• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X fuel octane recommendation?

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In order to help me pick a fight with a magazine editor, can someone with a USA model NC750X tell what the Honda owner’s manual recommends for fuel octane, along with it’s octane measurement method? I assume it’s 86 or better, using the R+M/2, or Anti-Knock Index methods common in the U.S.

The latest digital edition of Motorcycle Consumers News features a 2018 NC750X. The specs listed in that article shows a Fuel Grade of 91 octane for that motorcycle. It does not list the octane measurement method. Now if I knew nothing about the 750 and saw that 91 octane spec, I would probably forget about that bike as I would never buy a machine that required 91 octane. These magazines need to get their act together.

Last edited:
In order to help me pick a fight with a magazine editor, can someone with a USA model NC750X tell what the Honda owner’s manual recommends for fuel octane, along with it’s octane measurement method? I assume it’s 86 or better, using the R+M/2, or Anti-Knock Index methods common in the U.S.

The latest digital edition of Motorcycle Consumers News features a 2018 NC750X. The specs listed in that article shows a Fuel Grade of 91 octane for that motorcycle. It does not list the octane measurement method. Now if I knew nothing about the 750 and saw that 91 octane spec, I would probably forget about that bike as I would never buy a machine that required 91 octane. These magazines need to get their act together.

Found this on this site:
The manual for mine (NC750x 2016) specs better than 86, so regular is fine.

Edit for clarity: the manual specifies PON rating -
from the wikipedia
"Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2
In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe,[citation needed] the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON)."

Nc750x octane level 89, 91, 94 - north america

Not exactly what you're looking for but for the 2016 NC750x user's manual-

"Fuel type: Unleaded gasoline only Recommended fuel octane number: Pump Octane Number (PON) 86 or higher. Tank capacity: 3.73 US gal (14.1 liters)"

Another fuel data point not related to the NC........the VFR1200x recommends PON 91 or higher.
The VFR has knock sensor so it’s able to adjust the ignition curve. So performance could change with fuel choice.
I have used reg and prem fuels seat of the pants says no real measurable difference.
Most likely a dyno would measure a difference.

The knock sensor is the reason even on high end preference cars and trucks, premium is recommended not required. The ignition curve is controlled and adjusted to the fuel.

Last edited:
Not exactly what you're looking for but for the 2016 NC750x user's manual-

"Fuel type: Unleaded gasoline only Recommended fuel octane number: Pump Octane Number (PON) 86 or higher. Tank capacity: 3.73 US gal (14.1 liters)"

Thanks. That’s exactly what I needed. The US and Canada use the same PON system so the owner’s manuals should have the same fuel recommendation language.

You would think Honda Corp would light up over this one and get a retraction and correction printed.

I just turn a blind eye to most misprints that I spot in the mags and rags - figure it’s just inherent to the medium and a sign of our times. But this one is potentially a biggie - I’m another guy that has deliberately taken a pass on owning a bike because of the fuel requirements stating premium only.

You would think Honda Corp would light up over this one and get a retraction and correction printed.

I just turn a blind eye to most misprints that I spot in the mags and rags - figure it’s just inherent to the medium and a sign of our times. But this one is potentially a biggie - I’m another guy that has deliberately taken a pass on owning a bike because of the fuel requirements stating premium only.

Yes, misprints are inherent to the medium. So just like salesman babble, and OEM websites, you have to assume anything written in a motorcycle magazine could well be untrue. You’ll need multiple sources with corroborated statements before you can begin to take anything as fact.

Count me as another that would not have bought an NC if it took premium fuel. Buying a vehicle because it gets good mileage then putting premium in it is like buying Ramen then boiling it in cognac.

By the way, this is exactly why I call these dumb cars - Smart car

The magazine editor responded but took no responsibility for the printed error. This didn’t surprise me.

He said, “[FONT=&quot]We used data provided by Honda PR, which probably listed RON (not PON), as it's a Japanese company”.[/FONT]

Yes, misprints are inherent to the medium. So just like salesman babble, and OEM websites, you have to assume anything written in a motorcycle magazine could well be untrue. You’ll need multiple sources with corroborated statements before you can begin to take anything as fact.
Just like Internet forums.

Back