• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another Helmet Question

Arkridia

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you do not get upset with me for asking so many questions but I have decided when I get my new bike I want to get a full face helmet. I need to buy one no more then 150.00 but it has to be light weight. I also have a problem finding helmets small enough. Last year I was lucky and fund a half helmet that fit me perfect that I will still wear, yes I know the risk. I buy extra small but I have never found one till last year that was not to big. With my problems with my next most helmets I try on give me instant migraines and then I cannot see well to the sides. Everyone addressed that issue so now that I am more aware of what I need to look for can you suggest some that may fit me and also in the frunk in a 2012-2015? I do not have a round head if that will help.
Also, does anyone know of a store between Erie and Warren PA or Erie to Buffalo,NY that carries a large selection of helmets to try on? Most Harley Davidson stores only carry half helmets and the Honda dealerships carry just a few choices. I prefer not to order without trying them on to see how they fit first. I know once I find what fits I can always order if they only have black because I want to get something other then black to make it easier to see me. I think as I get older and losing feeling in my leg I am becoming more cautious.

A good, light helmet below 150? Good luck with that. Light rhymes with carbon fiber which rhymes with expensive. In my experience anyway. I currently own a Shark Speed R 2 Carbon, got it very cheap but still above 200 (€).

A full face helmet is a great option for safety. My recommendation would be to check for fit before worrying about weight. You want the helmet to be comfortable and fit properly. If it causes discomfort it will not make you a happy rider. Lots of companies make extra small helmets you just need to make sure they fit you. Before you make your final decision keep the helmet on your head in the store for 15 minutes to make sure it will not cause discomfort. Don't worry about color. The store can bring in anything from the catalog. fit fit fit :)

The HJC CL-17 is a decent full coverage helmet. Reviews are good and I used one for over a year. Revzilla will let you return a helmet if there is a size issue. Finding a store with a large selection of helmet brands and sizes won't be easy where you are.

Save up an extra month and get a good helmet that meets your requirements. It's gonna take time, but believe me, this is not a piece of gear to skimp on.

There is a thread on the site that gives good details on helmets that fit in the frunk, however after my years of riding, I have found the frunk to be more useful carrying my stuff than storing my helmet. I have a lock and just lock the helmet to the pillion frame (where I have added a luggage frame.)Between gloves, compact compressor, wipes for my visor, insect spray, charging cables and other stuff like that, camera and whatnot, and my drone, there is no room in my frunk for the helmet. The helmet gets locked to the back of the bike and I have never had a problem.

The HJC CL-17 is a decent full coverage helmet. Reviews are good and I used one for over a year. Revzilla will let you return a helmet if there is a size issue. Finding a store with a large selection of helmet brands and sizes won't be easy where you are.

+1

Revzilla is known for decent returns on anything that doesn't fit. You could always try their website. Also, check out Cyclegear.com and see if there's a store near you. They generally have all kinds of helmets to try on and decent prices.

As a bonus, more rarely purchased sizes like XS are often the best close-out deals when models change. Find a brand that fits your head shape, then look for clearance deals. You might get a better helmet for a price that fits your budget.

Get an inch/metric cloth measuring tape from the sewing supply section in a dept. store to get an accurate read on your head size. The measuring tape also comes in handy when you're looking at buying MC gear online. I used a tape to help me figure out what size I should be looking at in the Roadcrafter one and two piece suits from Aerostich (or misspelled as Aerostitch) on Ebay.

Last edited:
I always wear half helmets would the same make fit in a full or modular?

Like clothing, sizing seems to vary between brands but is fairly consistent within a brand, regardless of helmet style. Some brands to to favor a certain head shape, i.e. round vs oblong. I think within a brand the head shape might also be somewhat consistent.

So to answer the question, if you like a brand's half helmet, you could expect their full face or modular to fit in a similar way. Some people have a long nose or wear eyeglasses that cause no problems on a half or 3/4 style, but may have interference with the face shield on a full face of a certain brand.

Pressure put on the cheeks can be quite different between brands and even models, so you have to try nevertheless.

Cycle Gear has a huge selection at their stores, unfortunately Cleveland or Pittsburgh are your closest options. Their Bilt or Sedici brands have helmets in your price range.

I have the Sedici Carbon helmet, and love it. It was $300, but as they only had a display in my size, and there were a couple scratches on the back of it, they knocked the price down as well as a "returning customer discount" I got it for $200.

Looks like it's about 10-15 miles outside of Cleveland.

25102 Brookpark Rd, North Olmsted, OH 44070

A helmet protects your brain and your face. Don't ride, save up and get a good helmet. If your helmet isn't comfortable....you will be miserable riding your bike.

Back