• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Primary Gear Drive?

Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if this engine uses a primary chain or gear, how about the counter balancer is it gear driven or chain?

Anyone know if this engine uses a primary chain or gear, how about the counter balancer is it gear driven or chain?

Primary drive and balance shaft are both gear drive. Hope your not considering disconnecting the balance shaft.......other models where this has been discussed and done yielded little power gains with really bad vibration gains :)

Last edited:
One or two here may recall my penchant for gear driven mechanisms, and much ranting on the subject lol :eek:

I am really happy (placebo effect or not, heh heh) that both my CBR125R and my NCX have gear driven counterbalancers versus chain. I love the whirly gear sounds from the engine, too.

I hated the engine on my F800ST, and by odd coincidence, it had some bizarro third connecting rod counter mass complexity instead of the "usual" kind, chain or gear. For me, it did not work. Not only did it sound like a bag of rocks in a metal dustbin, it vibrated so badly I could hardly ride it. It blew every single bulb on it within a few months, and I had to go to BMW for the turn signal bulbs! They were a weird kind that I could not buy anywhere! I had to go to HID's, just to keep headlight bulbs from constantly blowing out. My sidestand fell off twice, many fasteners fell out and disappeared while riding.

I spent a lot of time and money to try and make it liveable through the horrible vibes and failed. I HATED it.

[/end another rant]

Last edited:
I don't know anything good about them, but counter-balancer chains are great for destroying KLR-650 motors. I stopped to help a guy in the Yukon last year after his OEM doohickey went Tango Uniform in the middle of nowhere. It looked like someone had dropped a grenade down the oil-fill port. All I could do was help him thumb a ride. He was wondering how to get the bike back to Kansas. For what it would cost, my suggestion was to push it off in the weeds and start walking, or try clicking his heels together and saying "There's no place like home!"

He looked like he wanted to bitch-slap me.

LBS, no thoughts of doing that just wanted to know the design. Gear good, chain not as good!

Beemer, i think i would have punched you in the nose!!

Kawaski has know about the doohicky for 26 years no idea as to why it never gets fixed...still one of there best sellers. The twin cam Harleys from 1999-07 had severe cam bearing problems how many thousand blew up......at 3-4000 thousand in repair costs......Get em now and get em later. In the harley case as long as it says HD on the tank....nothing else matters, at least the kaw aftermarket doohickey is cheap and easy to fix and the bike is inexpensive to start with.

Drifter if you go to a site like Rockymountainatv and get into the OEM Honda parts section. The parts for the NC700X are listed. You can get a good understanding of this simple motor. A motor turning this few RPMs and makes what torque it does is not going to tear up parts, providing the steel is not China grade.

I'm surprised some engineer hasn't tried using tire balancing beads yet to save a few dollars.

Last edited:
...after his OEM doohickey went Tango Uniform in the middle of nowhere.

Did you spend some time in the service?
That's not a term you hear very often on the outside world. I must admit, it almost made me choke on my gedunk while saying "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!"

Did you spend some time in the service?
That's not a term you hear very often on the outside world. I must admit, it almost made me choke on my gedunk while saying "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!"
Time to put a round turn on that lingo, it's secured!

Last edited:
Time to put a round turn on that lingo, it's secured!

Roger that. My NC is Bingo fuel. Last chance for a Round Trip.. We're RTB. Good hunting.

Did I miss any? No service time. Just grew up in it and had the good fortune of a high draft number and college so's not to have to participate in the waning days of 'Nam. Kudos and appreciation to those that did, though.

Roger that. My NC is Bingo fuel. Last chance for a Round Trip.. We're RTB. Good hunting.

Did I miss any? No service time. Just grew up in it and had the good fortune of a high draft number and college so's not to have to participate in the waning days of 'Nam. Kudos and appreciation to those that did, though.

I think Beemer has been watching too many movies while waiting on the arm to heal.

Back