• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone care to talk about boots?

lue42

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a new pair of boots. Does anyone have any wisdom to share or comments (good or bad) about any I mention below?

80% of my riding is commuting, so I started looking into a pair of boots that I could wear at the office. One of the things I am discovering about motorcycle boots/shoes is that no matter how much they make them to look like regular shoes, they are not comfortable or made to handle walking in for long periods. It is best to change into office shoes.

My preferences:
  • Lower in price
  • Available in size 12.5/13 (UK47/48) and for a wide foot
  • Prefer quick on off (zippers/buckles)
  • Short-to-medium height

Here are some I found:

These are the most shoe looking. but they may be too slim or too long for my wider foot. It is really hard to tell from the contradicting reviews.
However, they are zipper up. They only have sizes in black.
TCX X-Groove Waterproof Shoes | FortNine Canada

These are well reviewed and I like the quick on and off. Would be good for longer rides too. With pants over they don't look too crazy.
Firstgear Kathmandu Lo Waterproof Boots | FortNine Canada

Lace up, but not bad
Firstgear Kili Lo Waterproof Boots | FortNine Canada

These are kinda funky looking, but very good reviews
Alpinestars SMX-3 Boots | FortNine Canada

Pretty standard boots... quick on off, well reviewed
Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof Boots | FortNine Canada
https://fortnine.ca/en/icon-raiden-treadwell-boots

again, plain boots but cheaper and well reviewed, laces though
https://fortnine.ca/en/tourmaster-response-waterproof-2-0-boots

A general observation is that 80% of the boots available claim to be waterproof, while maybe only 20% of them actually are. Reading tons of reviews and test results is one way to pair down the list, but there's still no guarantee of being waterproof.

Another observation is that most boots seem to sell for list price almost everywhere you go, UNTIL they are being replaced by a different model, and then they are significantly discounted. I think around the end and beginning of a year is when deals are found.

Any boots I may buy in the future are going to have "Goretex" fabric in them for waterproofness. There may be other fabrics that claim to be waterproof, but I "think" Goretex has been proven to be so. Not sure, but think the $800-$1000 Aerostich Waterproof Riding Suits incorporate Goretex.....and there suits have been proven to be waterproof from S. America to Prudoe Bay, Alaska and back.

These don't fit all of your criteria but they work well for me. I buy another pair when they start leaking water which is about 20 or 30,000 miles. For a MC boot they are inexpensive.

Tourmaster Solution 2.0 and Solution WP Airs at TOURMASTER, a leader in Motorcycle Apparel, Motorcycle Footwear, and Motorcycle Luggage. - Footwear

FWIW, Goretex is the brand name of a breathable water resistant membrane used in technical apparel. From what I recall it was the first to achieve "brand name" status, similar to Teflon or Naugahyde. There are other makers of materials more or less like Goretex and they work just as well. The membranes themselves don't usually cause leaks, it's how the required seams and stitching in apparel are taped and sealed.

^^^ agree on the Goretex comment.

I have some TCX boots with Goretex that are really nice, but in serious rain my feet have gotten wet, presumably from leaking through the seams. Goretex material supposedly lets water vapors through to relieve perspiration, but do not allow actual water droplets to pass.

I own TCX, Alpinestars, and Gaerne, all "waterproof" boots, but they've all gotten my feet wet or at least damp and one time or another.

Last edited:
Pretty satisfied from my TCX Boots X FIVE PLUS GORETEX. As the name implies they are really waterproof (tested in serious rain), OK for cold weather, comfortable, not too flashy, I can wear then all day even when at a client, and they provide very decent protection. I got then real cheap for the quality (130€).

To be honest...I will never buy boots online. My flat feet are bad enough where I have to try on anything I plan to purchase.

As for an answer to your question, I don't believe there are many "motorcycle" boots that are made for walking, unless you're going to pay top dollar. I used to have a pair of Rockport "shoe boots" that looked stylish enough to wear with my khaki's for work while still rugged enough to wear while riding. I bought those things on sale for $40 in 2004(?) and it wasn't until this year that I had to "retire" them. They weren't waterproof but anytime I got caught in the rain they held up well. (It's always the socks that get wet somehow, then absorb into your feet. I HATE WET SOCKS!!!)
My suggestion would be to search around for something nice at a shoe store or sporting goods store. Try them on and go from there.

