• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

'Round the USA trip imminent, rough planning done.

peergum

Reaction score
r-atw.com
So I finally finished a rough planning of my trip around the USA, as a preliminary preparation for my coming RTW trip (in fact, somehow part of it too).

I posted the details on my own blog, here, including google maps for 4 consecutive legs (due to the limitation of how many waypoints you can have on a map) , but I'll summarize here for whoever doesn't want to click on a link away from the forum.

So I'll be leaving Vancouver, BC, Canada around mid-october - no precise date decided yet, depending on some pending paperwork (will and such...) - and heading toward Washington state, then Yellowstone (via Moon Craters park), then Montana - I wanted to say hello to the city that carries my last name, Hilger - then a little jump to Nebraska (just to say I went through it), and then up to Milwaukee and finally Chicago. Then I'll start going south, with the mandatory passage through Nashville, then heading toward North Carolina, South Carolina and Florida, where I hope to get still a bit of sweet temperatures - one can dream, might as well be lots of rain...

After going down Florida, I'll go back up to Alabama, then down again to Louisiana - always wanted to see New Orleans - then heading towards the big Texan cities.

I then will visit the colorado states, saying hello to Denver, then down to the Grand Canyon, then close to the mexican border to get a feel of what will come later, then toward San Diego. I'll then go up to Los Angeles, then will drive east to Death Valley and then back west toward San Francisco.

I'll end the trip with the Oregon Coast, Seattle, and back to Vancouver, BC.

The whole thing should not take me less than 45 days, and possibly more around 60. I quit my job, and I'll try to keep the budget as low as possible - camping whenever I can, possibly couchsurfing too (never have, but there's a first to everything) and as a last resort, using cheap motels - so I don't have any time pressure on me, other than having to be back home for the Holiday season. Since my canadian citizenship is pending, I may have to go back earlier, though, but I have absolutely no timeline for that, and if it looks impossible to be back in Vancouver in time, I'll just look for a way to store my bike somewhere and fly to Vancouver and then back to my bike's location - which would incur in unexpected expenses though...

So, I think I'm getting ready with all the trip preparation: tent, sleeping bag and camping gear: CHECK; bike gear for travelling: CHECK; GPS tracker(s): CHECK; TKC-80 tires, handguards: COMING; crashbars: NONE available in the very short term for the NC, so SKIP; GEOS assistance and repatriement: CHECK... I'm pretty sure I WILL forget something, and it will be a pain in the a** when I notice it, but that's life. I guess I'm going to learn a lot with this trip, about myself first, about the bike then, and obviously about all the people I will meet.

Looking forward to start the trip!

Sounds like adventure, peergum! But you're not worried about winter weather in the inland Pacific Northwest? We've already had some down pretty low, and it's always pretty unpredictable.

I'm sure you're looking ahead on your route but just had to chime in on Colorado this time of year... The passes can get very dicey. Sound like an epic trip! Give a shoutout when you approach Chicago!

I realize we all have different tastes, but you mention the names of so many big cities!: Chicago, LA, Denver, Seattle. That's interesting. I plan my routes to avoid any city over 1000 people, if I can! Traffic lights, congestion, noise, ugh! If a city has more than one traffic light, it's too big. But hey, that's just me.

I hope your trip goes well and ends up being all you wanted it to be. Be sure to post a ride report so we can all ride along!

Last edited:
Sounds like adventure, peergum! But you're not worried about winter weather in the inland Pacific Northwest? We've already had some down pretty low, and it's always pretty unpredictable.

When you come around 50 you start worrying less, you'll see when you get there... [emoji6]

Obviously I'm not discarding the risks but I believe it's part of the adventure. And if I'm stuck somewhere for a few days then so be it. Everything that challenges me is welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you're looking ahead on your route but just had to chime in on Colorado this time of year... The passes can get very dicey. Sound like an epic trip! Give a shoutout when you approach Chicago!

As said before, I'll skip what sounds a bit too risky and I'll check the weather forecast regularly along the trip. Again ice is my biggest fear. We'll see.

I'll let you know when I'm close to Chicago for sure. Thanks!

I realize we all have different tastes, but you mention the names of so many big cities!: Chicago, LA, Denver, Seattle. That's interesting. I plan my routes to avoid any city over 1000 people, if I can! Traffic lights, congestion, noise, ugh! If a city has more than one traffic light, it's too big. But hey, that's just me.

I hope your trip goes well and ends up being all you wanted it to be. Be sure to post a ride report so we can all ride along!

