• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So, what do we like for full-face helmets?

Kiernan

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using an Icon Airmada for the last year or so. I have my Sena all wired in and a replacement shield. For the last couple of months, though, the forehead pad has been really digging into me. I looked like Peyton Manning during a time out. All I want to do after an hour riding is get home and take off the helmet.

So, what's the consensus on other brands/models? I'm eyeing a Shoei 1200, but the price is really putting me off.

Well, that's like asking what is the consensus on other motorcycles/brands. There is not, and there won't be a consensus.

Helmet brands tend to be made for different head shapes. Perhaps yours isn't molded to fit your head. You won't know if the Shoei is until you try one on.

I buy what fits me. The HJC brand works well for my head shape. But there are higher quality helmets out there, for sure. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
If you look at sites with helmet reviews, they'll discuss inner shape. It sounds like the icon is too round for you, so a more oval shape would be worth trying out. I wear a Shoei GT Air and I really like it. I was wanting to upgrade to a premium helmet, but there are other brands with excellent offerings at a lower price. The HJC RPHA line comes to mind.

Check out lidpicker.com. If you have no where to try on multiple brands and models. They'll get you in the ballpark for what will fit your melon. I'm going to use it for my wife because she has a weird shaped head. Years ago finding her a skydiving helmet that fit well was a b*tch!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I also have the Shoei GT Air, it's great. It may be just a little quieter than my Nolan N86 but feature and comfort wise they are comparable. The only reason that I upgraded is that I could not fit my Sena 20s to the Nolan. The Nolan is half the price.

I'm using a Scorpion EXO T1200. Low price and it has drop the down sunglasses built in on the inside of the e helmet also. I tried a Shoei and the material on the inside of the helmet pulled my facial hair

I have a Shoei head, fits like a glove. Expensive but great service and lasts a decade without any problems. I prefer the flip-up ones, now have a Multitec, next will be a Neotec for sure.

Sent by Motorola Moto G 4G

I had a 30% off deal on Bell, so I bought a Bell Star. Fits my head very well, and is DOT, and SNELL certified. No flip down sun visor. Changing the visor from clear to tinted takes all of 10 seconds. It's that easy. They are coming out with a photo chromatic transition visor, but it's not available yet. :( It's not the quietest lid, but I don't ride without earplugs so that doesn't bother me. Tons of ventilation also.

I've been using an Icon Airmada for the last year or so. I have my Sena all wired in and a replacement shield. For the last couple of months, though, the forehead pad has been really digging into me.
I know that annoying discomfort. But before moving on to something else, have you tried altering what you have? Using clamps, or anything, to compress padding or adding padding in strategic spots, may make all the difference for comfortable riding.

Ray

I started with a AFX FX-120, which was a fine first inexpensive helmet. But it was noisy and not overly comfortable (not bad but not great). I came to realize that having a really comfortable and quiet helmet would allow me to enjoy riding more and focus more.

So I broke down and bought a Schuberth C3 Pro - expensive but I found a good deal online. Love this helmet - very comfortable for my head shape, very quiet, good airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you are not supposed to do it because it reduces the crush absorption effectiveness of the helmet but you can try modifying the "hot spot" with a tablespoon or something convex. I had an Arai one time I really liked for color and features but after a few hours I had a red spot on my upper forehead. It didn't take much working with a spoon to get an extra mm or two clearance on that one spot.

I like my Scorpion EXO-AT950 (Neocon Hi-Viz option). It has the internal sun visor, has an optional Pinlock shield & insert, is quieter than my previous lid, has a removable peak, space for speakers, and most importantly it fits me comfortably & securely while providing the necessary safety features. All for a very reasonable price.

As your head is probably shaped differently to mine though, YMMV!! Not being able to try them on makes it a little more challenging!!

I use a Bell Qualifier DLX, light, comfortable, built in cutout for a Sena communicator, pretty quiet, and comes with a photo-chromatic face shield! Absolutely love it. I've used Scorpion and HJC in the past and the Bell is better in almost every aspect.

So, what's the consensus on other brands/models?

You will never get one, this is going to be similar to any oil or tire thread. Everyone will have something that worked well for them, the you'll have someone telling them that's the worst option out there and to do this instead, then you'll see 3 or 4 posts about how this is just like every other oil/tire thread...
For what it's worth though, I have a ICON Airframe that fits me really well and ticked off all my boxes for safety, comfort, etc. To put it in perspective, I could not fine an Airmada that fit my head at all, so even within the same brand you will get various fit shapes. The only thing to do is go to the shop and try on a bunch of them.
Also keep in mind that cost does not equal safety. I was looking at the SHARP ratings (not the only rating system out there, so definitely dig up a few more) and found $150 helmets that were rated to be safer than $600 helmets. Typically what you're paying for above, say, a $200/$250 price point is features, comfort, low-weight, looks, and (yes, even when talking safety gear) a brand-name sticker.
Add to that that even a $1000 helmet will not protect you if it does not fit properly, and all I can think to do is recommend that you find the helmet that works for YOU!

Great resource. Much better than trying on helmets in a store because it allows internet/mail ordering and no store will carry the variety that they have data for.

Thanks.
Agreed the $10 for access to their database can literally save you a bunch of "headaches"!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've been happy with the Shoei GT Air. Quiet, vents well, pin lock, flip down sun shield. I won't buy helmet without a flip down sun shield.

The flip down sun shield isn't a concern for me. I tried a couple of helmets with them and didn't like how they sat (or didn't sit) in my field of vision.
I've got an RF-1200 and really like it. I have a dark and clear lens for it. I keep the one I'm not using in my frunk for a quick swap. Takes me all of about 30-45 seconds to switch them out if I need to. The dark isn't dark enough to require that I flip it up and down, but still keeps out the glare and blocks the sunlight without being too dark. I've got a pinlock shield on my clear lens, figuring I'm using it either at night or in the fog/rain when it's going to be more needed. My Sena 20S fits perfectly in the helmet, too.

The flip down sun shield isn't a concern for me. I tried a couple of helmets with them and didn't like how they sat (or didn't sit) in my field of vision.
I've got an RF-1200 and really like it. I have a dark and clear lens for it. I keep the one I'm not using in my frunk for a quick swap. Takes me all of about 30-45 seconds to switch them out if I need to. The dark isn't dark enough to require that I flip it up and down, but still keeps out the glare and blocks the sunlight without being too dark. I've got a pinlock shield on my clear lens, figuring I'm using it either at night or in the fog/rain when it's going to be more needed. My Sena 20S fits perfectly in the helmet, too.

This is me also. I very rarely use the flip down sun visor in the C3 Pro. I have dark and clear main visors that are quick and easy to change, and have pinlocks on both (because they came that way - although I've had sunny, cold rides where the pinlock on the dark visor came in handy). The flip down visor tends to make me focus back and forth a bit and find that disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back