• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ram Mount phone mount installed

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that I've wanted to add was a mount for a phone. Not so much for phone use, but rather for navigational use.

I don't really like looking down at the tank or triple tree area while riding to see a map, so I wanted something that was mounted closer to the line of eyesight.

Drilled a hole into the MadStad mount and installed a Ram ball. Attached a "mid length" double ended Ram clamp, the type with the security lock, and on the end of that is Ram mounting ball with a phone case attached to that.

I mounted it OFF center on purpose. My thought is that I have room for something else in the future that can be attached to the other windscreen mount. I have Ram ball located on the outside left, it could easily be switched to the inside left to allow me to center the phone if I choose to do so.

fullsizeoutput_62db.jpgfullsizeoutput_62da.jpgfullsizeoutput_62d9.jpg

Rammer.........

melensdad,

That is a great example of making the best use of what's available.

Slo_Rider

That's a great place for visibility but on rougher pavement it might vibrate and jiggle a bit. Maybe not.

That's a great place for visibility but on rougher pavement it might vibrate and jiggle a bit. Maybe not.

It certainly may. I noticed the windscreen bouncing a bit at highway speeds with a 40mph crosswind. But for navigation purposes I'm looking at that for making turns, not for reading emails and text messages. I only really need to see the arrows pointing to the direction of travel. And if the road is particularly rough I'd probably slow down too.

You could use the rubber restraint Ram provides for extra security when it gets jiggy.

I didn't use the Ram pressure point style phone case. So I don't have the net style rubber restraint that Ram uses.

I used a fully waterproof case from TwistyRide in the UK which actually locks onto the Ram system, it has a Ram mount screwed right into a Ram adapter that is built into the case. Its a bulky case so I won't use the case for my normal phone carry, only for holding the phone while I'm on the bike.

Here are the components that I used to build my own set up:
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.39.43 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.38.59 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.36.33 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.36.14 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.37.43 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Just thought I'd update this a bit.

I bought 2 of each of the Ram balls and locking arms. 1 of the phone cases, and 1 of the latches. Both are ultimately for my bike. Only 1 of the balls and 1 of the arms is installed. I have it set up with the phone case holder as shown in the prior photos. I have the other Ram ball and locking arm reserved for use with a future BEELINE navigation unit. Mine is intentionally mounted OFF CENTER but if I decide not to add the 2nd Ram arm in the future I can reverse my mount and center the phone very easily.

Some observations from use:

Didn't realize it but each of the locking arms requires a different "key" to adjust them. I had both keys in my Frunk but assumed they were they same. They are not. If you ORDER multiple locking arms you may want to request they all be set up to use the same key. I did not. Spent about 5 frustrating minutes use the wrong key trying to adjust one of the arms yesterday before I figured out that I am an idiot.

On the bright side the Ram ball and arm, drilled through & lock nutted to the MadStad bracket, work great, very solid and stable. Minimal vibration issues, I have zero issues reading the words on my phone screen for navigation. There are plenty of other ways to mount Ram ball mounts, I suspect on any motorcycle there will always been some bit of vibration but my mounting point seems to be a good spot.

I do not like looking DOWN while riding so I purposefully mounted my phone above the dash. It is perfect for me; others may want it mounted even higher or my want to mount down at the Triple Tree or even a handlebar mount. Ram offers lots of choices.

The Ram locking arms are very theft resistant too; probably would destroy them to remove them. Fortunately they are well made so I think a thief might give up before damaging anything.

The downside of using the locking arms is that if you want to make a minor adjustment you have to fish out the key to do the adjustment. I think that is a reasonable trade off for the theft resistance. Ram does make NON LOCKING arms too. You have your choice. I picked the locking style as my choice.

The Twisty Ride phone case is bulky and shiny. I would prefer both a smaller case and a matte finish case. The case also has a lanyard hole but does not come with a lanyard. I did add one of my own and have been using it just in case the Ram clip attachment fails. So far the Ram clip is very secure, no issues of the phone coming loose on gravel roads, railroad crossings, etc.​

Last edited:
Back