• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dct

How reliable is the DCT?

• Have had problems with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have not had problems with it

Votes: 18 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canbo

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don’t know how to set up a poll to answer this question so I’ll just ask. How many DCT owners have had no issues with their transmissions?

Thanks,

Bob

Under the "Thread Tools" pull down menu above your post, as seen from a web browser on a PC, there is a choice to add a poll to the thread. If you are using Tapatalk, that option may not be available to you.

Bought my 2013 NC700X DCT in May of 2016 with 4K miles on it (from first owner).
Today, 3 years after, it's 20K miles on my odometer. No DCT issue so far.

I'm buying a 2013 DCT model tomorrow with 8k miles on it. I am hoping for many problem free miles.

One thing I wonder, do the clutches wear in the tranny like a standard bike to where they will need replaced later? I can't imagine that would be cheap to replace, but could be wrong. Clutch needs replaced in my Vulcan Nomad 1600 so I am gonna dive in and do it myself one day soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm buying a 2013 DCT model tomorrow with 8k miles on it. I am hoping for many problem free miles.

One thing I wonder, do the clutches wear in the tranny like a standard bike to where they will need replaced later? I can't imagine that would be cheap to replace, but could be wrong. Clutch needs replaced in my Vulcan Nomad 1600 so I am gonna dive in and do it myself one day soon.

I have not yet read of a DCT needing a clutch replacement due to wear, although I’d expect it to happen someday since they use metal and friction disks like a manual wet clutch. I think I read that the whole dual clutch pack is to be replaced as a unit, rather than just replacing the friction plates.

I bought my 2015 new. 24,000 miles with no problems (except for the time that I hit the kill switch in gear). It turned out to be a simple solution.
>Thom

I bought my 2015 new. 24,000 miles with no problems (except for the time that I hit the kill switch in gear). It turned out to be a simple solution.
>Thom

What is the issue there? I read where if you kill it without putting in neutral first that upon turning key on and cranking, it automatically throws itself back in neutral. Is that correct?

Greg touched on this well but let me go a little further. The bike downshifts itself to 1st when stopped and if you turn off the key with it in gear it will shift to neutral upon turning the key back on. Another situation is when you are riding along in 5th or 6th and accidentally hit the kill switch and coast to a stop. The transmission can’t work it’s way back to N for the reason Greg posted. A manual transmission bike would do the same thing. The rider might get down a gear or two but not back to N without rocking the bike back and forth a little to allow the gear dogs to engage. If a DCT bike rolls to a stop key on but kill switch off it will stop in 3rd or 4th and can’t find N unless you roll the bike back and forth and help out the shift actuator servo motor.

Greg touched on this well but let me go a little further. The bike downshifts itself to 1st when stopped and if you turn off the key with it in gear it will shift to neutral upon turning the key back on. Another situation is when you are riding along in 5th or 6th and accidentally hit the kill switch and coast to a stop. The transmission can’t work it’s way back to N for the reason Greg posted. A manual transmission bike would do the same thing. The rider might get down a gear or two but not back to N without rocking the bike back and forth a little to allow the gear dogs to engage. If a DCT bike rolls to a stop key on but kill switch off it will stop in 3rd or 4th and can’t find N unless you roll the bike back and forth and help out the shift actuator servo motor.

Thanks for giving me credit for a partial explanation, but I later decided that since I don't own a DCT, there are better experts such as you, that are better qualified to give an accurate answer. So, I removed my post.

But to summarize, what I said was that the DCT shifting is still sequential, like a manual transmission. The shift drum motor can't usually work back down to neutral from a high gear if the engine isn't running and the bike isn't moving, since the gear engagement dogs are likely not aligned or might have pressure on them, just as in a manual transmission.

Dave, is there some work-around where the DCT will start the engine when in gear as long as you hold the front brake lever?

Last edited:
That makes sense, I was thinking there was an issue killing it while stopped completely in first gear. Did not consider killing it in a higher gear.

So if something happen and say you killed it in high gear going down the road, could you immediately crank it back? Or does it have to be all the way in neutral before it will crank no matter what?

At 24,000kms on my 2017 X-Adv 750, there are no issues albeit there is a worldwide recall on this Model of the NC series because of DCT issues due to overheating of the ECU in hotter climates. Mine has not been recalled (as yet). I have on one occasion reset the DCT to clear a slight tendency to creep when stopped in gear but I would not consider that an issue as such.

2015 NC 700 DCT 50,000 happy miles no problems.
Almost all miles are 2 up, 350 lbs plus any bags or other stuff.
Battery went after two years, only caused starting problem. Lots of tires, chain, and sprockets, brake pads. Still happy with the bike.

Last edited:
... So if something happen and say you killed it in high gear going down the road, could you immediately crank it back? Or does it have to be all the way in neutral before it will crank no matter what?

Simply put the kill switch back into the "run" position before the engine's RPM drops below approx. 1500, (point of clutch engagement).

Back