• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700SA with clutch problem.

JHC

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I´ve been reading this forum with quite interest for some time now, so i registered to post a problem i had with my NC700SA and get some opinions.:)
My NC700SA got a problem with the gear clutch while i was riding on the highway,the motorcycle droped de velocity from 140km to 30 or 40km.
I managed to get out of the highway and tried to adjust the shift lever, but had no luck.
In the service shop they say the clutch disks are gone and Honda Portugal thoesn´t give any warranty for the clutch disks at any kilometers, the motorcycle only has 5000km... :(
Until the problem arrived i´ve never had "slipping disks" sintoms while riding in the highway.

I had to pay the replacement of the disks, but saw that the service shop intalled the disks and also replaced the next items:

1 - Plate, clutch pressure ( Honda reference 22350-MS6-921 ) - 9 on the diagram
2 - bolt ( Honda reference 90236-HAO-000 ). - 19 on the diagram

Is this normal or Honda should activated the warranty for this problem?

NC700SA-clutch[1].jpg

I would say this should be covered under warranty. The warranty from Honda is unlimited km for one year. I don't think it is a normal wear and tear thing that should be seen at only 5000 km. I wonder if any other SA/X users have had this problem?

NO offense meant but: worn clutch can be rider error caused by slipping on start, starting in second gear, riding the clutch, free play adjusted too tight (no free play), novice new rider etc. Very very rare to just wear out.

Clutch plates can be destroyed in minutes or (low) 5000 miles by a "new" rider...........like teaching novice to drive manual trans car.......can be real hard on the clutch.

Disks plus #9 would be normal for a worn clutrch.

Last edited:
NO offense meant but: worn clutch can be rider error caused by slipping on start, starting in second gear, free play adjusted too tight (no free play), novice new rider etc. Very very rare to just wear out.

Clutch can be destroyed in minutes or (low) 5000 miles by a "new" rider...........like teaching teen to drive manual trans car.......can be real hard on the clutch.

Disks plus #9 would be normal for a worn clutrch.

No offense taken :)

I drive cars for 25 years and much less in motorcycles, and use the clutch like the cars, normally i put the gear in neutral on stops etc.
My doubt was if item 9 was a normal replacement and if it is normal get in this kind of problem without any slipping disks, no burnt smell etc.
I thought i had broken something, i didn´t know a clutch could be destroyed so quickly. :confused:

No offense taken :)

I drive cars for 25 years and much less in motorcycles, and use the clutch like the cars, normally i put the gear in neutral on stops etc.
My doubt was if item 9 was a normal replacement and if it is normal get in this kind of problem without any slipping disks, no burnt smell etc.
I thought i had broken something, i didn´t know a clutch could be destroyed so quickly. :confused:

9 is the pressure plate would wear with the disks. 19 is a one time use nut.
You would not normally smell a motor cycle clutch burning like a car as it is contained in the engine cases and more less "sealed". Esspecially if the damage was over 5000 miles. If you were to smell the that oil would be the first indicator things were not right.
No offense again but I would have an experienced, knowledgeable rider/mechanic check your riding habits very carefully and completely.
Years ago had a car driver complain of premature clutch wear.........turns out he was holding the car's position on hills with the clutch..........

Oh great, another potential problem to be on lookout for.

Lighten up.......man your going to have a heart attack..........SORRY..........Do NOT think so........1 in 10's of thousands and most likely due to rider use or abuse.

Sorry to hear of your problem. I would still contact Honda Portugal yourself direct and see what they say. I agree that generally premature clutch is more than likely down to the rider, but you sound like a fairly sensible chap putting your bike in neutral at junctions etc etc. 5,000kms does seem a bit too soon for replacement unless you've been doing a bit of drag racing. How long is your warranty in Portugal? It's a 2 year warranty in the UK.

If the clutch plate friction surface areas are worn with no signs of coming apart or breakage, I would think the operator has been slipping the clutch excessively or there was an adjustment problem, probably no warranty due from Honda. If something actually broke or the friction surface de-laminated from the disks, Honda should warranty. The parts you listed as replaced sound like normal for a clutch replacement. Did they show you the old parts that they replaced?

Oh great, another potential problem to be on lookout for.

Everything that happens to somebody doesn't happen to everybody. Most of the things you stress over will never happen.

There is plenty of time later to cloud up and cry if it does.

Surely not normal, unless you were racing the bike or making wheelies everyday.
Not likely to be user-abuse.
Call up Honda HQ and complain.

Everything that happens to somebody doesn't happen to everybody. Most of the things you stress over will never happen.

There is plenty of time later to cloud up and cry if it does.

They've already happened.

Surely not normal, unless you were racing the bike or making wheelies everyday.
Not likely to be user-abuse.
Call up Honda HQ and complain.

Abuse does not have to be racing and wheelies and burn outs.........call it mis-use..........It is normal if you start in second , slip the clutch on start, ride the clutch etc. The shop I frequent had novice rider start in second because they thought the gears were all up and one gear down was reverse, another rider thought first was a super low crawler gear. Slipping the crab on first gear starts will also cook the clutch.

Worked in big car dealer saw premature worn clutch once a mouth.......... clutch gone on 7500 miles...........driver profile: was first time manual trans driver or young male teen, one is Joe racer guess which one.

Want to see cooked clutch visit a new riders class and look at the loaner bikes after a year of service. It is the instructors job to stop the "Abuse" or Mis-use but it still happens.

Last edited:
I think i didn´t abused the motorcycle, in Portugal we are used to use manual clutchs, almost all the cars have manual clutchs in this country.

I never made a wheelie with this bike nor burn outs..., the bike is used to comute to work and i ride we other friends, some of them have 20 years of riding, i ride like them...

And another doubt, the service shop gave me the replaced materials and one of the disk clutchs are clean with no trace of oil in one of the sides, is this normal? I thought all the disks should be in oil to operate.

050220132452.jpg

HONDABIKEPRO to the White Courtesy Phone please...
sorry i was making skid plates yesterday and was off, mentally, very hard to get Honda to warranty clutch plates and brake pads and rotors and tires, these are considered normal wear parts. with that said, most clutch damage comes from no free play at the lever, must always have 3/8 of a inch free play at all times, if the free play goes away then the clutch can be preloaded and slip burning the steel and plates, and glazing the corks and making the clutch slip. was there any free play when it was taken into the dealer, or had the clutch wore and taken up all the free play? i have police departments that at training can kill a clutch in 100 miles, by loading the rear brake and slipping the clutch for low speed turning. would be interesting to see what the service dept found?? it does not make any sense to me why only these two parts were replaced,

Last edited:
I apreciate the help, all the disks were replaced, i only post two disks to show the diference between them, one is clean with no oil.

Back