• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First ride on Piaggio MP3 500

GoRovers

Reaction score
Visit site
Longtime riding buddy Steve popped by for a visit on his recently-acquired Piaggio MP3 (3-wheel) 500cc scooter today. The front wheels are independently suspended, so you can lean the MP3 into corners, just like a motorcycle (see stock photo). My test ride was grin-inducing. :)

Lee riding MP3 030417.jpg

MP3-030417a-w800.jpg

MP3-030417b-w1000.jpg

2008-Piaggio-MP3-500-stock.jpg

My impressions after my first ride on my friend's 2010 Piaggio MP3 500ie were mixed. Power delivery was quite laggy, no doubt to a combination of high vehicle weight, low horsepower and CVT. Also, the brakes (while ABS) did not inspire stopping confidence. It certainly leaned and turned like a 2-wheel motorcycle, and the aftermarket Givi windscreen provided ideal wind protection.

Bottom line: a fun experience, but it's still a scooter and not something I'd want in my garage.

Specs:

Engine Type: Single-cylinder, 4-stroke, 4-valve
Engine Displacement: 492.7cc
Bore Stroke: 94mm x 71mm
Cooling: Liquid-Cooled
Fuel System: EFI
Seat Height: 31.0 in.
Wheelbase: 61.0 in.
Front Brake: Dual Disc
Rear Brake: Disc
Fuel Capacity: 3.2 gal.
Fuelly MPG: 52.3
Dry Weight: 538 lbs.

I'm still waiting for Honda to start selling their version of the leaning 3 wheeler.

IMG_0089.JPG

The 3rd wheel is an excellent idea from a safety perspective. You can enjoy leaning without fear! Tested for two years! :D

Piaggio MP3 300i.e. was my first 'bike'. Plenty of room, nice weather coverage, seat, but it's just a mega scooter... No performance, CVT, scooter suspension... I must also note it's not well balanced. Too much weight on the front and the rear sometimes wasn't stable and it could overtake the front! :D

Or, for about 10 grand you can add a tilting front end to your Goldwing or Harley. I've seen this in person but have not ridden one. Tiliting Motor Works:

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Last edited:
Back