• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X clutch cable

Welsh Nomad

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
2 questions. First does anybody know if the clutch cable for a 700x is the same as the 750x? The reason I ask is that Venhill show that they have cables for the 700x but not the 750x but the same cable is listed as being suitable for the 750s.

Second question, where can I get a manual for the 2014 NC750X. I may have to replace the clutch plates if a new cable doesn't solve the issue.

Cheers
Mike

First of all, what are your symptoms? Is the clutch slipping under high load? Can you wiggle the actuator lever down at the engine side cove, confirming you have slack in the cable?

Or, is the lever simply too difficult to pull, indicating a binding cable?

First of all, what are your symptoms? Is the clutch slipping under high load? Can you wiggle the actuator lever down at the engine side cove, confirming you have slack in the cable?

Or, is the lever simply too difficult to pull, indicating a binding cable?

With all due respect this is not the answer to the question. The question was are the clutch cables on the 700X the same as those on the 750X?

As you may surmise by now the question is academic as the issue has been fixed. The problem was that the clutch cable started to fray just inside the outer casing at the engine end. When removed and replaced there were just 3 strands left intact. The severed strands were bunching when the clutch was let out and so preventing the clutch from engaging fully. This made for an interesting riding experience, which at the time was inconvenient.

So folks if you have an NC750X that has done, is is coming up to, 40,000 miles it is time to start carrying a spare clutch cable. I had in fact had one on order but the dealer forgot to order it at the time and I had reminded him a couple of days before mine went. It takes about 5 minutes to change the cable if you know what you are doing.

By the way I would still like to get hold of a workshop manual for this bike if such a thing exist.

Happy New Year
Mike

Attachments

• DSC05021.jpg
    DSC05021.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC05020.jpg
    DSC05020.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 314
That is a strange place for the cable to unravel because it's probably a straight run at that point?

That is strange. I’ve seen that at the lever end but never the clutch end. Cables don’t normally fray at a straight section. Usually they fray near where they bend repeatedly (like at the lever).

JT

Do you have Hepco & Becker crash bars?

This might explain the fraying at this point...

[Usually they fray near where they bend repeatedly (like at the lever)]

Most of the strain put on clutch cables at the handlebar end is because the barrel end of the cable can't move freely in the lever. One of my winter maintenance chores is to clean the cable end and its socket in the lever, then regrease. Also remove the lever and clean the pivot, pivot bolt and the perch on the handlebar and regrease. It also makes lever pull softer so it's really a win-win. :)

Do you have Hepco & Becker crash bars?

This might explain the fraying at this point...

As it happens I do have Hepco and Becker crash bars and when I fitted them I recognised that this would be a weak point in the plot. This is why I was monitoring the situation and had a new cable on order.

Sorry for the delay, the bike is so reliable a seldom come onto the forum.

Mike

Back