• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ride Around Kansas City

wgwgoldwing

So long folks!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Friday was decent enough so I loaded up the NC with my camera and a few lenses to try and get some shots in the big city. No NC pictures, it was just the tool to get me there.

I processed these in a somewhat HDR fashion. Some dig HDR others hate it. Still haven't figured out what is killing my image quality when I upload these. There is so much more detail on my local copies.
Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of shots from my local ride.

This is downtown Kansas City. Taken from the Liberty Memorial. The closest building is Union Station.

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2483-hdr1.jpg

I love these old buildings. These were taken just west of downtown looking toward the west. There is just so much going on with the old buildings, signs, roads, bridges, people, trains, cars, etc.

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2474-kchdr3.jpg

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2473-kchdr2.jpg

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2475-kchdr4.jpg

WGW

Generally not a fan of HDR when it is done to the extent that it no longer resembles a photo. When done in moderation it is nice though.

I think HDR can look nice when done in moderation. Not a fan though when processed very heavy and the images no longer have any resemblance to a photo.

What camera/lens/setting are you using for these? If you don't mind sharing? I like the sky in the 1st one. The definition of the signs is nice too, getting a little rain/snow I can see from the puddles in the alleys.

Hey Goldwing, maybe when it warms up I'll make a 'long' trek up to KC. It is about 3.5-4 hours from my house. To me, that would be a LONG drive :cool:

Beautiful, but what's HDR?

AZ_Ed's link about sums it up. Usually you take three or more images at different exposure levels (under, normal, and over exposed). This captures all the darks, lights and normal light levels. You merge the multiple exposures into one picture and can tweak things to really bring out the detail in all areas (shadows and highlights).

Here's one I did of my Goldwing:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2498-dsc4479hdr.jpg

Had I used just the normal picture, the sky would have been blown out or the shadows would have been dark with no real detail. This example is purposely over processed. It looks fake but is a real picture.

WGW

What camera/lens/setting are you using for these? If you don't mind sharing? I like the sky in the 1st one. The definition of the signs is nice too, getting a little rain/snow I can see from the puddles in the alleys.

Nikon D7000 and a Nikon (Nikkor) 17-35mm 2.8. All were shot at f/11 & ISO 100. The shutter speed was adjusted for the proper exposure. Yep, snow melted, then we got a good bit of rain the night before.

WGW

Hey Goldwing, maybe when it warms up I'll make a 'long' trek up to KC. It is about 3.5-4 hours from my house. To me, that would be a LONG drive :cool:

You bet! Hopfully all us MO riders can have a central meet and greet in Columbia or Jefferson City this year.

WGW

Back