• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Waterproof Neck Gaiter/Tube

AsureDawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose this qualifies for protective gear. ;)

There are a few options I've found in this category:
Aerostich's Gore-tex "Wind Triangle"
Rev'it's "Amazon GTX Balaclava"
Rooster's "Aquafleece Neck Gaiter"
And then all the other "water resistant" ones.

Of the three I'm gravitating more towards Rooster's, but I thought I'd ask what experience you've had with each type, and if you found any other interesting products in this category.

For years it totally amazed me how so many folks in Europe wore neck gaiters, yet very seldom did I ever see anyone in the USA wearing gaiters. I have always worn a gaiter, and there are so many ways to wear this product both summer and winter. In the Texas hot sun the gaiter is cool when wet and helps avoid sunburn. Now someone came up with the idea of puting skull faces on the gaiters here in the USA, and I now see quite a few folks wearing this product. It works both summer and winter, and is a must have for me.

Last edited:
I've been using gaiters sold under the Buff name for about 10 years. Warm in the winter, wet and cool in the summer.

I have not used any of the ones you mentioned. I use a basic fleece bandana from the local outdoor store https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-389/Oust-Bandana I wear it when the weather gets cold. I put on my coat, wrap it around my chin below my mouth and slide my helmet on. I find that it prevents air going down the neck opening in my jacket. It is one of my favorite tools and can't beat the price.

Thanks guys, keep'em comin'! :)

I have not used any of the ones you mentioned. I use a basic fleece bandana from the local outdoor store https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-389/Oust-Bandana I wear it when the weather gets cold. I put on my coat, wrap it around my chin below my mouth and slide my helmet on. I find that it prevents air going down the neck opening in my jacket. It is one of my favorite tools and can't beat the price.

Looks similar to the aerostich product--is it comfortable to wear, is it still somewhat effective if you wear it down on your neck?

cut up an old wind-resistant balaclava in such a way that it covers my upper chest and back and tucks in well with what I wear under my riding jacket. don't really need it to be waterproof. my jacket takes care of that when fully zipped. totally rules for such a meager investment, got no need for anything fancy-schmantzy.

I bought one of these because it was on clearance at 60% off in the middle of summer. I didn't think much of it but when the weather turned cold in the late fall it made a huge difference in my riding comfort, don't leave home without it! If I lost it I'd buy another even at full price.
1.jpg

I bought one of these

I bought one at the same time as Sumo... really happy with it.

I also found it decreased road noise a little by blocking the air under the helmet.

I was originally in the market for a regular Buff neck gaiter. They are good in the summer too when wet. They sell warm wool ones too. There is a store next to my work that sells them - I will likely buy one in the spring if I can find a pattern I like.
BUFF® Canada - BUFF® Canada |

I love the idea of a gaiter or a balaclava, so when the cold weather started creeping up, I bought one of each. I tried them both and it turns out I couldn't stand to wear either.

I felt like I was being choked. I know it's all in my head, but the neck doesn't want what the neck doesn't want.

I imagine a longer one that fits loosely around the neck would be better in that regard, just not sure which works best without too much discomfort (thus this thread).

I have a polyester (blend) scarf that feels great and keeps all the moisture/wind off of my neck, but the material absorbs a lot of water, so it can be really wet when you take it off.

...is it comfortable to wear, is it still somewhat effective if you wear it down on your neck?

It is made of fleece so I find it comfortable. I wouldn't say it is waterproof but it doesn't absorb water enough to bother me on a 30 minute commute even in the heaviest rain. I have not worn it down around my neck. I'm trying to create a barrier for the air flow down my jacket so keeping it around my chin works perfect for me. Being fleece I don't find it constricting. It stays on with a simple velcro strip.

I bought one of these last week, but haven't used it yet: http://a.co/4U1cyNj not waterproof though

it depends on which jacket I wear on how exposed my neck is, so most of the time I don't need anything. Last few times I commuted in single digits I just wrapped a shemagh around the neck to block the wind which worked well, but it gets too bulky to zip the jacket all the way up, so I figured I'd try the above linked "buff" thing.

Use a Rukka gaiter in cold temps. Windblocker isn't waterproof, but it takes a lot to get moisture in. Is just the thing to seal the jacket/helmet gap.

In summer I have several fabric 'snakes' filled with moisture beads. Picked them up at a town fair, but they work great. When dry, they store really small. Soak for 30 mins and the beads absorb water. Wrap around your neck so the ends are in back and you don't get soaked, but it does the evaporative cooling very nicely. Good for about 2 hours in 85 degree heat. Just keep a second in a ziplock. You can even recharge the first by adding water to the ziplock. Since I'm usually ready to get off the bike and get some water every 2 hours, it works out fine for me.

use those for hiking occasionally too...

I have a few clear containers that seal well that I keep partially full of water with a little windshield cleaner in it, and stuff a microfiber "washcloth" into. I use that for cleaning faceshield and sunglasses when meeting lots of dust and bugs. It replaces the ziplock well, as the lid is easy to remove yet seals easily too. These containers came from jerky purchases or Slim Jims or something of that nature. I change out the fluid every so often...

Back