I ended up going to a LBS after work to try on some of those shoes on my wish list.

The only pair that they actually had that was on my list was the Alpinestars SMX-3's. They were wonderful. Comfortable, not anywhere as sport looking as in pictures. If I was to pick a shoe off the list right now it would be them.

However, I decided not to make a rush decision and ended up walking out with an interim pair that I just couldn't pass up... Alpinestars Faster shoes for $40. They are super comfortable and the colour is actually growing on me.

I hope to get a chance to try on some more of the shoes and if needed spend more so I get the perfect pair. I'll make a decision before I do any kind of long distance travel in the summer. These will be my commuting/around town pair for now.

FYI, it was at Inglis Cycle in London, Ontario. If anyone is in the area they have a few various clearance boots including these Icon Raiden in only size 12 for $80. I would say they fit a 10-10.5 foot though. Really nice boots if you are in the area and in the market. If you are size 8-9ish there are a few other ridiculously low prices.

The shoes I got: Alpinestar Faster
alpinestars_faster_shoes_750x750.jpg

if you care for a western boot, i have been using Ariat Workhog H2O boots for the past 2 years. water proof in heavy rain, with heavier socks have worn down to 6 degrees for short rides. Very comfortable for all day use.

FirstGear Kili Hi’s are very water resistant and good year round. Not good for a lot of walking around but a really good riding boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can only comment about the Alpinestar Roam 2 which wasn't on your list. Alpinestars Roam 2 Waterproof Boots | FortNine Canada I got them for $199 on sale at a local store. They were pretty good to me for a year and half of commuting but they started to leak at the 1.5 year old. I think if you treat your boots with some of the Nikwax products you can get more life out of the waterproofing. Right now I get damps socks on super wet days. I'm toughing it out until it gets too bothersome. The velcro is also starting to break down as well after the 3rd season so I plan to avoid it going forward. When I spoke with the store after I had issues their experience is about a 2 year lifespan. I assume the lifespan will vary based on usage. I found them not bad to walk in, kind of like a narrow snow boot. Different boots will have soles that are more or less flexible. Like yourself I ended up just keeping my work shoes at work.

I ride in most weather so my currently leaning is to Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots | FortNine Canada which I have seen under $300 locally. I am hoping that the gortex will be worth the investment for the amount of rain that I ride in. The trade off is that they are supposed to be warm which is fine in the cold but not so nice in the summer. For my gear now I am getting better stuff with the hope that the total cost of ownership will be less if I get more life out of it.

A motorcycle shoe for $40 is a steal.

I can only comment about the Alpinestar Roam 2 which wasn't on your list.

yeah, they were just out of the price range I was focusing in on. I will probably expand my range to make sure I am picking the right boot.

...Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots | FortNine Canada[/url] which I have seen under $300 locally.

$300 or more feels like so much... I really have a hard time justifying that, but you never know.

I am generally a fair weather rider. I am getting more comfortable riding in the rain and am ok with it if on a trip. For commuting or around town I try to avoid taking the bike on rain forecast days.

I am starting to think about weather and rain and wondering if I am the target market for something like these Rain Boot Covers. That way I can focus getting the best boot for my needs as possible and cover up when needed. Same goes for glove covers. I was already planning on getting a rain suit to carry with me in my luggage. Anybody used something like these (boot/glove covers)?

A motorcycle shoe for $40 is a steal.

I know, right?! I wore them for a while in the house last night and they are super comfortable and I actually really like the look now - not everything has to be solid black, right?

I started out just wearing sturdy work boots with a non skid sole.
Then I bought some First Gear mesh boots that are very comfortable to walk in for a bit.
Then some goretex Alpinestars, Gran Torino’s, on closeout for a good price.

After some adventures in the woods and off road I realized I needed a heavier boot for that and bought some Alpinestars Corazals, also on sale.

None of these are really comfortable for a full,day in the office, though the firstgears are close.

Frankly there is a direct trade off between safety and off bike comfort. I would vote to change shoes at work.

I think you are totally on the right path. You have to pick the what is the best fit for you and how your ride. If you don't ride in the rain so much getting a boot cover may work for you. I have never used them. Living in the "wet" coast dealing with water is a real world issue with all my gear. These are things that a fair weather rider or living in an area with less rain doesn't need to concern themselves with investing in gear that deals with water.

