• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Possible to disconnect ABS on NC700X Or mod it to switchable?

Atomant

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all nc700x owners. As I am awaiting the delivery of my NC700X which comes with ABS, I am also wondering if it is possibletodisconnect the ABS/combined braking feature? Or is it possible to mod it to make it 'switchable'?

Can I ask why you'd want to do such a mod? :)

Hi AdvSplash, I don't mean to be rude but do you have the answers to my question my friend?

But to answer your question, I enjoy motorcycling without ABS/combined braking and I hope I can have a choice to switch it on or,off or simply just to disconnect it.

Last edited:
Hi AdvSplash, I don't mean to be rude but do you have the answers to my question my friend?

But to answer your question, I enjoy motorcycling without ABS/combined braking and I hope I can have a choice to switch it on or,off or simply just to disconnect it.

I would love to have this mod too. For me.. i prefer the bike without ABS on dry road condition and with ABS on a wet road.

My friend BMW GSA has a switch to on and off the ABS which i find it useful.

Problem is with the ABS bikes the brakes are also linked. Unless you want to put new hoses and blockoffs on you will still have linked brakes. My VFR had linked brakes with no ABS. I went through the headache to de-link them. Tough to trail brake through a corner when you are also getting front brake. I'm so glad the US version doesn't have linked brakes although I would like ABS

The KTM 990 SM-T has a dual channel non-linked switchable ABS. It is a Bosch unit that only weighs two lbs. the unit itself is $1300. That would make a sweet add-on to a non-ABS NC. It is designed by and for for high performance riders, not attorneys.

There is a specific 30 amp fuse for the ABS system in the fuse box. I wonder what would happend if that fuse "mysteriously" melts...

PD: not that I'm going to probe it, nor I would recomend doing it

There is a specific 30 amp fuse for the ABS system in the fuse box. I wonder what would happend if that fuse "mysteriously" melts...

PD: not that I'm going to probe it, nor I would recomend doing it

It should motor on without abs but with linked brakes. Wouldn't hurt to test it. Put a switch in line with the fuse so it can pass startup diagnostics, open the switch, and go stomp the brakes on a gravel road.

Problem is with the ABS bikes the brakes are also linked. Unless you want to put new hoses and blockoffs on you will still have linked brakes. My VFR had linked brakes with no ABS. I went through the headache to de-link them. Tough to trail brake through a corner when you are also getting front brake. I'm so glad the US version doesn't have linked brakes although I would like ABS
No intent to hijack the thread but I have no problem trail braking the ST1300's linked brakes and the '98 VFR I had. The VFR, at least the later models, has a similar system to the 1300 in using a secondary master cylinder on the left front caliper bracket working through a proportioning valve and from rear-to-front through a delay valve. In use light pressure on the foot pedal feeds very little front brake on that system and deep trail braking and rear brake against throttle low speed work is indeed possible. I do it all the time.

I am not familiar with the NC700's system except it does not have an SMC.

You will probably see a fault code and not sure if it will reset by itself when ABS is enabled. Then knowing the cause will just be something to live with.

The abs on my auto in gravel is not like a Gs. When bumpy, you can hear the wheels sliding ( not locking but skiding sound) on gravel. I have yet to want to turn the abs off. On my R1200R or my F650gs twin I would unplug the rear wheel sensor.

I don't have your answer you are looking for I'm afraid, as others have said they are also linked so you probably wont get near the effect you are looking for, but close too :)

I only asked as I thought you were taking her off road, I don't think she'd hold up that well :)

I run my nc off road alot, it will hold up very well, the only weak link is the rear shock. thats a easy fix,, take a look at my skid plate post, bike is set up for off road use. Dale.

I don't have your answer you are looking for I'm afraid, as others have said they are also linked so you probably wont get near the effect you are looking for, but close too :)

I only asked as I thought you were taking her off road, I don't think she'd hold up that well :)

Well, it would be nice if someone would come up with a mod or an aftermarket switch/kit.

I would presume that messing about with your ABS would possibly effect a warranty claim and could also make your road insurance null and void - unless previously declared to insurance company.

Well, it would be nice if someone would come up with a mod or an aftermarket switch/kit.

You could make a start, others may be wanting the same and be able to input.

BUT, as Wozza said, this will probably affect your warranty and insurance.

Back