• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

automobile engine oil in NC750?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwtan36

Reaction score
Visit site
has anybody use automobile engine oil in their NC ?

i know that it shouldnt contain any friction modifier in it and it should be safe?

i heard that automobile oil may damage the magnetic coil?

anybody??:confused:

This is from the owner's manual:

"API Service Classification SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving on the circular API service label, SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903 standard MA, Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil (USA & Canada) or Honda 4-stroke oil, or an equivalent motorcycle oil"

My limited understanding is the MA rating is needed for proper operation of the 'wet' clutch, which cars don't use.

From Wikipedia-
"These standards, especially JASO-MA (for motorcycles) and JASO-FC, are designed to address oil-requirement issues not addressed by the API service categories. One element of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage.[11][22] An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label."

For that reason I suggest you stick with Honda's recommendation....

Last edited:
It's easy to find automotive oils suitable with wet clutch

has anybody use automobile engine oil in their NC ?

i know that it shouldnt contain any friction modifier in it and it should be safe?

i heard that automobile oil may damage the magnetic coil?

anybody??:confused:

On rare occasions in my early years I used auto oil, but have avoided doing so for many years now after finding Shell Rotella T6 since it is MA/MA2 rated, so technically a motorcycle oil in addition to diesel motors. But this is for wet clutch machines; having a dry clutch machine (i.e. Ducatis for one) would allow you to use any oil of the desired viscosity rating. Auto oils use friction modifiers; diesel oils use wear additives; different animals. The diesel oils tend to have higher TBNs also I think (total base number - indicator of how long the oil can resist acidic build up from blow by, etc if I recall correctly).

The stator & magnets don't know the difference between the two.

It's even easier to find diesel engine oil that's suitable for motorcycles: Shell Rotella T4, T5 & T6 oils are JASO MA/MA2 certified. (MA2 certification means safe for catalytic converters. (we were writing the same thing at the same time)

If it matters to you none of the so-called diesel oils in 5w40 (which are by definition auto oils too by API designation SN) meet both JASO MA wet clutch compatibility and API viscosity 10w30 or 10w40 ratings.

I know many folks use 5w40s with good service but technically these do not meet Honda's specification for the NC700X due to the 5w. I have used lots of Rotella 15w40 in my other Honda but only 10w30 and 10w40 meet specification for the NC engine therefore no Rotella product currently meets both wet clutch compatibility and viscosity requirements.

There may be some auto oils that meet both requirements but I'm not familiar with any.

As 10W40 is in the shop manual as acceptable, 5W40 will be just fine as the machine spends very little time at the cold end of the spectrum. Might provide better protection at cold start up, if you believe the auto/oil industry, due to easy pick up by the pump when cold. But the other direction, 15W40, would not be recommended.

As 10W40 is in the shop manual as acceptable, 5W40 will be just fine as the machine spends very little time at the cold end of the spectrum. Might provide better protection at cold start up, if you believe the auto/oil industry, due to easy pick up by the pump when cold. But the other direction, 15W40, would not be recommended.
My other Honda has 10w40 and 15w40 in the manual so the latter meets Honda recommendations.

5W40 is not in the manual for the NC, it does not meet specification, so I don't use it. I didn't particularly like it when I did use it in the ST1300 for the way it felt when shifting. That said and as I said this is only matters to you if it matters and plenty of people get good service out of 5w40 diesel oils.

My other Honda has 10w40 and 15w40 in the manual so the latter meets Honda recommendations.

5W40 is not in the manual for the NC, it does not meet specification, so I don't use it. I didn't particularly like it when I did use it in the ST1300 for the way it felt when shifting. That said and as I said this is only matters to you if it matters and plenty of people get good service out of 5w40 diesel oils.

So if 5W40 encompasses the full temperature and viscosity ranges of 10W30, which it does, and is JASO MA, it does not meet the recommendation. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back