• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Polish shields ???

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
Shields are expensive.
Headlights are expensive (car ones are anyway - I don't know about MCs for sure)

Is there a way to polish lightly scratched shields and tinted drop-down sun visors like the car headlight stuff?

Anyone tried it?

Seems simple......................yea I know.............................

I've used lens polish kits. As long as the haze isn't deep scratches, they buff out nicely. Just be sure to take your time, use plenty of lube to keep the pads clean, and follow the directions. Be sure to use the first step long enough to get rid of the deepest scratches. First time I did it, that was my error. Now, I make sure the first step is very well done before moving on. Just visit your local auto parts store and they should have a kit. Just be sure to apply the protectant at the end so that the raw plastic is sealed properly.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I would practice on a shield that you wouldn't care about throwing away first, to determine best technique and whether or not outcome versus cost/time/effort was worth it.

Personally I have never been very good at removing scratches myself :( but that's most likely just my incompetence lol :eek:

I've found waxing my shields with top of the line paste waxes and hyper careful polishing with microfiber cloths reserved for strictly shield use has helped a lot over the years.

**I would be cautious about introducing any kind of chemical that could alter the shield's integrity or cause it to get brittle and possible fail**

Beware of damaging weird antifog or other such coatings already applied to shields, and be berzerkly OCD about cleaning the shields prior to anything too! :D

Last edited:
+1 for wax, just be extra careful that your applicator and buffing tool/rag are super clean, or you may do more harm than good. ;)

I cleared up fogged headlights on an old Audi that belonged to someone else. I applied several strips of heavy duty, super clear 2 inch packing tape to the headlight lens. It worked great when I did it a couple of years ago, I have no idea if it is still working. My guess is that the clear adhesive filled and smoothed over the abraded surface of the lens.

Greenboy's comment is not german-e. Of course, I am russian in with these comments.

I use Novus #2 polish for plastic scratches. It also works well on clearcoat paint.

IMG_0095.jpg

I never sausage rude comments on a thread before...

OP: My experience on trying to save a pair of Schuberth shields didn't work out. I used something similar to what is posted above and when looking through the shield at night it reminded me of a bad acid trip.

On a windscreen I had much better luck since it was out of my line of sight and so I didn't get the Vincent van Gogh effect when hit with an approaching car's headlights. I really had to use some muscle though, the polish is not very aggressive at all but it does leave micro-scratches that on a car headlamp are moot.

The challenge for me was getting all the micro scratches out, which are greatly magnified when a headlight hits it at night. Maybe it was my technique, I dunno.

Give it a try if you aren't looking through it or you don't ride at night. Otherwise I would probably bite the bullet and order some shields. Mine were about $59 each (!)

Unless of course you are down with "The Starry Night" effect.

Last edited:
Now we are doing sausage puns? They're the wurst!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't really have anything constructive to add, though I do relish the opportunity to learn everything I can about restoring shields as I was probably a bit aggressive removing bugs last year and have some micro-scratches. The more I read these forums the more I ketchup in the knowledge department.

These puns are giving me a Guatemala.
(Which means upset stomach if you pronounce it wrong.)

Back