It's not so much we have different tastes. The cities I named are more references along the trip. In the same time would go to France and not visit Paris? These are names that I've heard all my life and I want to be able to put a picture on them. I'm not a fan of crowds or traffic and I love a nice landscape but I don't want to focus on just gorgeous places with no people in them.

I also hope I will like what I see and whom I meet. But it may also be my last opportunity to see places on this side of the world so I'd rather not skip them [emoji6]

Yes, Please Do! If I am still in Chicago when you drop by, I'd deftly would like to meet a fellow NC700x'er (Im planning on doing Route 66 and then drive back to Chicago via Colorado and Utah. 4.5K miles in 9 days).

Also, I lived in Toronto for 5 years previous to moving to Chicago, so Canada has a special place in memory lane for me. :eek:

The cities I named are more references along the trip. In the same time would go to France and not visit Paris? These are names that I've heard all my life and I want to be able to put a picture on them. I'm not a fan of crowds or traffic and I love a nice landscape but I don't want to focus on just gorgeous places with no people in them.

I like how you think. I have lived in many states over my lifetime and some of the best "points of interest" are within the heart of a city. I ride in heavy traffic daily and it doesn't bother me but I've likely adapted to it and no longer care. Using a similar example, you cannot go to Seattle and not see the space needle and it is pretty much downtown.

I hope you have a great trip and I hope the weather cooperates.

When you come around 50 you start worrying less, you'll see when you get there... [emoji6]

been awhile since that was even in my rearview mirror... i've had a few adventures.

Obviously I'm not discarding the risks but I believe it's part of the adventure. And if I'm stuck somewhere for a few days then so be it. Everything that challenges me is welcome!

1 to 4 inches expected here today at the 3000-foot level. And since it's storming out and we have 1" of snow already, in less than 4 hours...

As long as your planning is flexible it should be a great trip! One thing you might consider along the way is some form of onboard weather radar mapping so you can avoid/plan for local conditions. Also, what percentage unpaved road riding are you planning (your tires)?

Let us know if the North Carolina riders can be of assistance. Will check your route. Lots of pleasant and challenging riding in the NC/Virginia/Tennessee/Georgia mountains. It will be cool up there, but is usually fine. Watch the weather. Snows can sneak in starting in November.

Looked at your routes...lots of interstate ??? I know you are on a schedule, but you will miss the best parts of this country for a motorcyclist. I just did a 15 day trip to Colorado and Utah and did very little interstate, yet still averaged 425 miles per day. You will pass near some great places, so I assume you are taking some side trips. (ex. Bryce Canyon, Zion, Vermillion Cliffs, Smoky Mountains, Wheels Through Time museum)

Be careful of winter weather, especially in the west, Colorado has sudden storms and some passes close. In the south, we just shut down during winter weather. You probably won't hit any, but be aware. The road clearing may not be what you are used to. You may be good are riding that stuff, be we can't drive on it, so look out.

been awhile since that was even in my rearview mirror... i've had a few adventures.

1 to 4 inches expected here today at the 3000-foot level. And since it's storming out and we have 1" of snow already, in less than 4 hours...

Thought you were in your 30s [emoji1]

Regarding snow, well... if I can't make it I'll go south earlier maybe... still waiting for my heated grips... but I'll probably try riding in the snow anyway if I have to... now, if I can't see anything... what will be the point? [emoji1]

I see you are taking Hwy 20 over Mount Washington. That will be a good indicator of how you can handle the cold. If it is too unpleasant, you can back track to I-5 and go south. The temperatures will noticeably rise around Medford Oregon. Heated grips and a heated vest are your friends. :)

My cold complaint would be cold toes, i have heated grips but don't want to go as far as heated socks, my steal toe work boots don't help, wool socks have worked so far

Dude, you are the man. My current consulting project is ending soon and I'm going to hop on my bike and cruise some parts of Route 66 until the weather beats the crap out of me. Hoping to leave before the end of October. Depends on my client. Haven't told my wife yet but she knows I'm itching to do a long trip. I just went the HU meetup in Yosemite a few weeks ago. Great ride. I have a lot more confidence in the NC after that trip. Wasn't sure if it was going to be enough cc's on a long trip but I was fine. It made me ride more conservatively, which is good for me anyway. I'll be setting out from Orange County California and will head through Nevada to Arizona and over to the Grand Canyon and wherever else I can find a hotel room. I don't camp. F^& that. It may be cheaper, but it sucks.

Hey Peergum. I saw that you put your SW Motech Skid Plate on. Not sure if you are interested, but I always paint items like this with clear High Temp paint. It's just an extra coating on the metal for protection. Also, you can just repaint the skid plate any time you like and since it's clear it won't affect any of the black paint on the plate.

Back