine bolts (just loose, not out) and run the engine. Rev it up a little bit so it's not just idling. Kill the engine and tighten the engine mount bolts to spec in alternating order (don't do all of one then the other, do right lower, left lower, right upper, left upper or similar alternating tightening).

The theory here is that the engine is fastened up to the frame in an unbalanced state. Once you let it run where the engine bolts are loosened, it "settles" into place. You then re-secure it.

No idea if this will work on this bike. Perhaps you need to figure out if the engine needs to be shimmed to get the harmonics right. If the vibrations are really that bad, I can't imagine it'd hurt anything.

Nice theory, I will use it. Thanks for sharing

I don't have crash bars but I do have vibration in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range. If the 'balancing' of the engine works, let us know. There are a lot of people that have the vibration problem.

One other thing to check, especially if you had the bars installed elsewhere, is that the engine mount spacers are in place. Those little buggers either slip right out when you remove the engine mount bolts or they stay in place but could fall out by the slightest bump of the bike while your back is turned. Most of them wouldn't immediately fall to the floor, but instead would fall to rest just below the mount holes. I could see one being lost if the person taking the bolt out wasn't aware of their existence. That would *definitely* cause some nasty vibrations.

Back