My attitude towards gear as changed as my riding style has developed over the past 3 seasons. Currently I am looking to get better gear with the hope that it will last longer which would bring down the annual cost of ownership. I hope you find the best boot at half what you want to pay :)

I keep a pair of those overboots in the saddle bags. I cannot stand wet socks! The boot covers work fine for waterproof. They can be bulky, especially if you have the rubber sole kind. If you have a DCT, then I wouldn't worry about it but shifting can sometimes be a hindrance.
But they work, which is what you want them to!

Recently, I bought a pair of Hi-Tec "waterproof" hiking boots. They don't go well with pants but jeans are fine. I also bought a pair of Bass Pro's boots (Black Friday sale) that are supposed to be waterproof as well. I like the Bass Pro boots for comfort but my Hi-Tec's are very durable.

Since I'm the bargain shopper I paid $40 for the Hi-Tec's and $60 for the Bass Pro.

I dont know your definition of innexpensive, but I just bought a pair of Forma Dual Sport boots (short) and while I havent road tested them yet, everyone I know who has them have nothing but praise for them. I am sitting here on my couch, wearing them (hate breaking in boots of any kind, so doing it now rather than while riding) If you search the net you can get them below $200. I have huge calves, so full sized boots are not possible. These look great and feel good, even just sitting here in the house. These are replacing some Bilt Pro Tourer Waterproof boots that were supposed to have been waterproof, but failed miserably the times I got caught in downpours.

ADVENTURE LOW
– Black

ADVENTURE LOW
– Brown

I cannot recommend any hiking boot for the simple fact there is no support on the ankle, especially if you lay the bike down and it is sitting on your foot... Just go out and lay the bike on your foot, you'll know.

Low cost and quality, long lasting, or waterproof don't really belong in the same sentence. I was searching last year and at the end I spent more than I wanted to but after a year of riding I am very happy that I did. I like to buy something and keep it for a long, long time. Here is a thread on my other forum when I started my search. I too have a 12.5 to 13 foot but a medium width (US) UK (11) European (46). (E) If I remember correctly. Some good suggestions in this thread. Remember that Italian boots usually tend to be a narrower fit (C). The boots I ended up with where Daytona Road Star GTX. They come in Medium and wide. I went with their wide and sent it back to get the medium. Wide is WIDE! Not cheap but I can walk around comfortably at stops and even doing tourist stuff. They can be re-soled instead of throwing them out. Truly water proof. in down pours and all dry. Feet comfortable. Used in temps comfortably from 40F to 115F without extra anything and my feet were not sweaty or damp. When I was out for two hours in 32F my feet started to get chilly around the hour mark. Stopped and warmed up and rode home. The thread didn't work so I copied the short cuts to save you reading time.
TCX Evo tours
Daytona Road Star GTX Boots - RevZilla

Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots - 2015 :: MotorcycleGear.com
TCX Explorer Evo Gore-Tex Boots - 2015 :: MotorcycleGear.com
SIDI Tour Rain Boots - (Sz 42 Only) - RevZilla
STREET 1.0 BOOT
Sidi B2 Gore-Tex Boots - FREE UK DELIVERY
https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/sidi/on-road-boots/
https://www.mcas.com.au/persistent/catalogue_images/products/ALPINSTARS-SMX-6-GORETEX-BLACK.jpg
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-evo-gore-tex-boots
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-trq-tour-gore-tex-boots
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-evo-gore-tex-boots

Good luck in your search and final purchase!

Last edited:
I'm going to suggest buying real motorcycle boots and not using workboots or hiking boots or anything like that. You want protection for your feet and MC boots have that where those other kind of boots don't. Don't try to find boots for the office and the bike. Get a pair of good boots and keeps shoes under your desk. Change when you get to work and before you leave for the day. That way no compromises for either pair of footwear.

I will suggest the boot that I've found to be great for wide feet - I've got 4E and a high instep. I've not found any other boots to really fit me as well. These aren't cheap but they should last you for years and can be resoled. Have a look at the Daytona boots from Germany. I have a pair of the RoadStar GTX and they are also waterproof with Goretex.

Daytona

Never ever will I ride with low shoes or boots not made for riding. In my last two falls the boots saved my foot, and died in the process (better equipment than my body parts). When you see that friction went through the leather (could see my toes), and your ankle was saved by the inserts, you wonder what would have happened with standard shoes.

Same goes for gloves...

Back