• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yellow Lens for Night Riding

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had increasing trouble seeing at night with lights of oncoming traffic reflecting off road . At times it is difficult to make out the road with headlights coming at me. I have frequently seen an add on TV touting yellow glasses to help my situation. I thought what the heck and I bought a yellow Pin-Lock for my helmet to try. It has significantly improved my ability to see the road after dark with oncoming headlights.

Any other experience here with yellow or other colors improving ability to see at night?

Back " a million " years ago my father brought home some German made fog glasses, they had yellow lenses.
I have also have see shooting glasses with yellow lenses so it must help.

I have several sets of yellow safety glasses that I use when mowing and cutting wood. They do help in low light conditions and used them on a ride to Colorado also. I guess it's time to get a yellow pinlock now. Thanks.

An advantage of colored pinlock is how easily another color or clear is stored on the bike. Just a flat flexible envelope to keep one in. A spare colored shield is harder to protect and store taking up much more space.

I've got yellow pinlock insert for Schuberth C3 Pro. It clearly states DAYTIME USE ONLY! Orange and Dark smoke - track use only.

Every few years, TV ads become inundated with 'amber vision' technology. Been around for decades-sunglasses with yellow lenses-I even wore them in my younger years-they do cut glare at night. I stopped wearing them (don't real sunglasses anymore)-during the daytime, everything would be a different color while wearing the amber lenses sunglasses.

I did buy the "amber vision" or "HD" vision or whatever marketing hype they were selling a few years back. They worked out really well for me on poorly lit foggy days. But anything other than that, for example a bright day, sun or not, the lenses just make thing too bright for me.

On Amazon you can frequently find a pack of 4 "motorcycle" sunglasses which have a clear, yellow, blue, & tinted lens for about $20-$30. I decided to try them even though my helmet is a modular with a built-in flip down sunvisor. I know that they're not going to be as optically correct as my Revo, Bolle, Kaenon or Serengeti glasses that I wear off the bike for various activities, but for the $ I figured it would be worth having back up options in my frunk. Figured the tinted would help the visor if I was running straight into the sun, the clear would be helpful at night if I wanted to run with my visor cracked open. No idea what to use the blue for as I won't be riding in the snow(!), and the yellow is supposed to be good for low light or fog - not no light. They do change your visibility characteristics. Before dropping $$ on a yellow pinlock I'd suggest putting a cheap pair of glasses in the frunk and trying them first to see if/how they help you. All of the glasses came with a sponge backed frame with cutouts so it cuts out swirling air that might dry out your eyes, but allows enough to prevent fogging - they're designed for HD riders that go helmet-less or with just those 'pots'! Also came with a microfiber bag for each pair, that doubles up as a cleaning cloth. I've been happy with them so far for what they are.

Sunglass Lens Color Guide | FramesDirect.com
https://www.vsp.com/lens-tints.html

yeah, i hated driving at night with the amber/yellow glasses i got as a gift, though they were high-quality ones optically. A couple years ago I bought some VERY LIGHT yellow tinted motorcycle glasses that had anti-glare coating that worked pretty nicely for woods riding especially when in extremely bright or in tree-flash conditions... though still didn't see any advantage for night riding other than the anti-glare.

Back