• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Self service or deal service?

AdvSplash

Reaction score
Visit site
I see some of you guys are not bothering with the Honda warranty by servicing your lovely NC's yourself, I presume the rules are the same in the US as they are in the UK with regards to the warranty and getting your bike serviced at a dealer to maintain its validity.

I am a fairly big mile munch-er, I have done just under 14,000 miles in 5 months and ride the same year round.

I would love to service my bike, myself, I have good technical inclines, knowledge and theory behind how things work, but as I only expect to have this bike until around mid 2014 (2 years of ownership) I didn't know if it was worth it or not as I may need to levy on the warranty at some point, but saying that I bet Honda will probably put any claim down to wear and tear due to the miles I'm currently doing.

What would you guys do in my situation?

I you were keeping your bike more than 2 years i will say do your service to honda for two years and after that do it yourself.
Anyway if i was in your place i will go to honda, just in case.

I like to do my service myself on all my bikes and trucks, it gives me an opportunity to climb under them and do a safety inspection while I am under them. Leaks , loose bolts and damage are easier to spot and repair.

Dealers in the USA can't refuse warranty repairs if the bike was not serviced at an authorized dealer.

To the other point of high mileages under warranty. A dealer cannot refuse warranty repairs under the guise of wear and tear just because the bike is high mileage unless of course the item is a wear item like brake pads or sprockets. Honda sold the bike under 12 months unlimited mileage and some bikes will get lots of miles and some won't. That is Honda's gamble. The ST1300 comes with a 36 month unlimited mileage warranty and some bikes roll up over a hundred thousand miles and are still under warranty. My ST passed 60K under warranty.

Thanks for the replies so far guys,

I think the consumer protection is vastly different over here, I have emailed Honda to ask for clarity though :)

I do really want to do my own servicing, I've had 4 Honda's since I started riding in 2010 and never experience any problems, they are great machines to me, but then that's all I've ever had!

I just would hate to start doing the servicing myself on a brand new bike (brand new in the way of first model 'ever' as apposed to the year of the model) then problems occur as I don't think many people have gone much over 14,000 miles from those active in a forum have they?

I tend to get bored with routine maintenance, unfortunately. So I usually use the dealership for routine, scheduled work. And then when I get the bike back, I wind up checking everything I can find anyway just to make sure all the nuts, bolts, screws and bodywork fasteners are where they should be and about as tight as they should be, and that there's really oil and water where they belong. I've been surprised a few too many times on a few too many bikes not to take this fairly simple step (so far, so good on this bike, at least). I also do all my own modifications/add-ons. That helps me to remember why I don't really like to do routine maintenance. Maybe I'd feel better about it if I were better at it, eh?

I am not mechanically inclined but i have great friends who are and tend to use and learn from them. At least for the warranty time for my bike, I will use the dealer for all the routine maintenance. Besides, I got a great deal on my bike that I want to support them as much as possible.....

TucsonRider

In the UK it is not necessary to use a Honda dealer to service the bike however to keep your warranty Honda parts have to be used.

This is the same with cars and has come about due to EC Legislation which was introduced in 2010.

Current EU law states that your warranty won’t be affected if your car is serviced outside of the franchised dealer network, it is subject to the work being carried out to manufacturer specification and using approved parts.

Until 2010, those parts were available only from the manufacturer or their dealers, while independent garages had also been critical of car makers restricting access to technical information about cars to enable them to service them effectively.

The new legislation allows parts makers to sell ‘approved’ parts directly to independent garages or franchised dealers, potentially cutting the cost of servicing and repairs in the process. Manufacturers have also been told to make technical information available to independent garages.

Hi Dave, I appreciate the information but I thought Motorbike weren't classed under that as yet?

I emailed Honda on the topic which by reading it contradicts what the EU law states? It's all good until she/he says 'if a fault occurs due to the repairs carried out by yourself'

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

You risk losing the warranty on your motorcycle if non-genuine Honda parts are used or if a fault occurs due to the repairs carried out by yourself.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Vanya Stoyanova

If you have a good dealer he is always on the customers side, i always try to convince the factory that it should be covered. If your dealer just says no that will not be a warranty problem shame on him. After all its ahm that has to say yes or no, even if it does not look like a warranty issue i will call ahm for the customer, if they say no a least i tried to help. You can do you own work just keep records,

If you have a good dealer he is always on the customers side, i always try to convince the factory that it should be covered. If your dealer just says no that will not be a warranty problem shame on him. After all its ahm that has to say yes or no, even if it does not look like a warranty issue i will call ahm for the customer, if they say no a least i tried to help. You can do you own work just keep records,

This SIR is why I will use YOUR shop for any maint/warrenty needs I have and NOT the shop I bought it at !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back