• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thinking about a new bike

2brnut2b

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I have a small Honda NX250 to ride in the dirt, the NC is more dedicated for the road...I'm planning longer trips in a near future and the NC is not the perfect bike for this...I need more power, more comfort, more options, more gadgets...I now have a crush for a used Kawasaki C14...they sell for peanuts are very comfy and plenty of options and gadgets..., fantastic GT bike.

What do you think ? Other bike to recommend?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the NC, it is my all time favorite, a do it all bike like no other. Really...I have all automn, winter and spring to put things in place, so it will be a conscious decision not matter if I change or not...

Any input welcome :)

You have a ton of options. You should probably start with a budget and then go from there. Stick with Japanese bikes if you want cheaper maintenance and higher reliability. If you budget is super high go with a GS, Tiger Explorer, Honda Crosstourer, BMW RT, etc. The list will be significantly narrowed down if you have a lower budget for both the purchase and maintenance.

For a big sport touring bike I've been very happy with the ST1300. Pros are huge tank, better gas mileage, easier maintenance $$, handles sharper than the big Connie. Connie has more power from it's sport bike origins. Either one, or the FJR1300, will do a fine job for not huge money in the used market.

I say go for it, lol!

I'm unlikely to get rid of my NCX anytime in the forseeable future, and between it and my happy little CBR, I do have everything covered as far as what kind of riding I'm presently into.

*but* I can't rule out an about face and a bizarre tangent off in a completely different direction either, one day, so I know how you feel...

Life is too short, and there are a lot of neat motorcycles to try! :cool:

I have had the same conversation with myself and keep falling back on a used ST1300 or a new FJR1300. Those two bikes spark my interest more than any other although I will say the 2016 VFR1200 was a beautiful looking bike that I think might meet some of your criteria. I did not allow myself to ride it for fear of making a knee jerk decision so it could be uncomfortable as hell.

I have no plans of letting the NC go but like you, I need something with more power to share the garage with the NC.

I remember reading the FJR1300 is the bike of choice for Iron Butt rally finishers. I've longed for an ST1300, but having two motorcycles just ain't gonna happen!

I remember reading the FJR1300 is the bike of choice for Iron Butt rally finishers. I've longed for an ST1300, but having two motorcycles just ain't gonna happen!
I think yes but one factor is because high mileage riders have worn out their ST1300s - last year of new US model was 2012. In past IBRs the ST1300 was entered and finished in higher numbers but when you are laying down 30 to 50,000 miles a year you need a new bike pretty often.

Kawasaki 1000 Versys, Yamaha Super Tenere, Africa Twin.........

Thinking about mileage, here in the north we just have about 6 small months to ride and that is when the weather collaborate. You can find lots of bikes 5-10 years old with very low mileage on them. It is only a matter to know what model you want and then wait for the good deal...I'm not in a hurry as the season is almost over and the next one is still far from now...giving me enough time to make a good choice. I've been looking at the Yamaha FJR, Honda ST but the Concours 14 is still on the top of the list and I just can't really tell you why :) I will stick with a Japanese bike for obvious reasons. I'd like to ride them all (my slutty side) but I can't ;)

The st1300 is very smooth, considered more tourer than sport, fjr is thought to be more sport than tourer as you're looking used, go 2013 or later for the cruise control, I have read valve checks on the. C14 is harder.

I sat on all 3 at a dealer one after the other and the fjr just felt more me, so I'm probably a little biased.

Fjr was easy to maintain, can't speak to the others though

All those bikes are beauties and good bikes but I'm hunting for a big GT bike this time...to satisfy my hunger for large and long trips.
if you are going to do only long highway miles, why don't you look at a Goldwing F6B. My CEO bought a new 2015 F6B this past October for only $15,000 on the showroom floor-new. It has standard seating, bells and whistles and gadgets, you can get all kinds of storage for it. They have very good acceleration, high top end and can roll the miles like nothing to it.
You can also go with an older new vstrom 1000abs. My local dealer has a new 2014 vstrom 1000ABS on the showroom floor for $10,000

The st1300 is very smooth, considered more tourer than sport, fjr is thought to be more sport than tourer as you're looking used, go 2013 or later for the cruise control, I have read valve checks on the. C14 is harder.

I sat on all 3 at a dealer one after the other and the fjr just felt more me, so I'm probably a little biased.

Fjr was easy to maintain, can't speak to the others though

I checked with a dealer for valves check on the C14 and yes it is harder...the dealer charge 6 to 8 hours to do this !...big money...

Back