• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT or Manual on a 2017

Cliffy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I currently ride a 2011 BMW G650GS and a 2011 Harley CVO Softail Convertible. I've had both bikes from new and use the Harley for long trips and the BMW as a general run around and occasional longer trip. I'm thinking of replacing the BMW with a new NC750X but can't make up my mind whether to go for the manual or the DCT version. One of my concerns is that I'll still be riding the Harley and wondered whether switching between the two modes would be a problem. Any views or experiences would be much appreciated.

As for extras on the bike I'm planning on Handlebar guards, heated grips, centre stand and rear rack. Also thinking about the fog & spot light option. Any views on these?

Switching back and forth should not be difficult. I go back and forth between manual motorcycles and CVT scooters with no problems. (And in that case, unlike DCT, you're switching from a clutch to a brake on the left lever, but I have no issue with the switch).

If you ask the group which you should get, most, if not all, current DCT owner's will tell you to get a DCT. Owner's seem very satisfied with them, so you probably can't go wrong. I own a manual, but I've ridden DCT models many times, and they're fine, too. I just personally wouldn't pay any extra for DCT, but if the price was the same I'd be fine with it. There is a weight and complexity penalty with the DCT, and you've lost control of the clutch, but it does have some advantages. With the DCT you can still manually shift if you don't like the computer's choices. I still prefer the manual, but in the end what matters is which tranny do YOU want.

Last edited:
I have a manual transmission motorcycle and a DCT NC700 and switch back and forth all the time with no issues. Also a CVT scooter. Our brains learn to operate a machine without thinking too deeply about it, even swapping between machines with relatively subtle differences in controls.

I also owned a manual transmission 2012 NC700X before the current 2015 DCT. I prefer the DCT. The low revving engine just seems to be made for the DCT box while you work around the quirky engine characteristics paired to a manual transmission. ABS brakes on a DCT are a nice benefit.

I have all the upgrades/options you mentioned and value them.

Some in the USA got DCT because it was the only way to get ABS. If think Canada gets ABS with either transmission.

I was skeptical of the DCT at first because of the lack of track record (new design) but I think reliability and performance have proven themselves. I would recommend the DCT.
We don't have the option of the extra OEM lighting here in the US so no comment on those, I do have the rest you mentioned and would recommend everyone one of them. My only question is do you plan on getting panniers of any kind and if so what kind?
I don't think all aftermarket side cases work with the OEM rear rack but I'm not actually sure.

Last edited:
The vast majority of problems with the DCT bikes have been related to low state of charge in the battery for whatever reason.

I do love my NC/w DCT and wouldn't have bought one with manual transmission since my other bike is a Honda NT700V with manual. I wanted to try something quite different and am happy with my decision! ;)

DTC just didn't do it for me. I can ride a scooter and I'm ok. DCT on a motorcycle messes with me. I like a clutch and to use my foot to shift. 30 years of doing it and I'm set in my ways.
But people seem to love it!

Two small things with a DCT. Adds around 20 pounds to the bike and adds another filter to change during oil changes. Small things but want you to be informed. Newer bikes have 3 choices for the sport mode which would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi,

I choose the DCT over the manual simply because the auto was easier to ride than the manual (IMO). Mine has just gone in for its 1st service and I have nothing but praise for the NC at this stage of ownership and the supplying dealer.

I ride mine in the 1st sport setting as I feel the gearbox gives me better control in this mode, auto downchanges seem quicker giving excellent engine braking, my pals comment that I don't seem to use my brakes much when riding briskly (English for making progress) across country. I ride in the Peak District and for those who know that area will understand the road conditions. The NC is perfect and I can keep up (within reason) with my mates (they ride Triumph 800X and similar).

Love the riding position and for me, there is plenty of usable power in the real world of crowded UK roads.

I have the DCT and love it. After 40 years of riding I use the manual mode all the time. Having control of the gear you are in but no clutch is very liberating, especially in traffic.

[a DCT...Adds around 20 pounds to the bike and adds another filter to change during oil changes...]

The DCT filter only gets changed every other time. :eek:

To ride a NC700X/DCT well,
you have to sacrifice your clutching skills to the Big Red.
Then you have to come over to the Dark Side of riding...
May the force be with you, Padawan!
Not all will a DCT rider make, I believe.
Strongly.

... my pals comment that I don't seem to use my brakes much when riding briskly (English for making progress) across country. ....

I found myself doing the same, even on twisty roads like the Dragon.
IMO, one of the major advantages of the DCT is that it frees up a lot of processing in your mind
that can be utilized in other important areas such as braking through a turn. Many methods of it as we have discussed on other threads...
What I want to point out is the fact that although you can ride DCT with using only engine braking through a turn,
IMO, it is far better to use your brakes (front or rear); and the DCT enables you to fine tune this cornering skill without taking anything away from the rest.

I had a DCT VFR1200 and found that after a few weeks the novelty wore off and I was using it in manual mode 99% of the time unless on a long motorway run.
I appreciate that some people love the system but for me unless I need DCT for physical reasons it will be manual for me.

For prolonged stop-and-go traffic with lots of intersections and abrupt variances in traffic speed, I'd enjoy a lot of the burden taken up by DCT. I don't really have to deal with that much usually though.

Thanks for all the feed back.
Today I did an hours test ride on the DCT model. Took it on open road and in traffic and liked it. I've now ordered a DCT model and will pick it up on September 1st. Can't wait to take it on a long run.

Back