• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spot Gen3 tracker price increase

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those using the the Spot Gen3 tracker in the US, you probably got an email recently that the price of the Basic service was increasing from $149/yr to $199/yr, and they are adding a $14.99/yr maintenance fee.

I call their customer support to get details, and apparently they are eliminating the first level of Basic service (10 min tracking interval) to move everyone to the enhanced basic service (selectable tracking at 5, 10, 20 min intervals).

I told the CS rep I would have to think about whether it was worth the increase based on my use, and they immediately waived the $50 price increase for the coming renewal year.

Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of moving from a Spot to Garmin inReach Garmin | inReach

More $$ for the Garmin but I think the added features might be worth it. Subscriptions seem easier to control with the Garmin compared to the Spot. I seem to run into billing issues on the Spot when trying to use it only for a few months in the Summer rather than on an annual basis.

No complaints with the Spot tracking, but the Garmin (at a higher price) has some features that might be important. Or not.

My Spot was deactivated after a crash and about 12 months later I was billed for a couple of hundred dollars. Eventually I got it settled but it was a pain in the rear dealing with them.

Last edited:
Cancelled SPOT last year after they refuse to update their website to anything even remotely useful.

Agreed the website is lacking. I mainly use my Spot just to let the family know where I am and that I'm ok, or that I need help, when I'm out of cell coverage (which is most places in the Smokies and Blue Ridge). It's an expensive solution, but any of the tracker/communicators are expensive. I look at it like insurance, hope I never need it but want it in case I do (I figure it's about $14 per month and I pay more than that for movie channels).

I JUST got one of these last month for backcountry skiing in the mountains. It was useful for people to track me location and for me to send OK's when out of cell range.

The unit was $149 from REI and I went with the GECOS search and rescue thing plus 'extreme' tracking for $317 a year. Now it's gonna cost me $50 more next year?

I don't think your price is going up. I think they are doing away with the old "basic" tracking service that was $149/yr. that had one tracking level (10 minutes) and it did not restart tracking after 24 hrs automatically. I had the basic service. I was told the former "enhanced" tracking will now be the basic service - hence the price increase if you had basic tracking before (essentially making all users subscribe to the enhanced level at $199/yr as before).

The extreme level should not change. You will get an email if your price is changing.

wow ... that Garmin inReach is pricey. $500 for the unit and $25/mth for the service. I'm feeling better about the Spot Gen3.:cool:

You can always use the poor man's spot .... Google maps location sharing.. available now in the menu of Google maps... cost $0.00. You can turn it on and off as you want, or set a time limit and it will expire.
Another option is using Glympse. It shows real time movement and will even show speed (if you want it to).

Just make sure your cell is charged up and you don't go out of range of cell towers. So not good for off the grid areas of the world....

You can always use the poor man's spot .... Google maps location sharing.. available now in the menu of Google maps... cost $0.00. You can turn it on and off as you want, or set a time limit and it will expire.

Forgive my ignorance on this but I assume a smart phone is required to do so ? I am still working with an old Nokia.

wow ... that Garmin inReach is pricey. $500 for the unit and $25/mth for the service. I'm feeling better about the Spot Gen3.:cool:
Depends on which unit. You can buy an inReach for half of that. Nice thing about Garmin is you don't have to spend $200+ a year for the service when in reality most riders need it a few weeks a year. Overall cost will most likely be much lower using the inReach for some riders.

I only tour during the summer months so for me, paying Spot $200+ each and every year for eight weeks of service is not very cost effective. Plus, I hate their service ;-)

DeLorme inReach SE

Just make sure your cell is charged up and you don't go out of range of cell towers. So not good for off the grid areas of the world....

That's the issue - the Spot and other devices are units that work on satellite systems and work when you are out of cell coverage - which happens all the time in the Southeastern US mountains.

Last edited:
hah hah -- good one about remaining in cell range. chortle.

That's the issue - the Spot and other devices are units that work on satellite systems and work when you are out of cell coverage - which happens all the time in the Southeastern US mountains.

A bit off topic:
Which cell carriers are we talking here? Does anyone know if one outperforms others? When I'm in the Smokies, I find AT&T is useless, but Verizon does fairly well.

A bit off topic:
Which cell carriers are we talking here? Does anyone know if one outperforms others? When I'm in the Smokies, I find AT&T is useless, but Verizon does fairly well.

You'll have to compare coverage maps to see which is better for a given area. I carry two phones, on separate networks. My 2nd phone only costs about $3/month (if I don't use it. It's just a backup). I keep that in my jacket in case I get "detached" from the bike and can't get back to it to access my main phone.

You'll have to compare coverage maps to see which is better for a given area. I carry two phones, on separate networks. My 2nd phone only costs about $3/month (if I don't use it. It's just a backup). I keep that in my jacket in case I get "detached" from the bike and can't get back to it to access my main phone.
...talk about "detachment" from the bike.
I see a lot of people mount their SOS devices on or near the handlebars- a nono IMO
When you really need it, your bike may be out of reach for you to use the device.
I hook it on my person with a carabiner when going solo.

I carry mine in my jacket pocket for the same reason. If I really need it, the likelihood is very high I'm no longer with my bike, and may not be able to get to it (as in crawl).

Forgive my ignorance on this but I assume a smart phone is required to do so ? I am still working with an old Nokia.
Yes a smart phone is required, and the coverage is limited to cell coverage areas. It's limited but free for any with a smart phone (with battery life). For anyone unwilling or unable to pay for a spot device and subscription, it's a free alternative as long as you already own a smart phone and stay in areas that have cell coverage. Thus the poor man's spot.
I've used this when traveling to minimize phone calls asking "where are you?" Every few hours. [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Depends on which unit. You can buy an inReach for half of that. Nice thing about Garmin is you don't have to spend $200+ a year for the service when in reality most riders need it a few weeks a year. Overall cost will most likely be much lower using the inReach for some riders.

I only tour during the summer months so for me, paying Spot $200+ each and every year for eight weeks of service is not very cost effective. Plus, I hate their service ;-)

DeLorme inReach SE

Thanks for posting the link to the device. That seemed to be the best deal around. That is even a better price than if you buy the same unit from the same vendor on eBay.

It seems DeLorme is now part of Garmin. From what I gathered, the DeLorme radio has about the same features as the Garmin unit but for about a third less cost.

My research indicated that the inReach system wins over Spot as far as functionality. We shall see how the plans and customer service works out, since I just ordered the DeLorme inReach SE model.

The delorme se is nice. I guess the price advantage is being able to turn on the service month by month. That wouldn't work for me because I may get up in the BRP or mtns at any given time.

Wonder if we'll ever have 100% cell coverage in the US.

Wonder if we'll ever have 100% cell coverage in the US.

I doubt Alaska will ever reach 100%, unless we dispense with land based towers and go all satellite.

Back