• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Wheel Spray

stocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there folks, I am seriously thinking of buying a NC750X as my daily commuting machine and have one key question that cannot be answered by looking at spec' sheets.
When riding in the wet does water from the road get thrown up your back by the rear wheel, it's something my MT09 suffers from badly. I guess it's because style wins over function, and doesn't matter to loads of folks who only ride when it's dry and sunny.
Input from you all weather riders would be greatly appreciated along with any other comments you have about all weather commuting on this bike.

When riding through soupy mud over gravel I get a minimal amount of fine mist on my back and from the ankle down my riding pants and boots get soaked from the front wheel spray. I feel the mist on my back is likely from the low pressure produced by my Madstad windshield and I can't imagine a bike without floorboards that would keep your feet dry in those conditions.

I have a NC700X but I doubt there would be a significant difference.

Last edited:
My 2015 has a full complement of OEM side bags and top box. I hardly notice anything road moisture making it up to where I sit. I have a dual seat (Russell) that is basically like two bucket seats and the rear seat never seems to collect much in the way of water. I wear an Aerostich suit that sheds water so I can only say that water thrown by the rear tire probably just runs off the back of my legs. I commute all year in Washington state rain and the NC serves me very well.
>T

They are great for commuting and I have had no real problems in the rain. My boots get completely soaked from the front wheel, but no issues from the rear.

I have a top box that gets sprayed on the bottom side, but I've never had any on my back. My legs stay pretty dry from the back wheel (I still get it from the road), but when I have my kid riding with me his legs get pretty wet.

I run with saddle bags and a top case all the time and I ride year round in all conditions. In my case, my front side gets much more wet from the spray created by vehicles and my back stays dry. Like someone else stated, the front wheel loves to throw water right at your boots when going through large puddles.

Not had issues with the rear wheel, but I've managed to have small potholes filled with water get emptied onto my boots from the front tire.

Back