• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can't see in rain

werdigo

Reaction score
Visit site
Left Baltimore Thursday headed for AK but rain and heavy mist here in Marathon ON make it impossible to see more than 50 feet. Can't keep face shield clear. Using stock windshield. Holed up in nice motel and may just stay another night. Advice from more - experienced tourers?

Left Baltimore Thursday headed for AK but rain and heavy mist here in Marathon ON make it impossible to see more than 50 feet. Can't keep face shield clear. Using stock windshield. Holed up in nice motel and may just stay another night. Advice from more - experienced tourers?

Mist/fog is scary in a car. I think I would do the same as you until the mist lifted. Not sure if you are having issues with your visor fogging. Solutions for that range from a pin lock lens insert to various wipe on liquids.

If you have good rain gear and do not mind riding in those conditions, research on the internet motorcycle dealers for the area you are holed up in.
Maybe they have something like a rainx product that can be applied to your visor.
If not, or you do not have what you would call acceptable rain gear with you, hang out a little longer at the Motel.
Find a good weather website and look at the five day forecast to see how the next couple of days are looking.
Check to see if the front is moving thru or is staying with you at the motel!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Marathon+ON+weather&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Of what I can tell, make it thru today and it is clear sailing for the next couple days (according to Marathon, On).
There are some anti-fog solutions and wipes at local fuel stations and Walmart/Kmart stores.
Are you close enough to a fuel stop to walk over and ask about anti-fog wipes?

Some thoughts.

God bless and ride safe!!

Michael

rain-x for plastic or meguiar's ultimate quik wax (or whatever it's called)

Well, I stayed over and just rode a couple of miles into town to get some lunch. Shield quickly became translucent and eyeglasses almost followed. Staying put was a wise choice!

Well, I stayed over and just rode a couple of miles into town to get some lunch. Shield quickly became translucent and eyeglasses almost followed. Staying put was a wise choice!

Ah, that reply was before seeing many of your comments. Good rain gear and tires and heated grips and vest. Just can't see! I use Rain-X on my antique car. I'll look for it. Thanks!

Werdigo:

Check and make sure it states it is okay on plastics.
If the chemicals are too harsh it could cloud up your visor permanently.
Another night in the Motel will have you waking up in the morning refreshed and looking forward to putting some miles in on the road!

God bless!!

Michael

Rain-x will help if it's the rain on the visor (on the outside) that is the issue, if it's fogging up on the inside there are other options...

I've got a fog city insert on my visor (just sticks to the inside)... the first year it even automatically tinted in sunlight, the photo chromatic part stopped working but it still keeps the visor from fogging up most of the time... even on cold damp mornings with me breathing heavy at a stop light.

Ventilation helps, but cracking the visor up also leads to getting wet in the rain... it's a trade off.

For the glasses you need something like "Cat Crap" ... I've personally had mixed results with it ... but it's an option to try.

and on at least on occasion for me, none of that worked and everything still fogged up... then it's just time to let mother nature have her way and wait it out.

I have actually used the HD Vision Sunglasses in foggy/grey conditions, and for me, worked remarkably well to increase visibility.

HD Vision Wraparounds | Polarized Sunglasses | AsSeenOnTV Store

But more importantly, if the conditions of the road/rain/weather, push you out of your comfort zone, stay put until it passes. A big cross country trip is not the time to learn to hone your skills. Do that at home, in a more controlled, familiar location.

Stay safe.

Regular Rain-x is NOT what you want. Made for glass not plastics.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Madstad recommends Rejex on their screens. Put some on this weekend and just put some on my face shield this morning. Let you know in the morning how it works as it looks like I may get wet on my ride home from work in the morning.

Using stock windshield
With a stock windscreen you should be having zero problems with normal rain intensity. The stock windscreen is low enough that your face shield will be in the slipstream and the wind rushing by should be clearing it.

If on the other hand you are experiencing fogging, I suggest a helmet with a pinlock anti-fog inner shield. I have a Schuberth C3 Pro w/pinlock and wear glasses when I ride. Fogging hasn't been a problem with that combo, especially if I crack the shield a tiny bit and remember to keep the helmet vents open.

I also like the advice jayceegee and some others have given (and you figured out yourself)...If in doubt...park it.

Last edited:
Madstad recommends Rejex on their screens. Put some on this weekend and just put some on my face shield this morning. Let you know in the morning how it works as it looks like I may get wet on my ride home from work in the morning.

I hope it turns out better for you than it did for me... madstad threw all the rain and road spray it collected right on to me when it treated mine... raising the madstad helps, but I just got wetter with a treated madstad...

I use Pledge All- Surface Polish on my bike's skin, my windshield and my face visor. A good quality plastic polish or car wax can be used also. I usually have to crack my visor when riding in the rain to prevent it from fogging up. That depends on the weather temperature as sometimes it will fog on the inside and the outside, just like your windshield. A good point is: If you can't see due to inclement weather conditions to the point of feeling safe, don't ride. A day holed up is a safe day and one that could have prevented you from harm. Safe riding.

An old Scuba diving trick my grandfather taught me;
If you're having issues with fog spit on the inside and outside of the visor and spread a layer across each side. It will keep most transparent surfaces from fogging. It's great if you're on the go and don't have any anti fog spray or cleaner.

Thanks for many good tips, guys. Update on my trip: Just arrived in Anchorage this afternoon, a 5,162 mile ride from Baltimore. A friend asked about my back and butt; they were fine but my neck took a beating from fierce wind gusts on the prairies. Well, I don't want to turn this into a trip report but I did start this thread so thought maybe I'd wrap it up. Thanks again!

Back