• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Washing the nc's

rmezei

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

forgive me if this has been discussed already but I imagine the NC is waterproof pretty much, correct? I take mine to the manual car wash and gently (from afar) I wash it there, but don't soak it like crazy... I realize the high pressure is NOT good for the paint, but again I keep my distance... and I only allow rinse method... using this method I basically wash it like a car not allowing too much water on the electronic dashboard (or chain)... this should be OK right?

Thanks!

Yea. don't squirt down into stuff, and you will be fine. I wash mine at home with a normal hose and soap up everything, Spray it off and then dry it using one of those "absorber" cloths.

That being said, since I ride it everyday, I don't wash it very often. Probably once every few weeks... Seems to clean up nicely.

Yea. don't squirt down into stuff, and you will be fine. I wash mine at home with a normal hose and soap up everything, Spray it off and then dry it using one of those "absorber" cloths.

That being said, since I ride it everyday, I don't wash it very often. Probably once every few weeks... Seems to clean up nicely.

I then take it for a ride so it air dries quickly :)

Mine only gets washed when it rains. Your dashboard and chain won't be bothered by the water. Just don't direct any high pressure water at the fork seals, at the dash, your chain, or in close proximity to anything with wires attaching to it. Be careful with high pressure being sprayed at your seat too. Otherwise, pressure washers are good for getting rid of mud that is caked on. For best results, use a sponge. Be careful using an abrasive pad on your windscreen. They scratch easy.

Spray on S-100.
Rinse
Wet rag to tough areas and rims
Rinse
Start bike and let it idle (steams off hidden pockets of water) while I blast the entire bike several rounds with the leaf blower.
Ride

Wet towel on the windscreen after bugs build up so much it's practically opaque egg art. Then a cleaning the next day. Occasional hosing after spraying some 50/50 Simple Green in a few areas and toweling off the runs. Really has to be dirty before I even notice enough to think about it.

Spray on S-100.
Rinse
Wet rag to tough areas and rims
Rinse
Start bike and let it idle (steams off hidden pockets of water) while I blast the entire bike several rounds with the leaf blower.
Ride

My sister's boyfriend rides a Harley. I tell him he spends more time polishing and wiping his butt jewelry than he does riding it and he gives me grief about never washing mine.

They got me some S-100 for my birthday last month and wanted me to promise I'd use it before they see my bike again, LOL.

They got me some S-100 for my birthday last month and wanted me to promise I'd use it before they see my bike again, LOL.

It really good stuff, but not a miracle worker - if you have 12 months of off-road mud and grime, it won't work well as a spray and rinse solution (pour some in a bucket with warm water and wash the old fashioned way...) But for those like me who like to give the bike a bath every 500 miles or so, it is brilliant.

For some reason I thought S100 was only for cleaning engines...is it safe to use everywhere?

I spray it on everything. Follow the instructions and you will be a happy camper! Again, though, just to be clear, this will not work on a bike that hasn't been washed in years... But it is great for the once-a-month or two cleaning...

Mineral spirits on a rag is great for lower and underneath spots where oil & grease mix with road grit... (also great for cleaning the chain.) The rag wicks it right up. Then I dilute a car soap mixed with carnuba wax, comes in a 1-gallon dayglo orange jug from Auto Zone -- great stuff--, to wipe everything down with a soft brush or fleece mitt, then a low pressure rinse with the garden hose, then a leaf blower to dry the nooks and crannies. Then a soft dry towel where needed on shiny parts to make then *extra* shiny. It's fast work and leaves everything spotless.

Another great thing: use one of those hairy-looking dusting wands to remove dust between washes.

About the only time I ever wash my bikes is after I've been caught in the rain and have spots or mud all over. I use one of those nozzles with lots of different settings. Never more water pressure than what a good downpour of rain might give. The 2016 bike has so many angles, creases and crevices that you have to ride it to get it somewhat dry.

But since I use a cover on my bike daily I use a lot of detail spray between washes. I also keep a small bottle in my travel tailbag. When touring, at stops when I need it I spray and wipe the windscreen with a microfiber towel. And then do the same to my faceshield.

When I clean/ lube my chain I will try to do a deeper detailing of the bike. Especially the wheels, which are always done last. While dirt, mud and grease don't show up as easily on the silver wheels of my 2016, I hate getting my knuckles dirty every time I put on the chain and disklock.

Besides the drive chain, avoid spraying water at the steering head, swingarm pivots, and near the wheel bearings.

Back