• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extra power ??

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
How much electrical power is left after running the stock bike ??.I might want to add some aux lights at some time and would like to know how much power I have to run them.

The alternator produces 420 wattios at 5,000 rpm, if this is the number that you're looking for. Most riders here add LED type aux lights.

Keep in mind the 420 watts quoted above is max output. Most riding isn't done at 5k rpm so it's going to be less. Haven't seen any other numbers than max output

Not sure, but your biggest draw will come from your lights. Figure out the combined wattage of all of your lights (all that will be on at one time - so figure only the high beam) and you're likely at around 90% I the total power utilization. Then, if 420 is max output at the alternator, figure on 75-80% of that being available at cruising speeds - so roughly 315-330 watts. That gives you around 25 total amps to work with.

You might try searching for posts from 'Beemerphile' and possibly 'HONDABIKEPRO.' I _thought_ I recalled some estimates of what you're looking for to have already been made & posted. Sorry that I don't know for sure myself.

Engine running at idle charging voltage 13.8 volts with everything on including heated grips. Charging voltage at 3000 rpm 14.0 volts.
Engine running Measure amperage at the fuses:

Lights...................5.78 amps

Eng Stop ...............0.35 amps

FI........................4.20 amps

Illumination.............1.60 amps

Aux Heated grips.....3.50 amps

total 15.43 amps or about 208 watts (this could vary by 10% given certain conditions) without heated grips on running wattage would be about 150 watts.

Turn signal, horn and brake light not measured as they are intermittent use only.

After seeing this did not try to measure alternator output as it appears there is adequate power available as long as you do not added two 55 watt Hella off road lights.;)
Honda heated grips will auto shut off if charging system voltage is low.
Prolonged slow speed operation with large electrical loads would drain the battery.

A conservative estimate would be you have a least 100 watts available at cruising RPM for your selective use, leaving a 100 watt buffer from max alternator output.

Proceed at your own risk.............this is for general information ONLY...........if this post does not make sense to you do NOT modify your wiring or any part of your bike's electrical system. There is a good reason Honda supplies and fuses the aux power harness and is relay controled. NEVER connect unfused wires or circuits to the the battery or electrical system.

Last edited:
Maybe,I had a bad experience with ALOT of LED's on my sidecar rig a few years back so I haven't tried them since.Also I'm a cheapskate,but maybe I will try the LED's again but this time I will buy a KIT and not just the lights themselves.

Yup,water proof digital volt meter.I put them in a little Radio Shack project box and wire them to a hot/on source.They pretty accurate and cheap!!.$8 with shipping from Ebay.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360860208.543911.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OKEY DOKEY not seen one of them before but these yes
$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFS0Q9BQ7-H-Qi)w~~60_12.JPG

just checked on EBay and we have em
$(KGrHqVHJF!FDH)CLo3(BQ7wrUmzww~~60_12.GIF

Back