• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine guard vs crash guard (frame guard)

lamlamz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I am in the market for engine/ crash/ protection/ guard.

So we have about 4 choices:

1. SW - Motech
2. Givi
3. Hepco and Becker (http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/993-hepco-becker-crash-guard-rear-rack.html#post10907) or with light mounted (http://www.moto24.co.uk/media/catal...f7405533366c8801f83da5181707/n/c/nc700x_1.jpg)
4. Fehling (Fehling : Off-roadProtectionGuard [feh-7293-ES]) or bigger picture (http://www.fehling-ftp.de/mail/FN/2012_32/7293.jpg)

The first two look more robust built and should provide more protection, the other two (3 and 4) provide more functionality (looks like light bar albeit you can mount lights on all of them). I like the way fehling designed as it goes along the fairing and provide that streamlined look without over doing it.

All of these bars, if you look closely they are off to the top part of the engine block. I think they are more of a frame protectors in my opinion! Not to discounting those who already have them installed. My argument is NC700x engine is lower than any other bike in the market (hence the frunk). I think a real engine protection in the event of crash is something like this:

OVER : Engine guard [59-21-02B] or
GOLDMEDAL : Slash guard [SGH15-06]

What do you think?

Last edited:
They may be sold as engine guards, but the biggest thing they are protecting is the frame. If the frame is damaged at all most insurance companies will total the bike. Plastic is cheap to replace so are clutch, stator covers. The frame is what needs protected. I've seen a scratch (pretty good one) on a frame total a bike where there is only slight plastic damage. So the question is what do you want to protect? Your investment or cheap plastic or metal covers?

I generally think in terms of repairs, so my question is always: Would it _really_ be more expensive to TIG that frame up a little than to replace the crankcase? I do NOT like 'protectors' that bolt to engine castings. Delrin or urethane frame sliders make sense to me. Bars that bolt to the side of the cylinder or crankcase do not. I could be TOTALLY wrong about this, but that's how it always works out in my head.

I am more concerned regarding the radiator on the NC, sticking out. Do these crash bars protect the radiator, if the bike drops accidentally? How good are these at protecting the rider's lower limbs?

I bought the light bar as protection for the radiator. The engine is wrapped by the frame and not really likely to be damaged by a slide. The exposure of the radiator cap is negated by the light bar, the front of the radiator isn't really in danger unless your taking it motocrossing. IMHO.

I am more concerned regarding the radiator on the NC, sticking out. Do these crash bars protect the radiator, if the bike drops accidentally? How good are these at protecting the rider's lower limbs?

Not sure about the others, SW-Motech has a bar across at the bottom front of radiator. It connects the two crash bars (left/right) providing more rigid and strong support in the event of fall.

Not sure about the others, SW-Motech has a bar across at the bottom front of radiator. It connects the two crash bars (left/right) providing more rigid and strong support in the event of fall.

i have the sw motech crash bars, and i do crash, now that that's over with. they are very strong and well made with a cross bars to shift loading to the other side when i fall down.. dale.

i have the sw motech crash bars, and i do crash, now that that's over with. they are very strong and well made with a cross bars to shift loading to the other side when i fall down.. dale.

Can you please post a picture of it? Thanks.

Just saw another version crash guard... This one looks like a midway of all guards I have seen. a compromise and perhaps a better and tougher one.
Enjoy:
484630_455218397842065_960647742_n.jpg

165883_455218451175393_219327408_n.jpg

562833_455218537842051_653658201_n.jpg

375716_455218607842044_436955319_n.jpg

Another option soon .....

Was at the Indy show last weekend .... stopped by the ALTRider booth ...

AltRider: USA/Global Site

the guy said they have NC700X Engine Guards in development - should have something in a month or two ...

engine guards are a waste of time if you expect it to save the bike in a hard crash.
as said bugger the frame no matter how slight insurance will right it off.
but if you just tumble over or fall over in slow motion..like manoeuvring etc then yes its a good idea.
I intend to make my own just incase I tumble etc but not in a crash.

Back